Soccer Players - Hints & Tips

Options
As an outdoor soccer player myself who is going through preseason as I type, has any other MFP members got any hints & tips on how to get the best from your game. I'm 32 years of old but not afraid to push myself that little extra,kKeen to draw on any new ideas.

Currently we are doing pre-season training twice a week (one night of indoor the other night running, swimming or recently Spin Class). Our first pre-season friendly is this afternoon.

I also compliment this training with Boxing which I do two to three times a week.

Looking forward to hearing from other lovers of the round ball game! :)

Replies

• Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i play soccer.. not that im very good.. im glad you posted this, i wanna know too!
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    As a fellow aging soccer player, I have been steadily increasing my weightlifting routine for my legs. I have noticed improved explosiveness and acceleration. Always been decent with cardio due to playing and workout regimen, but the explosiveness has been incredible...both beating players to 50/50 balls and accelerating past defenders either with the ball or to make those backside runs that lead to tap-in goals. Good luck!
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Thats reassuring mate as I've been doing a lot of explosive power work for boxing (a lot of power in t he punches come from the legs) so heaps of lunges, squats, tyre flipping, step-ups etc but havent had the chance to test out that explosive power in a competitive match as most of our training has been indoor.

However, we had a inter-squad trial match before xmas and I managed to bag two goals from pace, so hopefully things have improved since then. I've also noticed I'm getting a lot more height in my jumps and holding the header in the air longer.

In terms of the weights your doing for your legs, anything in particular (eg leg presses, calf raises)?
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    It's actually a lot of the same work you are describing - heavier on the squats and presses than the rest along with lots of jump exercises. I've also added more single-leg training a few months back and think it's really helped increase progress as well as improve hip flexibility. I am finding myself able to do more with the ball in tight places (especially good for indoor) and with much less soreness the day or two following a match...it's always amazing to me how working in the gym can help substantially but there always seem to be a few of those muscles that soccer finds a way to make sore.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    It's actually a lot of the same work you are describing - heavier on the squats and presses than the rest along with lots of jump exercises. I've also added more single-leg training a few months back and think it's really helped increase progress as well as improve hip flexibility. I am finding myself able to do more with the ball in tight places (especially good for indoor) and with much less soreness the day or two following a match...it's always amazing to me how working in the gym can help substantially but there always seem to be a few of those muscles that soccer finds a way to make sore.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Ha, very true. Theres no better training for soccer than a game itself!