Best shoes for work out?

Options
I am in need of a new pair of shoes and I have been working out alot lately and I need shoes with a lot of support bc I have flat feet. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• shannonbennett
    Options
    My husband has flat feet and he really likes New Balance sneakers. Hope that helps!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the Reebok RunTones. They also have the EasyTone, depending on what you need them for. They are a bit pricey but I think they are excellent. I can really feel them working my legs just from walking around in them at work.
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wear new balance when I work out...but really any running or cross training shoe would probably work : )
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I just got a new pair of Asics Nimbus in black and I LOVE them. Most comfortable pair I've ever had. They were pricey though...
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    it depends on the workouts you do. You will want shoes designed for your specific workout regimen. I suggest you go to a sports store (not one of the big-box ones where nobody knows what they're doing, but an actual specialty sports-shoe store) to get measured, especially if you plan on running. I prefer Brooks or Saucony's, but the model makes a huge difference.
  • Soccerstar19
    Options
    If you get insoles (I use FleetFeet) then you can get whatever shoes you like. I have nike air shoes that have good support if you don't like insoles.
  • I was looking at zigtechs, does anyone know anything about that?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    it depends on the workouts you do. You will want shoes designed for your specific workout regimen. I suggest you go to a sports store (not one of the big-box ones where nobody knows what they're doing, but an actual specialty sports-shoe store) to get measured, especially if you plan on running. I prefer Brooks or Saucony's, but the model makes a huge difference.

Yes, this. For running shoes, get fitted.

For weight lifting, go with chuck taylors.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    That's what I did. I had them do a gait test and measurements...
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have new balance for running and some Zigs for workout! Love them both!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    this is SO wierd i was JUST about to post a question like this loll
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I second this. Especially if you're running.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I dont have a specialty store.. just your regular foot locker and academy stores. :(
    i bought some Nikes.. and they hurt my feet so bad. I dont think i've ever owned a comfortable pair of shoes.
    i dont do a lot of running, just on the tread every now and then, I mostly do Step and Body Combat.. what shoes are good for that?
  • I walk a lot as well as work out on the elliptical? Any suggestions? I was also looking at shape ups. How are those?
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Footlocker has cross trainers. I found the Nikes hurt my feet. I like them to wear for fun not for exercising. The new balance I got work well on the tredmill outside walking and have used them to do workouts and do ok. The Zigs I like for doing cardio higher impact workouts as they seem to absorb the shock more. I know when I went to the running store the guy told me the type of shoe depends on how your foot pronates. Not sure if that is true for all workout shoes or just running/walking shoes
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    well..
    I have two pairs of workout shoes. (actually only have four pairs of shoes in total, plus flip flops, lol - typical aussie right here)

Nike Free's for running, crosstraining, high impact stuff. They are light weight and provide the protection my joints are looking for in those situations.
    And a pairs of random Jacks soes. They are flat! I use these for lifting. You need to be planted flat on the ground for lifting etc so yeah. The gym wont let me lift bare foot, lol...!
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    If you're doing a lot of plyo and lateral movements, I would suggest that you look into a good pair of cross-trainers. I was using running shoes and realized I didn't have enough stability when moving side to side, jumping, etc. There are a few out there but they were harder to find than I thought they'd be...
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I have flat feet, also. And I just purchased some Avia cross trainers, after spending my first month in a pair of 3-year-old shoes. I went to Kohl’s and tried on about 15 pair of shoes (walking around, squatting, and bouncing in each one). My best fits were the Avia and New Balance. Nice and stable with no pinching.