correcting someone else's technique - do you ever?

backinthenines
backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I hardly ever do, because in my experience most people never take it the right way, even if you approach them in the nicest possible way.

But sometimes you see people do stuff and it makes you cringe cos it's an injury waiting to happen. Usually I think "leave it to the PTs - it's not your job", but the PTs never pick anyone up on form unless they're a 1-2-1 client. For example in classes like Body Pump, often form is terrible but the instructors never take people by the side after a class to give suggestions for better lifting technique. I guess they are worried that by telling people there is the risk people don't come back and they want full classes at the end of the day.

Yesterday I saw a lady who's squat form was indescribably bad and who would sooner or later really hurt her knees, which were overtracking her toes by a mile whilst bending forwards with the bar doing something that looked much more like a "good morning" with crooked legs.

So I went up to her -- and I apologised beforehand and told her she coud tell me to go away but -- then basically showed her how to squat. I was glad that she took it well rather than "well what is it to you??!!", and we introduced each other by name, and chatted. So that went well. Still I don't think I'd ever make a habit of it because most people don't take it well.

So what do you do when you see bad lifting technique, poor running form, bad rowing technique, wrong bike set up in spin etc? Do you just let them get on with it cos it's none of our business?

Also if you're new to something, would you mind if someone approached you and offered improvement suggestions?

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    It's all in the delivery. If you're friendly and laid back about it (and it sounds like you were), people might appreciate the advice. If you're cocky about it, you might not get a positive response. It also depends on the person. Some people are cranky, or are having a bad day. It seems like you have good intentions, but even if you're super nice about it, not everyone will appreciate being told they're doing something wrong.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    if you are warning me about possible injury or long term damage, I'm much more likely to listen. Otherwise, keep it to yourself. Nobody cares unless it is about harm avoidance. IMHO
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I don't correct others but that is because I'm such a newbie! If I were at the gym and someone NICELY approached me and helped me out I would really appreciate it.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    I would absolutely appreciate it, but as someone mentioned, it's all in the approach. And not to be rude, but I would probably only take the advice seriously if the person delivering the advice looked like they followed their own advice aka in shape. I'm at the gym to work out and get in shape. If I'm doing something wrong and someone can help, by all means make my time at the gym more valuable!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Nope, never. I do compliment them if they do it right. Assuming I know what's right. There was a young lady doing push-ups one day. I thought wow, that girl is doing those so well and told her. She thanked me and said good, "I'm a fitness trainer". Whew, good for Soze (Smart boy).
  • Just be careful on this. I was at the gym lifting and there was a marine (who looked in shape - and probably was) that tried to tell my buddy how to dead lift. He basically told him to do a full deep squat where his *kitten* is pretty much resting on his ankles- and then lift straight up from there. Then proceeded to tell him that deadlift is not an excercise for back......

I was lifting at the time. I only had about 315 on there (my last set of 5 before I start doing 1's) and he couldn't even lift that. I weigh 160 and this guy was definitely 30 lbs more than me.

Moral of the story, take all the advice you hear with a grain of salt. I've even seen some PT's give terrible advice. Bodybuilding.com is a good place to get correct form advice.

Edit: I also told my buddy he was an idiot and showed him video of professionals lifting 1k+ by staying ~ 90-100 degree bend and working the 2-step pull.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    The problem is that most of the people doing the "correcting" don't know any more than the person making the mistake in the first place.

Their "corrections" just replace one bad form movement with another.

I see this every day. At our center there are a number of members who perceive themselves as "experts". Or there are spouses/parents who come in with their less experienced partner and "coach" them through their workouts. In the vast majority of cases, while they are more experienced, they teach more mistakes than corrections. And they are the most resistant to any sort of instruction from me. I've been doing this long enough that I know how to do it in a nice way, and my position gives me a little more "authority", but, still, things can get a little tense if a parent thinks I'm trying to show them up.

When I work out on my own at the park district, I am more anonymous--no one there knows my background. Unless I see someone do something incredibly unsafe, I don't usually get involved.

At some point, people have the right to be stupid, and I respect that.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    At some point, people have the right to be stupid, and I respect that.

Haha- point taken! :)
  • if you are warning me about possible injury or long term damage, I'm much more likely to listen. Otherwise, keep it to yourself. Nobody cares unless it is about harm avoidance. IMHO

I agree, if they are going to hurt themselves, I say something. Otherwise I tell the PT.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    I usually just chuckle under my breath and continue on my way. If it is dangerous, I might say something. But I usually stay pretty focused on my own thing at the gym, so I probably wouldn't notice anything in the first place.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    I usually walk up and go something like: "Aahahaha, WTF are you doing!? Let me show you how to do it RIGHT!" and then push them to the side.

Actually, I try to gauge if they look friendly and receptive and might offer a suggestion, otherwise I leave them alone.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    The problem is that most of the people doing the "correcting" don't know any more than the person making the mistake in the first place.

Unless you are qualified to teach proper exercise technique, most likely better to stay out of it. Also, by PTs I'm assuming everyone means trainers as opposed to Physical Therapists (which is what the abbreviation is really for). I hope that personal trainers at gyms aren't referring to themselves as PTs as there is a licensing issue with that!
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    I usually walk up and go something like: "Aahahaha, WTF are you doing!? Let me show you how to do it RIGHT!" and then push them to the side.

Actually, I try to gauge if they look friendly and receptive and might offer a suggestion, otherwise I leave them alone.

That would be so funny to see you do that, but only if you weren't doing it to me!!! :laugh:

On a serious note i always worry that my form is bad when i'm doing squats so i'd appreciate any helpful comments, the problem is you can't tell just by looking at a person wether they'll appreciate your help or not :ohwell:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I do a variation on a rowing machine...one grip over hand one underhand and I row to the side...I twist etc...it provides a workout to a different set of muscles...so a guy asked me really nicely what difference was I experiencing by doing it that way etc...I found that to be a wonderfu approach...yes my form was different but it was purposeful..
    So I think I might ask in an inquisitive way..."excuse me...I notice that you are only going half way down on your squats or leaning forward on your toes...what are you working doing it that way instead of the more traditional form ...and then demonstrate an approriate form" If they have a purpose or are not interested they will ignore you or explain....if they didn't know they were doing it wrong I bet they ake adjustments or start asking questions...it may be a bit passive aggressive but I think it would be how I would approach a stranger on something like that....
    If someone wold like to approach me on my complete lack of punctuation lately I would apprecite that..LOL
  • backinthenines

Unless you are qualified to teach proper exercise technique, most likely better to stay out of it. Also, by PTs I'm assuming everyone means trainers as opposed to Physical Therapists (which is what the abbreviation is really for). I hope that personal trainers at gyms aren't referring to themselves as PTs as there is a licensing issue with that!

Depends where you are. I'm in the UK and PTs are personal trainers.

Physios or physiotherapists where I come from would never call themselves PTs.
  • backinthenines
    Really interesting replies and I agree with what most people have said. In particular "people have a right to be stupid" and unless it's really dangerous, keep schtum.

The reason I was pondering was because someone recently posted (in a different context) that he felt that the people who had been successful in their weightloss had a "responsibility" to the community to share what has worked for them, rather than keeping it to themselves leaving those who haven't yet made it in the dark. I thought it was an interesting argument and was wondering if people who are reasonably proficient in any sport feel they have a responsibility to share their knowledge, when mostly that's not actually appreciated, especially when uninvited.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    The only time I would do that is if I see them doing some major damage to themselves and I would gladly take any advice given if its in my best interest. In no way do I know everything.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    I don't think there's quite a "responsibility" to share the secrets of your success, but when you're a member of a social support group it's certainly makes sense to do so within your group setting.

That being said, if I joined a group at the gym that was set up in a similar manner to MFP where people joined with the intention of looking for advice and to support one another then you certainly would see a lot of assistance being offered. As it is, most people that go to the gym just want to get their work done, be left alone, and go home.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Really interesting replies and I agree with what most people have said. In particular "people have a right to be stupid" and unless it's really dangerous, keep schtum.

The reason I was pondering was because someone recently posted (in a different context) that he felt that the people who had been successful in their weightloss had a "responsibility" to the community to share what has worked for them, rather than keeping it to themselves leaving those who haven't yet made it in the dark. I thought it was an interesting argument and was wondering if people who are reasonably proficient in any sport feel they have a responsibility to share their knowledge, when mostly that's not actually appreciated, especially when uninvited.

I still go back to the point that, however well intended, most people--even those who are "successful", whether it's weight loss or fitness--are not qualified to give advice to others. Half the time people don't really know why they were successful--they confuse "cause" with "coincidence". Or they have no broad understanding of the subject or of individual needs or limitations--so what "worked" for them, even if they have correctly identified it, might be completely inappropriate for someone else.

Even on a site like this--set up specifically for people to give advice--at any given moment, at least 50% of the "recommendations" being given to others are either misleading or flat out wrong. And this site is way, way better than most in that most people here are really supportive and have the best intentions.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Back on topic: not unless they're doing something incredibly dangerous or they ask for it. But I work out in a powerlifting gym... so most of the people who I see (a) know what they're doing and (b) are lifting sufficient poundage that they don't want or need advice from scrawny little me. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.