Craving a binge eating session- Please Help!

Options
The last few days have been terrible. I have lost 10 lbs since starting myfitnesspal.com. This last week I have been dealing with huge urges to over eat. I haven't gone on an all out binge, but I have found myself sneaking food; a bite of a cracker here, a nibble of my son's sandwich there. But really what I really want is a binge. Last Saturday I had a day like that where, due to work functions, I ate so far off the grid it almost wasn't worth tracking (but I did). So the question is, do I give in? Are there tips for not giving in? I think it is part stress and part carb-craving (I haven't been denying myself, really, but have probably cut back just in the natural process of eating healthier).

Additionally, my drive to work out has gone down, so that makes over-eating even once seem that much worse.

Thanks!

Katy

Replies

• heb14
    heb14 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    UGH, that was me yesterday. I couldn't get full no matter what I tried, so I gave in--a bit. Sometimes, you just have to let yourself eat what you want--comfort foods, etc. And get right back on track the next day! I feel a thousand times better today since I let myself cheat a bit yesterday :) Hope that helps.
  • MrsKAddy
    MrsKAddy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Katy,
    I've been there and actually gone through with the "binge" due to the urge to eat my emotion. I must say it was satisfying in the midst of eating the food but once it was gone I didn't feel any better. I say work through the cravings by remembering that everyday is a challenge and that what you chose today will effect tomorrow. Now I say that but will also say it's OK to treat yourself to your favorite foods once in a while. It's all about doing it in moderation.

I hope this helps!
  • perry12345
    Options
    I hear you there! I have decided to let myself have a "cheat" day (Saturdays)....i still keep track of what I eat and workout harder than I do the rest of the week just to balance things a little but I truly believe you cannot eat perfectly every single day! If you completely deny yourself the foods you love, I think you're setting yourself up for failure! If you're losing the workout motivation, I would suggest trying a class or something that sounds interesting to you. It's so hard for me to stay motivated when I get bored with my routine!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yeah that sucks I felt like that last week when it was TOM time. I wish I knew what to tell you I know having a binge day for me would be absolute failure cause it seems once you fall off it's so hard to get back on track. Maybe you should try to add more fiber, and or protein to your diet so you won't feel as hungry. I think it's okay to treat yourself every now and again but try not to get carried so far away you can't bounce back from it. Good Luck and I do feel your pain!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    what exactly is it that you are craving? maybe there is something you can replace it with, or just have a small portion. Its ok to indulge in things we enjoy sometimes as long as we dont go overboard. I find once I go overboard I have a hard time getting back on track. I also hate feeling the guilt if I go overboard. You could also try and have smaller meals throughout the day and then for an evening snack have something you really love. I think that is ok to do once in a while as long as you are not hungry and you are within your calorie allowance or not too much over! You can do this!!!
  • theTX4
    theTX4 Posts: 25
    Options
    I've gone through a similar experience lately. It got COLD, the salads I had been eating for lunch didn't sound good, etc, etc. So I took a few days off. There were a few things I learned: you can have a bad day and get back up and do the right thing the next day, and it's not really worth it. I felt horrible, my mouth felt yucky. Try drinking some water when those cravings hit. Or find something that's high fiber like bran cereal or black beans, so you get that satisfying "full" feeling.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This whole week has been tough for me because we are snowed in. My daughter made cookies and my husband bought junk food before the storm hit. I've been trying to plan a few treats rather than an all out binge. Plan a bowl of ice cream or candy bar then do some extra cardio so I can afford it. Either way, a small indulgence occassionally is better than an all out binge.
  • babalee
    babalee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up right now. Be proud that you didn't want to track the food but did. That is a very good sign that you are going to be okay.

Re: drive to work out has gone down. Don't give in to this. If you don't feel like working out, say to yourself, "I don't feel like working out but, I am going to get my workout clothes on." Then. Once you have your workout clothes on (shoes, too), then say, "Since I am already to workout I am going to just do ________" Whatever you like to do. For example, I'll say, "Since I have my workout clothes on, I will at least run one mile." Inevitably, I end up doing whatever mileage I was supposed to do that day.

Also, check out this book. It gives some very good suggestions. Look for it at the library. (I borrowed a copy and skimmed it)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553804340/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2748180015&ref=pd_sl_14hh0ahwzx_e

Make sure you keep something crunchy and nutritious in your purse. Carrot sticks are good. Almonds. Then when you crave something you can say, "I want that cookie or cracker but I maybe I just want "crunchy". Then eat the carrots.

Hope this helps.

eta: that link got messed up. The book is called "Mindless Eating"
    by Brian Wansink
  • hebeflora
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - its so easy to just give in. Today at my dance class they had two huge boxes of cakes and cookies and other treats and it was really tempting to just have one, but afterwards it did feel good to say no.
    I think its mainly just important to find what works best for you - buying substitutes, such as fruit. Also, I have found that if I'm feeling hungry, simply having a glass of water or squash settles me for a little while. And then after about half an hour I might have some dried fruit (my new love :) or a yoghurt if I'm still hungry.
    I think its okay to have a treat every so often, but just think about whether its worth it after you've eaten it, as it can make me feel even worse and less motivated when i give in. Hope this helped in any way. Sorry for the long tangent!
    Good Luck :)
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    honey dont give in. you r only hurting yourself. food is not worth think about how bloated and uncomfortable you will be after. think about how much exercise you will have to do to burn off that binge and ask urself do i really want to work that hard to burn it off remember 3500 calories = a pound
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,982 Member
    Options
    Google Sharon Livingston - She has some great ideas on this topic.
  • rgf610
    Options
    Katy - I hear you!!!! The weekends seem to be the hardest for me too. One trick that I am doing is to staying out of the kitchen. After 8:00 p.m., I go upstairs with a cup of hot green tea and try my hardest to stay up there. If I stay away from the food, I am okay but I start carb/sweet craving shortly after dinner. The nibbling gets me all the time too. Air popped popcorn has become my new friend.

Don't give up. You can do it. One day does not undo all of the work you have done. Your honesty with your journaling and your diligence will we rewarded.

Hang in there.

Robert
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I am really just craving a nice old fashioned heavy meal. Like steak and potatoes. But I also think I am at a mental platue. I never thought I'd lose 5 pounds, let alone 10. So part of me wants to relax and enjoy it while the other part wants to keep pushing for the remaing 19lbs I still have to go.

I think having some good protein snacks during the day may help. I'm thinking almonds.

As for the exercise, I think I am bored with it. I can't afford the gym and I work all day, so I am doing it at night after my kid goes to bed. So I am already fighting back tiredness, plus enjoying the first quiet moment of my day.

Either way, just reading the support and what other people are going through helps. I'll maintain healthy eating and will try to work-out tonight even though Friday's are normally my night off. And heck, maybe I'll give in to the steak sometime this weekend, but sub in veggies for the potato.
  • hebeflora
    Options
    Good plan :)
    if you're bored with the exercise you are doing, try walking to work or walking your child to school if its possible - even that will make a huge difference! and search around for a class that you enjoy - i recently joined a zumba class which is a very high calorie burner as well as being really fun - you hardly notice you are working so hard. And the one i go to is £3 a session (if you're in america thats about $4.80) so doesnt break the bank as its only once a week. Alternatively, Youtube might possibly have some kind of fun workouts.. have a look and see what you find :)
    Wishing you the best of luck! Keep it up, sounds like you are doing a great job :)