Brownies with butterscotch drizzle

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I am making this recipe right now, its from Health Magazine.

brownies-butterscotch-2011069-l.jpg

http://recipes.health.com/recipes/10000002011069-brownies-with-butterscotch-drizzle

Using some bittersweet chocolate in addition to unsweetened chocolate helped us cut the sugar almost in half.

Makes 16 brownies:

* CALORIES 179
* FAT 9g (sat 6g, mono 2g, poly 0.0g)
* PROTEIN 2g
* CARBOHYDRATE 24g
* FIBER 2g
* CHOLESTEROL 35mg
* IRON 1mg
* SODIUM 60mg
* CALCIUM 25mg

Ingredients

* Nonstick cooking spray
* 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
* 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
* 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup light brown sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks or chips
* 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
* 2 teaspoons 1% low-fat milk

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly coat an 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2. Melt butter with chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove pan from heat, and stir in sour cream, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until well-combined. Stir in flour, salt, and chocolate chips.

3. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in middle of oven until a toothpick comes out clean (about 35 minutes).

4. Cool brownies in a pan; cut into 16 squares. Melt butterscotch chips in a small pan over low heat, stirring (about 4 minutes). Add milk, and whisk until smooth. Pour butterscotch into a ziptop plastic bag; snip end off one of the bottom corners. Stack brownies (2-4 in each stack); drizzle each stack with butterscotch.

I changed things up a bit...I had read about using apple sauce instead of butter in recipes. Well, I had apple butter on hand (oh it's yummy!) so I was feeling adventurous so I used that. And instead of regular sugar, I used Splenda. And I decided to forgo the butterscotch drizzle, so that cut the calorie count down a bit more. With the way I made the recipe, the nutrition came out to: 114 cals, 4g fat, 19 carbs, 2g protein, 18 mg sodium, 13g sugar.

Replies

• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Brownies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing looks YUMMMY! :flowerforyou:
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options

http://recipes.health.com/recipes/10000002011069-brownies-with-butterscotch-drizzle

Using some bittersweet chocolate in addition to unsweetened chocolate helped us cut the sugar almost in half.

Makes 16 brownies:

They look *so* good. You caught me in a weak moment--that picture is so unfair! Sure, they might be not-too-high-in-calories, but I can't have one RIGHT NOW!
  • toots99
    Options

Makes 16 brownies:

They look *so* good. You caught me in a weak moment--that picture is so unfair! Sure, they might be not-too-high-in-calories, but I can't have one RIGHT NOW!

You can come over, they'll be cooled by the time you get here!
  • toots99
    Options
    These actually turned out pretty good. A bit small, but still pretty good! They'd do in a pinch if you needed a chocolate fix.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • toots99
    Options
    Shamelessly bumping my own topic. :wink:
  • toots99
    Options
    :explode:
  • eddiebrownIII
    Options
    bump
  • eddiebrownIII
    Options
    bump
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    yummy
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toots99
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: I made these again tonight and well, I screwed up! I, for some reason, read the recipe wrong and thought it called for 8 oz of fat free sour cream! :noway: I didn't realize my mistake until the pan was in the oven! :ohwell: Luckily they weren't TOO bad...:laugh:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Makes 16 brownies:

* CALORIES 179
    * PROTEIN 2g
    * CARBOHYDRATE 24g
    * FIBER 2g
    * CHOLESTEROL 35mg
    * IRON 1mg
    * SODIUM 60mg
    * CALCIUM 25mg

Ingredients

* Nonstick cooking spray
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation

2. Melt butter with chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove pan from heat, and stir in sour cream, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until well-combined. Stir in flour, salt, and chocolate chips.

3. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in middle of oven until a toothpick comes out clean (about 35 minutes).

4. Cool brownies in a pan; cut into 16 squares. Melt butterscotch chips in a small pan over low heat, stirring (about 4 minutes). Add milk, and whisk until smooth. Pour butterscotch into a ziptop plastic bag; snip end off one of the bottom corners. Stack brownies (2-4 in each stack); drizzle each stack with butterscotch.

I changed things up a bit...I had read about using apple sauce instead of butter in recipes. Well, I had apple butter on hand (oh it's yummy!) so I was feeling adventurous so I used that. And instead of regular sugar, I used Splenda. And I decided to forgo the butterscotch drizzle, so that cut the calorie count down a bit more. With the way I made the recipe, the nutrition came out to: 114 cals, 4g fat, 19 carbs, 2g protein, 18 mg sodium, 13g sugar.

you could also substitute the eggs for flax meal and water (I forget the exact measurement but can google replace eggs with flaxmeal to get info). This will get rid of the cholesterol and add omega 3s and fiber.
    I would also use a strained yogurt (let the whey drip out for a few hours or day to make creamier) or double protein greek yogurt instead of sour creme. This will increase the protein content and have the same effect.

Actually, I think I might give this a try this weekend it sounds so good and since I skipped my free day last week I think I'm due for one :)

Who knew brownies could be healthy!
  • toots99
    Options

Makes 16 brownies:

* CALORIES 179
    * PROTEIN 2g
    * CARBOHYDRATE 24g
    * FIBER 2g
    * CHOLESTEROL 35mg
    * IRON 1mg
    * SODIUM 60mg
    * CALCIUM 25mg

Ingredients

* Nonstick cooking spray
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation

you could also substitute the eggs for flax meal and water (I forget the exact measurement but can google replace eggs with flaxmeal to get info). This will get rid of the cholesterol and add omega 3s and fiber.
    I would also use a strained yogurt (let the whey drip out for a few hours or day to make creamier) or double protein greek yogurt instead of sour creme. This will increase the protein content and have the same effect.

Actually, I think I might give this a try this weekend it sounds so good and since I skipped my free day last week I think I'm due for one :)

Who knew brownies could be healthy!

Good idea to use yogurt instead!
  • toots99
    Options
    bump