length of walk versus difficulty of walk

calferg
calferg Posts: 1
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
hi folks, i live at the bottom of some steep hills. i have heard two different takes on walking. one theory said, just walk for as long as you can. the other theory said, walk as challenging as you can. any thoughts on effectiveness? sometimes i can climb the hills and sometimes after a long day, i just want to walk flat land.

Replies

• Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Hi. I walk mainly on a treadmill and walk in "fat burn" mode a couple times a week .. which is less difficult .. and I walk at "cardio" mode the other nights. I can tell you this: I burn TONS more calories at the cardio pace than I do at the fat burn mode. That's bc I walk faster and bc I walk at a higher incline-thus the added difficulty. I walk at different rates bc of the "muscle confusion" that is promoted by many. If your body knows what's coming each time, then it adapts and your work out is less effective. If you keep your body guessing, it can't adapt as easily.

I am not a professional [though my brother is director at a school that trains personal trainers, he himself is a personal trainer, and he has his master's degree in this field]. I would say do some of both. On the days you want just a plain walk do that. On days you are up for more of a challenge, do the hills. Not only will it get your heart pumping, it will work the muscles in your legs and make you look fabuous!

Good luck!

:smile:
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    well i know incline training is very effective...you are just working harder to get up a hill and all that...
    but i do walk at home dvd's that vary the activity you do and I know I most likely get more of a burn that way then on a tread mill at the speed I think I can go.

I'd say as long as you are moving you are good. if you are to tired to walk up the hill go longer on the flat surface instead.
This discussion has been closed.