Squats and other Legs Training - Roll Outs

sarasotatim
sarasotatim Posts: 179
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Just something I thought was interesting...for anyone that does leg workouts (specifically squats, power cleans/jerks, anything that works the quadriceps or thighs) my workout partner (and also kindof my initial trainer) gave me a good tip....after your first set or two, take one of the foam noodle type things you find in the warmup area, lay it on the group, sit down with it under your quads, and using your arms to leverage yourself, rock back and forth, using your body weight to roll the back of your leg muscles over the foam bar.....move that lactic acid around a bit, I'm able to get out another set or two more than I thought possible doing this, makes your legs feel better and the exercises easier :)

Anyone else do this already? Been using it for the last couple of months.

Replies

• arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Thanks. Good to know. Legs day is not my favorite :)
  • Mine either! I heard you can apply the same thinking to arms, not sure exactly how you'd do that though...maybe on your knees and rolling them out that way.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    NICE! Will do that next big O-lift WOD we do. Yesterday was back squats/jumping barbell squats and GHD's... I could've use that. Found eating a little extra fats helped with my soreness though.
  • Two words for anyone out there: Front Squats. If you don't do them, you should. In my training over the years, there is no better exercise for complete body work done in a controlled manner. (Don't get me going on explosive movements and how great they are!) Not sure about the foam roller...I'm usually too busy to try to not puke from my 4th set of deep front squats to worry about rolling anything!!!
  • Two words for anyone out there: Front Squats. If you don't do them, you should. In my training over the years, there is no better exercise for complete body work done in a controlled manner. (Don't get me going on explosive movements and how great they are!) Not sure about the foam roller...I'm usually too busy to try to not puke from my 4th set of deep front squats to worry about rolling anything!!!

I agree 100%!! Each week I do back squats one day, and front squats another....they rock!!
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Do you rest the barbell across crossed arms for your front squats or in your hands? I got to a certain weight and the bar was just cutting into my arms and wasn't doing me much good, so I switched to parallel squats for a while.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Do you rest the barbell across crossed arms for your front squats or in your hands? I got to a certain weight and the bar was just cutting into my arms and wasn't doing me much good, so I switched to parallel squats for a while.

aren't those Zercher Squats?
    In CF we do front squats with the bar up on our chest with the weight resting on the front of our shoulders, elbows out in front of you parallel to the ground, bar resting on fingers.
    Overhead Squats are the most challenging for me - bar overhead.
  • There are 3 techinques for them, I personally used a crossed arm technique, with the weight on my shoulders. The front squats completely change the movement and allow you to go considerably deeper. You may not be able to go as heavy, but great for you.
This discussion has been closed.