Help! I need advice on how to get my daily fruits and veggi

Options
I was just curious as to how many of you are getting your daily intake of fruits and vegetables? I am not doing to good at it and I would love some advice, tricks and tips! Please help!!!!!

Replies

• nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Google some recipes for green smoothies. They are satisfying and yummy and have lots of greens as well as fruits in them.
  • gussmi
    gussmi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Salad...its full of water so it will make you feel full. Dressing on the side.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    V8 Juice!!! But get the low sodium if you have a sodium problem.

Stirfry mixes veggies with rice and meat.

Spinach and tomatos on sandwiches

peppers, onions, etc. in my scrambled eggs/breakfest burritos

Apples and peanut buter is a great afternoon snack. thought I haven't had this in awhile...maybe today

Strawberrie or grapes with lunch

Good Luck
  • jmanthei98
    jmanthei98 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I bought a serving bowl and I fill it with fresh fruite every week. Bananas, apples, and oranges usually. The bowl sits on my kitchen table, so that way if I'm hungry, I stop at the bowl instead of the snack cabinet. Veggies are a bit more difficult for me, too, but I do eat alot of tomatoes, fresh spinach, and salads. The key is to make the fruits and veggies as visible as you can. Hope this helps! :-)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you're not concerned about sodium V-8 is a great way to go. I plan my meals in advance and that really helps me to see what I am consuming and where I might need improvement. I try to have a serving of fruit or veggie at every meal (I eat 5 times a day) and I double the amount of veggies when I cook. That alone has really helped!
  • sunstreaks22
    Options
    I don't really enjoy having fruits and vegetables as snacks between meals (they bore me), so instead I try to have a fruit or a veggie WITH every meal. I don't dread it as much if I know that I'm eating an awesome tuna sandwich with those raw baby carrots. Plus, having an orange as a side for dinner really cuts back on some unhealthier options. I'd take a clementine over a side of rice any day! :)
  • jmanthei98
    jmanthei98 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    V8 Juice!!! But get the low sodium if you have a sodium problem.

Stirfry mixes veggies with rice and meat.

Spinach and tomatos on sandwiches

peppers, onions, etc. in my scrambled eggs/breakfest burritos

Apples and peanut buter is a great afternoon snack. thought I haven't had this in awhile...maybe today

Strawberrie or grapes with lunch

Good Luck

My kids love apples and peanut butter! I prefer bananas and peanut butter, or bananas with agave nectar. I put bananas in my oatmeal and Frosted Flakes, too.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I like to add a cup of frozen fruit like blueberries to my cereal in the morning. For veggies I usually get one of the steamable bags and make it as a side. Then I can eat the leftovers with my lunch or supper for the next few days, which helps fill me up without adding a lot of cals to my meal.
    I also like making pasta salad with a bunch of veggies added in, like peas, corn, and broccoli.
    Put some canned pears in some applesauce. I don't know why but it's DELISH!
  • Shelty64
    Options
    I buy organic frozen mixed berries from Costco (freezer section). I have 1/2 of cup of that thawed with one tablespoon of non-fat yogurt and 1 teaspoon of flax seed (63 calories) The fruit by itself is only 33 calories. Berries are lower in sugar than most fruits. Also, have an apple or pear. A large apple can count for two servings. A small banana (6"inches or under) is 90 calories.

Hiding veggies in a fruit smoothie is a great way to get more veggies in your diet. Or hiding veggies in a casserole or meatloaf. Load your dinner plate up with a variety of steamed veggies.

I have a hard time with fruit also, because I am allergic to bananas, oranges and apples; which is pretty much what's in season right now. So, I have to go the frozen route.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fruit fan, theres only a handful of fruits that I could truthfully say I like so I tend to have my fruit in the form of juice. I'm MEH with apples but love apple juice, same with mangos guava etc. You could also blitz up your fave fruit in a blender, add some juice, water or yoghurt and have them that way,

Veggies are different matter, theres only a handful that I DONT like but even my faves can get boring so...I cook them (slightly, ;like em with crunch!) , then toss them in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, black pepper...whatever takes my fancy. Toss them in the seasoned oil, drain and voila! My daughter loves adding tandoori seasoning to most of hers....what ever takes your fancy.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Once I got the HFCS detoxed out of my system, it was easy to up the intake of fruits. Before that it either wouldn't occur to me to eat them very often or they usually just didn't taste that good to me. Now I get lots of fresh strawberries, blueberries and banana in with a plain non-fat yogurt and sprinkle of granola breakfast almost every day. I keep apples and oranges at the office for snacking, too.

Veggies were harder because I *hate* prepping them. I would buy them with the best of intentions, stick them in the fridge, and forget all about them. I finally had to face the fact that I suck at washing, cutting, and cooking them up - it just ain't gonna happen. So I started buying the Green Giant steam in the bag veggies, lots of tasty varieties, and I can eat those anytime. One bag is usually 2 or 3 servings, but they're low-cal, easy and yummy so I tend to plan the whole bag in as part of my meal.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    i'm the opposite, I eat too much! lol What do you like to eat?

I like the http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php website because it explains the nutritional values etc.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    You're going to have to get crafty..although I love fruits and vegetables it's boring to just eat them plain.
    I'm going to be adding fruit to my cereals or oatmeal- sliced banana, strawberries or fresh blueberries.

Also I am attempting to have fruit or veggie with every meal I have no matter what.

It's better to eat fruit whole or peeled because you get the benefit of fiber and it's more filling to you. (just an FYI)

If you do vegetable sides try cooking it with different flavors like
    lemon+garlic+parsley
    chipotle and adobe sauce+garlic+onion
    cumin+coriander+chili powder
    garlic+red wine vinegar

Try to put it in what you're cooking already..for example shred some carrots and mix into your meat loaf or something.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try making homemade soup every week and eat some every day ; use all the veggies you can think of in a base of organic chicken or veggie broth. I use 7 vegetables in my soup and add a little tomato paste.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try making homemade soup every week and eat some every day ; use all the veggies you can think of in a base of organic chicken or veggie broth. I use 7 vegetables in my soup and add a little tomato paste.