? Foods to eat to help reduce blood pressure?

Options
Hi, I'm new, so forgive me if I ask a question that has been covered before.

I've recently been diagosed with High Blood Pressure and I'm taking medicine prescribed by my Doctor, trying to find what works for me.
However, I was wondering if there are any foods out that, that by eating them, would help me NATURALLY reduce my blood pressure???? Or at least help my medicine to work better? My readings are still too high.

I do walk approx a mile everyday 5 days a week and I'm reducing my weight by approx a pound a week and I've cut way back on foods high in sodium. According to my food diary here, I've been below my sodium allowance except for 1 day since I started tracking it.

So does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks,
Prairie Rose

Replies

• beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Spinach, beans, sunflower seeds, bananas, soy, potatoes, dark chocolate, avacados, fish, skim milk. Read about the details of each of these foods and how they lower blood pressure on this link. http://www.methodsofhealing.com/top-ten-foods-that-lower-blood-pressure/

High blood pressure diet foods which should be avoided or eaten in very limited quantities:
    •Smoked or cured meats such as bacon, hot dogs, bologna, corned beef, ham, luncheon meats and sausage.
    •Canned fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines and mackerel. If you do eat fish canned in brine or salted water you should rinse it thoroughly before eating.
    •Buttermilk (high in sodium).
    •Cheese and cheese spreads.
    •Salty snacks such as potato chips, pretzels, nuts and pork rinds (scratchings).
    •Quick cooking rice, instant noodles and prepared quick meals such as frozen diners, pot pies and pizza. If these are eaten then you should check the nutrition information on the label and choose varieties which are low in sodium.
    •Regular canned vegetables. If you do eat vegetables canned in brine or salted water you should rinse them thoroughly before eating.
    •Pickled foods such as relish, pickles, olives, sauerkraut and herrings.
    •Regular canned soups and instant soups.
    •Ketchup, soy sauce, steak sauce, barbecue sauce, garlic salt, onion salt, bouillon cubes, meat tenderizer and monosodium glutamate.
    These lists of good and bad blood pressure lowering foods are not of course exhaustive, but will give you a good starting point. For more specific information on food that lowers high blood pressure check out the DASH diet for high blood pressure.
    http://thebloodpressurecenter.com/high-blood-pressure/foods-that-lower-high-blood-pressure.html

I hope this helps.

1145659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great post, Beth.

Prairie: I would suggest continuing to lower your sodium goal by increments. Now that you've managed to keep it around 2500 for awhile, try lowering it to 2300 and keeping it under that. Set a goal to eventually get it down to 1500.

Best of luck.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    Thank You Beth and Jessie - I much appreciate your help :smile:
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I’ve also recently been diagnosed. I am currently shooting for 1500 mg of sodium and tracking it in my diary. The biggest sodium killers are eating out and processed foods. So cooking and eating your own food as much as possible is very important.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    Yes!! Grocery shopping takes alot longer now, because I read every label for everything I put in my cart - LOL

I've also learned that when I need to prepare a food that was canned, ie green beans? I drain all the liquid off and then I rinse them off. Yes, I know....frozen veggies are better, but my family doesn't care for the taste, plus I don't have alot of freezer space.

Have a great day!
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Reducing sodium intake, reducing alcohol intake, and eating more fruit and veg can reduce your BP. Reducing cholesterol can also have an impact on BP, so eating foods that can help reduce cholesterol, oats (soluble fibre) and soya protein (26-28g per day), the research evidence is variable on that though (which doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that there's not enough proof). Exercise can also help to lower your BP so keep up the good work. x
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    one tip that worked for me was taking garlic...if you prefer not to have stinky breath take garlic pills and it works!
  • safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    good info ...thanks