protein question

Options
So everyday I am under my calorie count but seem to go over quite a bit on my protein. Is that ok or is that bad for you?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    you should be eating anywhere between 60-120 grams of protein a day. MFP is set super low on protein and fiber. You should be eating 25 grams of fiber a day. You can customize your goals and nutritional settings.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have any kidney issues, the extra protein should actually be beneficial for losing weight. It fills you up more and is necessary for your body. I think that, in general, the default settings on MFP are too low for protein.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    There have been quite a few topics about protein on here and going over. Many people say MFP's protein is low and you should be getting about 50 a day. I have also read quite a few places that any extra protein your consume and your body doesn't use will just be urinated out so its not too harmful to go over. (at least that is what I have read in many replies on these protein questions)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • KeepingitMovin
    Options
    I think it's absolutely fine to go over in your protein. I think MFPs protein allotment is on the low side.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Thats a good question I had one about sugar, Like a banana has 14 but isnt that a good sugar not a bad sugar or is there no difference? So what If I go over in my sugar intake but some is based on fruits that I eat?
  • RickCarter74
    Options
    I've worked with 2 personal trainers in the last few years and both have mentioned that depending on what your goal is will dictate just how much protein you need. For example, if you want to maintain your current weight, then eat roughly a gram of protein per pound of weight. Besides, even if you've taken in too much protein, your body takes care of the excess anyway. This has worked for me so far but yeah, definitely continue researching to see what situation works best for you.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that your protein should be set at half your goal weight. So if you want to be 120, make it 60. That is what I have always been told anyway. That may be wrong, but I have lost 30 lbs. with this mentality, so obviously what I am doing is working for me.
  • ereeners
    ereeners Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question this morning and consensus is that it is not a bad thing. Protein is good!!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    So everyday I am under my calorie count but seem to go over quite a bit on my protein. Is that ok or is that bad for you?
    I'd love to know what you're eating that your protein count is higher than your carbs. I'm trying to do that and fail miserably. I usually end up over carbs if even slightly to get only half of my desired protein level. I usually select whole grains (never cared much for white bread) but I still find that I'm over. The carbs in my protein foods seem to be outweighing my efforts.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    Thats a good question I had one about sugar, Like a banana has 14 but isnt that a good sugar not a bad sugar or is there no difference? So what If I go over in my sugar intake but some is based on fruits that I eat?

all of the trackable items could be more detailed. Like you said, all sugar is not created equal. Ideally we should be keeping low on sugar but mostly limit the refined and processed sugars. If you know that all of your sugars came from natural sources (fruits, vegetables, unprocessed sugars) then keep an eye on it but if you go over you should be ok. The same is true for fats. We should be watching more than just total fats - saturated fats are bad fats so you want to keep them low but if you log an avocado, you'll spike your fat count but it's a healthy (unsaturated) fat. I tend to use them as guides when deciding what to eat - if I could get 100 calories from something fried and full of saturated fats or something natural with good fats (like avocados, olive oil or fish even will spike your fat count from the omega 3's) I opt for the good fats instead. Sometimes you just can't help it, so those numbers should be a reference not an all encompassing, unyielding gospel.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options

I came across this site with some information. It should be a starting point but has some good information.
    http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

according to his 7grams per 20lbs theory, I should only have 66.15 grams of protein at my current weight and 58.75grams at my goal weight. That seems very low for me but I guess that's just what my body needs to manage my hypoglycemia. You'll have to see what works for you in the long run I guess.