High BMI? High % body fat? Be weary!

Options
I had my body fat measured by a personal trainer with calipers and she came up with 32% body fat. My BMI was at 27.

I was sad about the body fat and did not feel like I was horribly unfit so I had my body fat measured by hydrostatic weighing (gold standard when determining body fat) and I was at 23.7% Average and not obese!

The trainer was way off and my BMI wasn't useful for my body type.

I also found out that my lean body mass was at 127 lbs. I wanted to weigh 126lbs! Clearly that would be impossible because I would have less than 0% body fat!

I guess what I am saying is you could be more fit than what your BMI is telling you. Also, getting hydrostatically weighed will not only accurately determine your body fat, but will help make your goals more attainable.

Now I could still make a goal of 126, but I would have to cut down on my workouts and eat less. Not sure I want to do it. I like working out and eating.

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So my burning question is....

where do you go to be hydrostatically assessed?

I have one of those stupid home scales that tries to do this, and the percentages change half-hourly. It's pretty sad, really.
  • frogtox
    Options
    Very good info!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    That's good news! :happy:
  • Alison128
    Options
    I have the same question as Mirabilis... Where did you go? I'd be interested in doing that as well.... also, was it expensive to have done?
  • Aaronc909
    Options
    Where do you get hydro weighed at? I'm new to this and have never even heard that terminology :0.
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's an ongoing debate. The BMI is more of a guideline for a population, not necessarily accurate for individual. In the end, you know (or should know) what your ideal weight should be. Don't get too stressed about the BMI.

I had a similar experience, for the longest time I was obsessing over the BMI chart. I ended up seeing a doctor after I felt like I was getting nowhere with a TON of anaerobic exercise and a year of running a large calorie deficit. The doctor ran a laser body composition analysis on me and determined that I was at 25% body fat. Meanwhile the BMI chart was telling me I was at 35%. Gave me a ton of breathing room and I've focused on better nutrition and have now aimed my sights for 18%.

The analysis was 6 months ago.. I've lost 15 pounds and am looking forward to getting measured again soon!
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1) It is called HYDROSTATIC WEIGHING.
    2) I first was hydrostatically weighed at University. This time I went to a place in Portland, Oregon (where I live). Details: http://www.adventisthealthnw.com/Well_Body_Comp_Test.asp
    3) I suggest Google: Hydrostatic weighing [your city]

It is the most accurate tool to determine body fat composition, guaranteed.

It was $50 for the first time an any time I go back it is $35. Of course prices vary depending on where you get it done. There are always weight studies that use hydrostatic weighing and you may be eligible for those studies.
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    This is a great illustration of why BMI should never be used to measure individual bodies!

This article really opened my eyes:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

I *knew* BMI was a crock. 15 yrs ago, in my last OMGMustLose craziness, I had gotten down to a weight I was comfortable with. I worked out regularly, felt fit and looked fabulous. The then WW rules were that I could NOT start maintenance plan until I was within their height/weight chart. That was 50 more pounds (after losing 100 lbs) even though I was thinner & more fit than any other time in my life. They made me feel so inadequate and so bad, that I gave up and went right back to my old habits.

I wish that more people knew not to focus on arbitrary numbers that can't actually be applied to an individual. (nor to take the word of fitness center trainers who may or may not have had any actual nutritional/physiology training)...

Thanks for the great post!