Beach Running - what goes on my feet?

amandalc980
amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
My coworkers have convinced me that if I run on the beach I will improve my time on pavement. I know I need to go slower on the beach, and I know it is going to hurt at first. I am going to start by running no more than 5 minutes on the dry than move to the wet sand for five. Back and forth.

So what do I put on my feet? I have read lots of goot about barefoot, but the wet sand can be just as hard as pavement, so is that really a good idea? Any advice???

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    If barefoot is not ideal for you, use water shoes. Gives you flexibilty and feel but won't damage the skin.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I havent tried it personally, but I love my vibram 5 finger shoes for running on dirt paths...this could be good for sand. they are flexible and protect your feet.
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Geez, wish I had this problem. I miss running, it is so cold and icy, out running is out of the question. Can't wait until the weather breaks.
    But running barefoot sounds like it would hurt, especially those sharp shells. Oh how I love the beach craving it right now!!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    What I would give to run on the beach . . . sigh . . . I would suggest water shoes as well. They are comfy and form fitting so you probably won't get sand in them.
  • i used to run bare foot on the beach and it ruined my ankles. Definatly wear a pair of shoes that you dont mind getting a little wet and a little dirty. The lighter the shoe the better.
  • Well the vibrams would probably do well because you can wash them afterwards and if you get the KSOs they might even keep some sand out. There is the Hurache (?) sandal movement out there too- which are cheaper- google Invisible shoe. they wont keep anything out but will protect the bottoms of your feet at least. I honestly think you should just go barefoot and carry your shoes you are used to for when you get back to concrete. From what I am understanding of going barefoot -it's going to work the crap out of your feet in ways you never knew, and then on top of that you're adding loose sand to it... I would start walking it. It'll get your feet toughened up a little and give the muscles a chance to get stronger, plus sand between your toes is the best feeling on earth. Let me know how it goes! And if you go on the weekend text me- I want to come with you!:smile:
This discussion has been closed.