Semper Fi!

Options
My name is Mike, I am in the United States Marine Corps. Before I enlisted I was at my all time max of 280 lbs, I had to lose 60 lbs just to sign up so I did just that, it took me about 5-6 months, after I shipped to boot camp I lost another 35 lbs. I was at 185 when I graduated, and like a lot of people do after they graduate I started gaining weight again, I swore I would never be over 200 pounds again, but about two months ago I stepped on the scale and I was 208lbs, I was dissapointed in myself and felt like a disgrace to the corps so since then I have dropped back down to 195, it is a real struggle that a lot of people do not understand. Being over weight is not only unhealthy, but for myself I have a standard I have to maintain, If I am over weight, I get "non rec" for promotion. So if I want to make this a career I have to start now. I have only been in for two years so I still have a chance to square myself away. I know how it feels to walk into a room and no one recognizes you, after I lost all the weight and came home from boot camp, my own mother didnt even recognize me, she walked right past me at the airport. I have another 5 months until I get to go home again, and I want to be able to suprise with that for a second time. So for every body that thinks this is impossible, take it from me, it is not. Just keep trying and you will see results, this stuff takes time. I wish you all the best of luck!

Replies

• SemperFit
    Options
    My name is Mike, I am in the United States Marine Corps. Before I enlisted I was at my all time max of 280 lbs, I had to lose 60 lbs just to sign up so I did just that, it took me about 5-6 months, after I shipped to boot camp I lost another 35 lbs. I was at 185 when I graduated, and like a lot of people do after they graduate I started gaining weight again, I swore I would never be over 200 pounds again, but about two months ago I stepped on the scale and I was 208lbs, I was dissapointed in myself and felt like a disgrace to the corps so since then I have dropped back down to 195, it is a real struggle that a lot of people do not understand. Being over weight is not only unhealthy, but for myself I have a standard I have to maintain, If I am over weight, I get "non rec" for promotion. So if I want to make this a career I have to start now. I have only been in for two years so I still have a chance to square myself away. I know how it feels to walk into a room and no one recognizes you, after I lost all the weight and came home from boot camp, my own mother didnt even recognize me, she walked right past me at the airport. I have another 5 months until I get to go home again, and I want to be able to suprise with that for a second time. So for every body that thinks this is impossible, take it from me, it is not. Just keep trying and you will see results, this stuff takes time. I wish you all the best of luck!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Hello Mike welcome and congrats on all the weight loss success you have had. Just let me say I for one am proud of anyone who can put that uniform on and stand proud. Great job.:drinker:

You will certainly make your goal if your post says anything about you, you have determination. It is also a nice place to make some friends and maintain weight when you get there. Best of luck.

Eve
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike - Welcome to the site. I think you will like it. We are all in this together and you will find much support so that you can keep that "non rec" off your record and get your promotions.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mike it is good to have you here with us.
    Like you said it isn‘t imposable it just takes time and we can do it.
    When I read about your mother not recognizing you when she saw you at the airport it made me smile. It also made me remember what happened to me when we went to see our son. Now keep in mind we had already been at his house a few days when this happened.
    We were waiting in a gift shop for a gondola to take us up into cave for a tour. While we were waiting I saw my son coming my way, he was looking around for something. When he got close enough for me to touch him he was still looking all around. I asked him what he was looking for. When I spoke he looked at me with great surprise and said “Oh there you are I didn’t recognize you.” He had looked right at me and didn’t recognize me. It was still a surprise to him how much I had changed.
    Last Christmas I saw my cousin for the first time since I had lost the 171 pounds. When I walked into my aunts house my cousin stood up, extended her hand out to me, while looking me straight in the eye, and introduced herself to me. I thought she was goofing around because it had been so long since we had seen each other. I shook her hand and said it is nice to meet you. Sheer shock went across her face. My husband heard her out in the street.
    She didn’t recognize me until I spoke. She thought I was my daughter-in-laws mother who she had never seen before.
    I have to reintroduce myself to people I haven’t seen for a long time. There are people who wouldn’t speak to my husband because they thought he was out with another woman.
    Like you know losing the weight really makes a big difference in our appearance as well as our health.
    I am sure you will never have a “non rec” on your record. You know what needs to be done and you will do it. Best of luck to you as well. :flowerforyou:
  • rachelfrear
    Options
    Hi Mike and welcome I love this site it will really help you out a lot I already lost 5 lbs
    where are you stationed? My husband is a Marine as well and we are in Camp Lejeune. I myself was in the Navy for five years and after bootcamp I was 103 lbs lol now i'm 155 getting out I gained all that weight now i'm trying to lose it with the help of this site. We can do it and WELCOME!
    :bigsmile:
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike! Really glad to have you here! Welcome and hope you are having a grand day! :bigsmile:

Loretta Jo - loved your story, very cute. :wink:
  • RACHEALMARIE
    Options
    Hi and welcome. We're also a military family. My sister's in the Air Force. She's in Washington D.C. right now. My husband is a Marine. We're right there with Rachel Frear, but he's on New River. Both of my parents and another one of my sisters are Army, and my oldest brother was also Air Force. I'm thinking of enlisting if I can lose the weight. Anyway, back to you. Welcome to the group and good luck on your weight loss.