980cals over, sob. how to overcome it?

Options
I'm ok really, it's just I felt a bit sad, I had to vent. That is a BIG blowout :cry: how do you overcome those cravings for sweet and/or salty?? I really felt like sweets, but i thought, no. I'll have some herbal tea and an apple. So I did. But still craved. Waited a while, had some bread in case I was simply really hungry. Still wanted them. Avoided the dairy, but came home to sweets and popcorn and chips and dip because my flatmates had them. Then just kept eating. Had a massive pasta dinner too.

now my whole torso kinda hurts (after a week of eating really healthy, could my body be sensitive to bad stuff yet? i hope so lol)

so how to overcome the cravings if apples and tea won't? any tips/past experiences which you learned from?

:ohwell: thanks

Replies

• HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm ok really, it's just I felt a bit sad, I had to vent. That is a BIG blowout :cry: how do you overcome those cravings for sweet and/or salty?? I really felt like sweets, but i thought, no. I'll have some herbal tea and an apple. So I did. But still craved. Waited a while, had some bread in case I was simply really hungry. Still wanted them. Avoided the dairy, but came home to sweets and popcorn and chips and dip because my flatmates had them. Then just kept eating. Had a massive pasta dinner too.

now my whole torso kinda hurts (after a week of eating really healthy, could my body be sensitive to bad stuff yet? i hope so lol)

so how to overcome the cravings if apples and tea won't? any tips/past experiences which you learned from?

:ohwell: thanks
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others can give you some tips on certain foods that might help but my suggestion is to simply develop more will power. Make a determination that you will not eat those foods you're craving and stick to it.

Trust me, losing weight is so much easier when you're young--stick to it now, develop healthy eating habits now, and you won't find yourself paying for years of bad eating habits when you're older.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day, so start fresh. Don't beat yourself up, but try and learned from it. What could you have done instead of indulge? Why were you eating? What stategies could you have come up with instead of eating? Drink 1000ml of water quickly? Have a glass of water; diet soda; Perrier instead? Herbal tea?

If you are a salty and sweet craver, could you build that into your day? I'm the same way, so I start the day with a brown rice & buckwheat rice cake smeared in peanut butter (150 calories!) and I love to have a salad with lots of veg, beans, fresh herbs, etc and then I add sea salt and pepper, and a nice dressing. I also add a variety of seeds, so I get crunch, and salt, and the strong flavours that I crave.

I hope that helps some. It's a new day; plan your meals, and you will do GREAT!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • nelsohar
    nelsohar Posts: 5
    Options
    I like chocolate mini rice cakes. They are crunchy, chocolatey and and sweet. You can dip them in fat-free whipped topping if you like. You can have a serving of those with the dip for about 80 cals.

I also find that just a few m&ms (10 pieces = 45 calories) will do the trick if you suck on them so that they melt slowly.

Good luck!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I find that unless I eliminate white(refined) flours, artificial sweeteners, and refined sugar from my diet completely, I still crave them. I believe

I also try to watch my patterns (like stress/bad days) and if they coincide with my cravings.

Then, if all else fails, I take a walk, or something comparable for a half an hour. If I'm still craving the item, I put it on my "treat" list. I try to have a "treat" once a week, and I find that often, by the time treat time rolls around, I don't even want it anymore.
  • MAShort
    MAShort Posts: 1
    Options
    I also have had massive food cravings.

I found the best thing is to find something else to do. So, I go shopping, work in the garden, go out with friends, clean the house, stay in contact with distant relatives, finish up one of the many projects I have started, work on business planning, etc.

If you are thinking about something else, you won't be thinking about food!

I also used Hoodia supplements for the first two weeks of dieting to calm the growling stomach. Now, I am accustomed to a reduce calorie intake.
  • mrsbooth
    mrsbooth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been there and done that. What I try to do to take my mind off of the cravings is to first drink water. Sometimes it helps especially if I put some lemon in it. Then, if that does not work, I brush and floss my teeth. If the taste of toothpaste does not help then I chew gum. Good luck and don't give up!

I agree with vivakay. When I eliminate the amount of sugar, white flour, and potatos from my diet my cravings almost completely disappear.
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    first of all, don't be too hard on yourself. we allll have those days.

more likely than not, you (and your body) will be conscious of this unexpected binge and you will eat more healthfully over the next few days. take the time to drink lots of water to flush out everything you ate. also, just because your had a binge, this does not mean that you SHOULDN'T eat today... still eat all of your calories. your body will adjust.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I find that unless I eliminate white(refined) flours, artificial sweeteners, and refined sugar from my diet completely, I still crave them. I believe

I also try to watch my patterns (like stress/bad days) and if they coincide with my cravings.

Then, if all else fails, I take a walk, or something comparable for a half an hour. If I'm still craving the item, I put it on my "treat" list. I try to have a "treat" once a week, and I find that often, by the time treat time rolls around, I don't even want it anymore.

I LOVE it!!! I do the same thing - every time I crave something, I put it on my list too! If I get a serios Dairy Queen craving at 9:00 p.m., I promise myself I can have it the next day, and I always lose the craving by then.

What about having a "Craving Crisis" Sheet stuck to the fridge (I might actually print this up and stick it to mine)... whenever I want to eat something that I shouldn't, I'll go down this list:
    - drink 1 litre of water
    - floss and brush teeth
    - do 50 jumping jacks
    - do 200 crunches
    - do 20 push ups
    - have a cup of herbal tea
    - take a bubble bath
    etc...
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    The best way is to just have a little of what you are craving- or else you will compensate for having a little of this and that (which adds up), and then finally cave in and ferociously splurge on your craving.

Or the other way is to have some will power and go cold turkey. Some salty or sweet treat shouldn't control or torture your life.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Drink 1000ml of water quickly?

:noway:

1000ml= 1L

Not a good idea... consuming large amounts of water like this in short periods of time can be harmful... there is such thing as water intoxication.... leads to a condition known as hyponatremia which is a medical emergency. Not everyone's kidneys are the same.

In light of the OP topic...don't sweat it... you admitted you should have had more will power... so today... do it... keep yourself full w/ balanced meals... adequate protein intake staves off cravings and binges IMHO.

Cheers :drinker:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

What about having a "Craving Crisis" Sheet stuck to the fridge (I might actually print this up and stick it to mine)... whenever I want to eat something that I shouldn't, I'll go down this list:
    - drink 1 litre of water
    - floss and brush teeth
    - do 50 jumping jacks
    - do 200 crunches
    - do 20 push ups
    - have a cup of herbal tea
    - take a bubble bath
    etc...

I AM STEALING THIS IDEA. Posting my craving crisis list on the fridge right now:

~ Make one cup of tea
    ~ Drink one glass of water
    ~ Call my sister or my mom
    ~ Floss and brush teeth
    ~ Do 200 crunches
    ~ Clean either the sink, tub or toilet
    ~ Do 20 pushups
    ~ Practice doing a handstand

If I make my way through that whole list, then I will allow myself the treat...