Water weight and sore muscles.

Manda1987
Manda1987 Posts: 207
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So it happened again... inevitably, I gain a few pounds the day after I work out. Really, any time I'm sore, I'm up a few pounds. It's incredibly discouraging, and I've abandoned countless exercise routines because of it, because I get a positive reaction from the scale when I do!

I'm in a Biggest Loser competition, and it sucks when I have to report that I've gained or stayed the same when I'm working out! It also sucks when the Wii Fit board yells at me for gaining weight and makes me explain why (water retention is apparently unheard of in the Nintendo headquarters).

Is there a way to get rid of the water retention caused by sore muscles?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Bump
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Once you get used to working out you won't be so sore and then your weight will drop again if not more. No theres no majic cure to get rid of the water weight but drinking lots of water will help too.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Yes, recovering muscles will retain some water. If you are eating on plan, you really have to ignore the fluctuations on the scale when you change your exercise level. It may even stay up there for a bit while your body adapts to the exercise. If it helps, get out the tape measure and measure your waist and prove to yourself you aren't getting bigger, no matter what the scale says.

Don't give up the exercise because of the 2 lb gain. It's just a blip, it will go away.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    It's temporary. Stick with the exercise routine for a couple of weeks and your muscles won't retain that extra little bit of water. Give them a chance to get used to regular exercise, and the water weight will disappear.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    I agree with the other posters.

However, this is why I can't exercise until I lose a good amount of weight. I just mentally can't handle it. I mean, I bike ride and dance around, but a real workout? That comes later LOL!
  • Wait it out? But... but...

I want INSTANT GRATIFICATION! XD

Feeling better about it. I'll just hold off and be happy with the fact that it'll probably work out in the long run.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Actually...there IS a way to help yourself with the water weight. Now, this won't help you every day because you can't do it every day, but it has worked for me.

Massage.

Get a massage. Plain & simple.

Massages help to work things out of your body that shouldn't be there...and that includes retained water. Keep in mind, you have to drink a ton of water after the massage, but it won't stick around. In fact, you'll probably find about 35 minutes in to a 50 minute massage that you need to pee like a race horse. And that's a GOOD thing!

I do boot camp 5 days a week and keep gaining A TON of weight JUST LIKE YOU!

I can gain anywhere from 2-5 lbs a week working out. That's why I love massage. It just helps get all of that out of there.

The other thing you should take into consideration is if you are, in fact, drinking TOO MUCH water. My boot camp instructor just sent an email to us this morning about this very thing. You don't want to be dehydrated but you don't want to overhydrate either. I have been doing that and it's killing my weight loss goals. I was so excited on Monday morning when I weighed 181. And I was completely DEVASTATED this morning, when I weighed 186.3!!!

So just remember, there are those of us out here who know what you are going through and who totally get it.

Go ahead and think about my suggestions. Remember, I'm no pro. Just another "weight gainer" during exercise like you.

And oh, if a massage is too expensive, call the local massage schools and get one from a student doing clinicals. They are about to graduate so they're already prepped for clientele and the cost is usually really really low. Sometimes they're $30 or even cheaper for 50 minutes. I work at a college so mine are $15.
  • Who needs to pay a professional masseuse? That's what boyfriends are for ;) That is a fantastic idea, though.
  • rautaty
    rautaty Posts: 44 Member
    I studied abou it and there is not much u can do. Just take a day off from exercise and step on the scale:)
This discussion has been closed.