Treats

Options
Just wondered how everyone else managed their diet on a long term basis? I have about 60lbs left to lose which is going to take some time and I don't want to end up feeling really deprived of goodies as I know that's when I'll binge. I have done a few weeks 'cold turkey' with no alcohol, refined carbs, diet coke and very little sugar but it's Friday night here and I could happily demolish a few glasses of wine!(but I won't)... Any tips or ideas or just what other people do would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• misshenn78
    Options
    Wine is pretty low-cal - I won't give it up! Ice cream is my biggest treat - and I got some weight watchers ice cream bars that are pretty tasty, and very low-cal

Glass of wine is only about 60 calories.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm following some of the tips found in the book, The Four Hour Body. Through the week it's a low carb diet and then one day a week is considered a 'binge' day. This is helping me to be strict during the week, knowing that I can have what I want for that one day.

I think it's important to not deprive yourself. Many diet plans will say this...find a way to integrate an occasional treat into your health goals!

Tammy
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Have a wine spritzer. Wine is one thing I won't give up. I just make sure I have enough calories left over to have a glass or two.
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I guess being fitter is a question of decision for your whole life...I'm not a professional but it seams to me that when coming back to old habits, the body must come back to the old size...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about wanting a treat now and then. Go ahead and have one, even if it puts you over your calories. It won't harm your long term progress. Chances are, you won't notice it in terms of weight loss at all if it's just once a week. But, don't be surprised if there comes a point when you no longer want sweets. I've been off refined sugar for about 3 weeks and I have no desire to break out a Coke or a Snickers. It just doesn't interest me anymore. And believe me, I had the biggest sweet tooth, I had been addicted to candy since I was a kid. But we have some chocolate (which I love) on top of the refrigerator and I haven't been tempted at all.
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think that if you fully stick to your diet, with no cheating, you'll lose weight faster. BUT, I also think if you have ONE bite of a cookie, just for the taste of it, you'll probably be okay. Once you hit your goal, you'll be able to eat the foods you love, in moderation. Like eating one slice of pizza, with a large salad once every couple weeks would be okay. If you stick to healthy eating on a daily basis, then you can afford to eat the 'junk food' occassionally and in smaller quantities. It's not easy, but isn't it SOOO worth it?! Good luck!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Carnation's light hot chocolate (60% less calories than the original)? Only 45 calories in three tablespoons, and I swear, it's AMAZING! It curbs my sweet chocolate cravings....And even if you double it to make an extra large cup, that's only 90 calories! You could top it with some fat-free or low-fat Cool Whip if you like (I don't, though)....What I DO do is sometimes mix it with coffee, and then I have a nice, low-cal cafe mocha!!! Just a thought!
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i thought it was about 120cals for a small 125ml glass?? :s thats what ive been counting it as anyway lol
  • em_lou007
    Options
    Hiya!!

I've found that Mikado sticks are great - only 11 cals per stick (I suck them like a lollipop to make the choc last longer!!). Of course diet drinks are the way forward :smile: and I keep dark choc handy broken up into squares (so I don't feel the need to break off more than I can have!!).

Other than that I try to balance out over a couple of days e.g. I'm having takeaway pizza tomorrow night so I won't go over board (a little bit of most things of my husbands!) (can't do without garlic bread lol!!) but today and Sunday i'll keep some calories in hand. I'll also try to eat healthy all day tomorrow and exercise to gain more cals there (but I won't over do it as I don't want to go into starvation mode.

I lost nearly 3 stone with a well known group but have now changed tracks as I was finding that too hard in the end.

Keep going with it and keep in touch if you need/want to :smile:

Take care and good luck!!!

xx
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i thought it was about 120cals for a small 125ml glass?? :s thats what ive been counting it as anyway lol
    It is. It varies based on the sugar content, but on average is close to 20 calories per ounce.
  • Allenegoshey
    Options
    Hi there! Try Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe bars or the peanut butter option from Trader Joe's. They have 32g of protein and only 26g of carbs. They are a little high in calories, but I cut them in half and enjoy that. I find that they are very fulfilling!!! You can even use them to replace a meal during the day. Breakfast or lunch. Good luck and stay strong!!! It's definately worth it!!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I look for things that I can seriously contemplate having be part of my "forever" life...so, Cooking Light recipes (tiramisu anacapri is a favorite among my colleagues at work), low fat quick breads (sub applesauce and/or fat free yogurt for the oil), rice cakes, dark chocolate Dove pieces, apple slices dipped in a mixture of fat free plain yogurt and low fat caramel sauce, cold grapes in the summer, fresh berries..... you know, the good stuff!

edit to add: there are some treats for which I've not found an acceptable substitute. Newcaste, for instance. Or real cheese.... So, moderation in all things, including moderation?
  • adriayellow11
    Options

A nutriontionist can really help with all of this. I have been working with one and was surprised to learn it isn't about the calories or sugar in wine that causes trouble. It didn't help that I was having wine right AFTER my biggest meal every night but she was mostly concerned that the alcohol was metabolizing all of my calories as fat calories--not good. It's not the calories, it's the alcohol!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was not thinking of this as a "diet" but rather a lifestyle change. Am I realistically going to go the rest of my life without drinking a glass of wine, or eating a piece of birthday cake, or having a biscuit? The real, true answer is absolutely not. So I eat what I want. In moderation. And I log everything.

That's not to say that I eat chocolate biscuits or cake or pie every day, but today, for example, I went to the market and the bakery was there with their chocolate croissants. So I bought one, and I ate it. I logged it.

For me personally, the Western model of dieting doesn't work. I'm not good with deprivation. I eat cheese almost every day. I had a glass of wine with my steak dinner last night. I measured my portions, I logged them, and I moved on.

My advice is don't totally deprive yourself. Eat what you want, in moderation, and log it. It's worked for me, and I've lost about 79 pounds in the last three years, 24 since joining MFP.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think you have to look at what works for you. I have a huge binge mentality, if I allow myself too many treats or deprive myself too long then I lose it completely and eat anything I can get my hands on. I know now that the only way I can control my treats and not feel deprived is by planning what I'm going to have. I allow myself 100 cals a day for treats, which can be a low fat ice cream bar or two squares of dark chocolate etc. It could be anything that takes my fancy really! As long as I don't veer too far away from that 100 cal mark. I don't want to use up my hard earned calories on something that's not good for me, so I don't really want to go over 100. It helps me stay on track during the day, knowing that after dinner (when I crave mostly) I can have something sweet. Sometimes it's just a hot chocolate and a biscuit to dip in, other times i'll have a packet of crisps, or i'll save my treat calories up and have a slice of cake on a Sunday.

Have a think back through your own eating habits, and try to think about what you need to fulfil your cravings without doing too much damage. As soon as I figured out my limits and what I honestly could cope with, life got a lot easier! It's trial and error, if that means that occasionally you go overboard, then so be it, just make sure you learn the lesson!
  • mush1958
    mush1958 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body. It is also an appetite enhanser, given to people to increase their appetite.
  • roxybubbles
    Options
    I'd just like to thank you all for the tips/advice, I guess it's trying to work everything out so that I'm successful long term and I think for me, feeling deprived of something I love is a sure fire way of pressing the binge button. The tool that I am really trying to learn is 'moderation' - the lack of that certain skill is definitely what got me here in the first place! Some of the treats suggested sound yummy but don't think they are available over here in the uk? I will have a hunt for alternatives....
    Thanks again
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My weakness is chocolate, so I let myself have three little squares of a regular Hershey's bar a day. It's only about 50 calories, so it fits perfectly into my daily allowance.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating all the stuff I loved last year - went completely cold turkey and only lasted 3 or 4 weeks. I started again in December 2010 this time allowing myself the odd treat and its worked! Now 2 months on I haven't touched can of coke, not interested in cake, and would prefer a bowl of fruit instead of a bar of chocolate! There are days when Ive had a rubbish week at work and I want to just come home and have a biscuit or a desert and so I will, but eating so healthy during the week and exercising I can afford to do it, and means Im more likely to stick to my new diet long term!

Go ahead, take a treat when you fancy it!