exercise every day vs every other day

Options
2»

Replies

• danduk66
    Options
    http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/8819.html

Check out this brief article, my P.E. teacher would also tell me this at college.

Every other day gives your body the necessary time to recover, adapt and improve. If your goal is to improve ability/strength/speed/stamina then standard procedure is to go hard on whichever muscles (heart, legs, whatever), then rest/recover those muscles.

Not sure whether every other or everyday serves weight loss better. I know the above would end up increasing your metabolism over time, meaning more weight loss. If it feels good, and your losing weight, and thats your only goal, awesome. If you also want to improve ability/strength etc then every other got to be the way.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise everyday - if I miss a day, I know I'll miss a second after that, and a third...
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm active just about everyday. Walking, lifting, sports...nothing strenuous but I love to sweat! My body does tell me when I need to take a break. It's not hard for me to get back started, but I do find I'm kind of "lost" on rest days.

(As a former couch potato that was so weird for me to read.)
  • stig3824
    stig3824 Posts: 1
    Options
    You may want to read this article by the Department of Human Studies, University of Alabama at Birmingham. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377831
  • kmm0034
    kmm0034 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, the ability to have a sweet if I want it keeps me motivated to exercise daily.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday so I can eat more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    exercise every day vs every other day

Vs. setting some independent fitness goals and letting those goals help determine what you should be doing....
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I typically work out every Tues, Thurs. Fri. Monday is too busy because of work, and I'm an hour away on weekends, so those are when I go. Problem is, I get DOMS, bad. (Delayed onset muscle soreness). So I'm fine for Tuesday, but start to get sore Wed evening and into Thursday. Then I'm still sore on Friday, and not recovered until Monday. I do lower body, core, light cardio on tues, upper body, light cardio on Thursday and heavy cardio on Friday. I just can't do anything wed, sat or sun due to DOMS, or should I be doing something anyway? I thought sore muscles needed to be rested.