Running on Treadmill

Jess0218
Jess0218 Posts: 138
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, been doin HIIT on the treadmill about 3 or 4 x's a week. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some other tips on running/how long/how far/ etc to chage it up a bit? Tryin to rid myself of lower belly stuff and I hear running is the best to help burn it off. Thanks for your help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    bump. Me too. Thanks for asking.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    HIIT is one of the best things you can do. That said, I like to add in some additional 40-60 minute runs throughout the week if I have time, just for fun and for some additional calorie burn. I like to pick a setting that changes speed and incline often, sort of simulating outdoor running. That makes it less monotonous and more enjoyable.
  • Jess0218
    HIIT is one of the best things you can do. That said, I like to add in some additional 40-60 minute runs throughout the week if I have time, just for fun and for some additional calorie burn. I like to pick a setting that changes speed and incline often, sort of simulating outdoor running. That makes it less monotonous and more enjoyable.

Thanks for that reminder. I do have settings and will try that tomorrow. Havent used them in awhile but that will def help me change it up :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Stop focusing on cardio and start lifting some weights. Looks like you're looking to lose about 10 pounds so you are probably not overweight to begin with. When we are already little it's just too hard to rely on the scale thanks to hormonal and water fluctuations. I came across a very, very long thread but it contains a lot of information. Type "relatively light" in the Message Board search and get ready to sit down. You can even message the guy who wrote it and he will discuss it with you.

I'm not saying to stop cardio all together. It's great for the heart and it's great for getting to eat a little more that day.

I'm 5'2" and I want to get down to around 118-120. If I don't see it I'm okay with that. He told me that if it is about physique and health and not about scale numbers then this is what I need to do.
    2-3 days per week of weight lifting and 2-6 days of cardio - as needed. When we are already small to begin we just don't have enough wiggle room to get enough of a calorie deficit to see results. I try and get 2 45-60 cardio sessions per week on my treadmill - I do a moderate walk for most of and up the speed every so often for a little more calorie burn. But I'm doing strength for 3 days per week - right now Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones. Will be upping the weights here soon. 3-pound weights are getting too easy.
  • Jess0218
    Stop focusing on cardio and start lifting some weights. Looks like you're looking to lose about 10 pounds so you are probably not overweight to begin with. When we are already little it's just too hard to rely on the scale thanks to hormonal and water fluctuations. I came across a very, very long thread but it contains a lot of information. Type "relatively light" in the Message Board search and get ready to sit down. You can even message the guy who wrote it and he will discuss it with you.

Thanks, i'll be sure to find that link. I have been doin some strength stuff. Im not overweight but have this lower belly muffin top that has to move outta the way cuz Im sure theres abs under there somewhere? hehe So i hear cardio is what gets that burned off.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Found this on internet:

How to do HIIT (Basically you run and sprint in intervals)

1. For 1-3 minutes warm up (light jogging, skip rope, etc.)
    2. For 1 minute, sprint (dash, run) fastly
    3. After sprinting for 1 min, start to jog and do this for 2 minutes
    4. Repeat the Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog for about 7 times or as desired. After running
    you should Cool down (light jogging for 1-2 min)
    5. Stretch and hydrate yourself

Tip: If sprinting for 1 min is too hard or too easy, then you can change the time to
    anything you want. Just remember to double the jogging time of the time you ran.
    (e.g. sprint for 30 sec, then jog for 1 min; sprint for 3 min, then jog for 6 min)

The trainer @ my gym even said it based on person to person how long the interval should be. For example, you can do a very very fast sprint, like 8 mph, for 10 sec, then simply step off the treadmill for 20 sec, then get back on. I tried 1-2-1 interval yesterday, and I think I would like try a shorter 30sec-1 interval next time.

About speed, pick something, and if not hard enough for you, next round get it up higher speed.
  • hpsnickers1

Thanks, i'll be sure to find that link. I have been doin some strength stuff. Im not overweight but have this lower belly muffin top that has to move outta the way cuz Im sure theres abs under there somewhere? hehe So i hear cardio is what gets that burned off.

I'm trying to do the same thing. Unfortunately, I'm learning a lot of it has to do with genetics and where our bodies store fat. Mine's all over but mostly in my tummy, butt and thighs. And Jillans DVD is amazing - I have lost most of my muffin top but still working on the front of the belly. I'm accepting the fact I may never have six pack but I won't stop trying! (My weight has only started coming off in the last month - the holidays killed me).
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    I love the serena williams interval runs..they are available on itunes or through nike website

I also like this website! Their workouts are prettygood
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/blcardiomachine.htm
  • Jess0218

I'm trying to do the same thing. Unfortunately, I'm learning a lot of it has to do with genetics and where our bodies store fat. Mine's all over but mostly in my tummy, butt and thighs. And Jillans DVD is amazing - I have lost most of my muffin top but still working on the front of the belly. I'm accepting the fact I may never have six pack but I won't stop trying! (My weight has only started coming off in the last month - the holidays killed me).

Thanks so much! I appreciate your input and I did find that thread you mentioned and emailed the guy :) The holidays did me in too.. haha...glad they are over... :)
  • Jess0218
    Found this on internet:

How to do HIIT (Basically you run and sprint in intervals)

1. For 1-3 minutes warm up (light jogging, skip rope, etc.)
    2. For 1 minute, sprint (dash, run) fastly
    3. After sprinting for 1 min, start to jog and do this for 2 minutes
    4. Repeat the Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog for about 7 times or as desired. After running
    you should Cool down (light jogging for 1-2 min)
    5. Stretch and hydrate yourself

Tip: If sprinting for 1 min is too hard or too easy, then you can change the time to
    anything you want. Just remember to double the jogging time of the time you ran.
    (e.g. sprint for 30 sec, then jog for 1 min; sprint for 3 min, then jog for 6 min)

The trainer @ my gym even said it based on person to person how long the interval should be. For example, you can do a very very fast sprint, like 8 mph, for 10 sec, then simply step off the treadmill for 20 sec, then get back on. I tried 1-2-1 interval yesterday, and I think I would like try a shorter 30sec-1 interval next time.

About speed, pick something, and if not hard enough for you, next round get it up higher speed.

Thanks for this. I've been doing HIIT for several months now but I like your idea at the end about goin at it then jumpin off and back on again...might have to do that one just to change it up a bit :)
  • try to run a little longer just to burn extra calories. but i do suggest doing abdominal exercises. i recommend leg lifts the best. there are machines in the gym for the or get on the floor and lie on your back and do them. there are plenty of other abdominal exercises and will lower your stomach. you say you have a lower belly muffin top and pick up weights ( maybe start around 10 lbs) and hold them. then lower your body from side to side, back and forth. that works your sides. but tieing in dieting also helps reduce body fat.

good luck!
  • hpsnickers1

Thanks so much! I appreciate your input and I did find that thread you mentioned and emailed the guy :) The holidays did me in too.. haha...glad they are over... :)

I do need to make a correction. I get in a little walking at work from time to time - which includes some stairs (I have a desk job). I can burn about 100 calories in 20 minutes. I've backed off on these a bit though.

It would be so nice if we could just target burn/spot reduce.
  • Try Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred and then JIllian's No More Trouble Zones. The latter has a perfect rating on Amazon. I have 30-day shred. I need to stick to it and know I would get results if I did.
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    I am big fan of HIIT stuff, I feel like it makes the time go super fast. Sometimes ill do a typical HIIT workout, like the other ones people suggested but sometimes I will switch it up with a song. For example Pump it by the Black eyed pees always gets me moving so when it comes up on my ipod ill bump up my speed to a slightly faster then normal pace (for me thats like 6/6.2) then when it gets to the chorus I will speed it up to like a 7. When the chorus is done i bring it back down to 6/6.2, then when the chorus comes back in i will go up .5 from my last spring and keep going back and forth until the song is done. When the song ends I will do a slow job/fast walk recovery for a min or two then continue my run until the next fun song. Its nothing fancy but it really makes the time fly. I also will sometimes just increase the speed .5 every 30 seconds on more upbeat songs that get me going.

Good luck, I hope this was along the lines of what you were looking for.
  • Jess0218
    I am big fan of HIIT stuff, I feel like it makes the time go super fast. Sometimes ill do a typical HIIT workout, like the other ones people suggested but sometimes I will switch it up with a song. For example Pump it by the Black eyed pees always gets me moving so when it comes up on my ipod ill bump up my speed to a slightly faster then normal pace (for me thats like 6/6.2) then when it gets to the chorus I will speed it up to like a 7. When the chorus is done i bring it back down to 6/6.2, then when the chorus comes back in i will go up .5 from my last spring and keep going back and forth until the song is done. When the song ends I will do a slow job/fast walk recovery for a min or two then continue my run until the next fun song. Its nothing fancy but it really makes the time fly. I also will sometimes just increase the speed .5 every 30 seconds on more upbeat songs that get me going.

Good luck, I hope this was along the lines of what you were looking for.

YES! Thank you so much. I have some songs that I use too that keep me going and I might have to do this trick :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I've heard that running is great for tummy tone! I used to run on the treadmill for 3 mins and walk for 3 mins and repeat between 30-60 mins of that. I could feel that my abs were more tight for sure! Just stick with it. I've heard running on a treadmills isn't the best though. I'm trying to get more track/outside running in now.
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    So my husband had me do the HILT running this weekend and OMG what a difference. I can not believe I haven't been doing this the whole time. I have never sweated so much in my life. I am not a big sweater and I had sweat marks under my arms on my shirt. GROSS but boy did I feel good. This is the only way to run on the treadmill.
This discussion has been closed.