question about achiness

KateHumphrey
KateHumphrey Posts: 36
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm not pushing myself too much, but days that I work out I feel great, then the next day I'm wicked achy. And it's everywhere. Am I doing too much? Do I work out through the ache to make it go away? I don't want to do the wrong thing and hurt yself... Any advice? Thanks :)
~Kate

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I've noticed that once I start moving, the aches go away. Endorphins are wonderful pain relievers!

But if exercising makes it feel worse... that's another story.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    I feel your pain. I started taking tylenol pm at night (just one because I feel like crap in the morning if I take two.) Then on days I feel achy I take ibuprofren (spellings not my strongpoint) every four hours. It stops me from focusing on the pain. I've been working out hard the last two weeks, and now I found myself not as achy or tired. Good luck and I hope it works for you. :)
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    I know how you feel.. I hope its not a bad thing because I feel it all the time lol.
  • Achy as in having trouble functioning in FROM (full ranges of motion) or sore muscularly?? I have been pushing myself too hard through pain my whole ballerina career and have had to go through a ton of physcial therapy just to get normal function back so that I can exercise without doing damage..
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    make sure you are warming up and cooling down. Soak in a nice warm tub of epsom salt. Ibruprofen if it is unbearable. When you wake up in the morning, stretch and get some of the kinks out. Do more exercise (getting those muscles warmed up and using them will make the pain go away...at least temporarily)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Your carb/pro/fat intake is way too low. If you are working out make sure to eat calories burned during exercise. Carbs, protein and fat are fuel for the body. Muscles ache because you're not getting enough protein for muscle repair.
  • Protien has always been my weakness. And I'm working on eating more!! I got protien/meal drinks for snacks to try to boost numbers... it's no an unbearable ache, just enough to be noticed. Thanks for all the help, it's good to know I'm not alone!!
  • There are conflicting opinions and studies - like with everything - but I have been adding glutamine to my post-workout shake and seem to have noticed less aching/soreness and quicker recovery. May not work for everyone but it seems to for me so am going to stick with it. Also agree with poster re: cardio who said that the first few minutes usually burn off that soreness. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.