Is my calorie goal okay??

Options
When I started MFP, it said my calorie goal should be 2090 per day. I found it difficult to actually meet this number. I noticed that I was typically netting 1500 calories a day even after excercise. So I decided to change my calorie goal to 1500 so that the amounts listed for protein, fat, ect would be more accurate & I could make sure I wasn't eating too much sugar, fat, ect. I started with MFP on 1/1/11. I lost 14 lbs in the first 3 weeks-which was probably all water since I had significantly reduced my sodium intake. Now for the past 2 weeks the scale has not budged. I am definitely not starving myself. I read so many different things on here & I just need to give my specific info to get everyone else's opinoin. Help!! Just want to make sure I do this the right way!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks, your body is probably recovering- even as water weight, that is a lot. Your organs all need to adjust and such, so after periods of rapid loss, people go through a period of stagnation while their bodies adjust accordingly. You may find that that is ultimately too low- try bumping it up 50-100 cals a week and keep an eye on the scale.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    These are questions you should really ask a nutritionist. If you have a lot of weight to loose they can help you do it the right way, making sure you are getting the right nutrients. I know there are hospitals in my area that have free services. You should call
    one near you and just ask it they have nutrition health programs or help. I'm sure your Doctor could guide you in the right direction. When you start eating the right food in the right proportion, you'lll see the weight come off without being hungry.
    And keep up the good work!
  • ThePhatMan
    Options
    Hi, when i started, approx. 5 months ago I weighed 344 lbs. I also made my calorie intake 1500 calories a day. This 1500 calories a day is whether i work out or not. I don't eat my exercise calories. The first 4 or 5 weeks was very hard with hunger and cravings. After that it is still hard but more manageable. If you are comfortable with eating 1500 calories a day and can get your nutirnts in, then try it out. I would advise to exercise to keep up with your muscle mass. If you decide to go up in your calories that would also be ok. No matter what calorie count you are on, eventually you will get cravings, be hungry and even plateau at certain times during your journey. The 1500 calories is working ok for me. Just thought you might want to know from someone who was well over 300. Hope this helps. Good Luck
  • brendabryan
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! This helps for sure!