Tired of Squats, Lunges, and Deadlifts...Suggestions???

laurabeth02
laurabeth02 Posts: 37
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone! I am a recent myfitnesspal member and I love lifting weights. However, I have been doing the same-ish leg routine for quite some time now and I am looking for new leg workouts. Any suggestions? My typical routine consists of
-squats
-deadlifts
-leg press
-lunges (forward and backward)
-calf raises
-hip aductor

I need to shock my body with something new. I'm going to look into some plyometric excercises, do you have a favorite? Or an idea to switch up my old routine?

Replies

• bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Try combining some moves or try them a different way :

Step Up w/ curl and then move into an overhead press with dumbbells ( stack some steps or use a bench) use one leg to step up and push through the heel. Once up do a bicep curl and transition into an overhead press)

Do a side lunge with a front raise (moving arms together from sides to shoulder height as you lunge)

Jump up onto a stack of steps or platform.

Wall sits or Squats using an exercise ball.

Sumo Squat

Squat-Thrusts

Hitchhikers or Burpies
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    have you tried kettle weights? I did it for the first time today. It combines movement with weights. I purphased the Kathy Smith kettle weight DVD.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Barbell squats with good form on a weight that you can do only 4-6 times. Best leg exercise possible.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Offhand, I can think of these in addition to your list...
    Step-ups (holding dumbbells or with a barbell).
    Stability ball hamstring curls
    Plie squats
    Bulgarian split squat
    Barbell split squat

:)
  • Try them with the weights in different places.

For example, if you normally do a typical barbell squat with the weight across your traps/shoulders, place the weight across the front of your shoulders and do front squats.

pick up a dumbbell by the end with both hands and let it dangle between your legs with a super-wide stance (known as a sumo squat or sumo deadlift).

Try doing lunges to the left and right so you're working your body in all three planes of movement.

You can do drop lunges where you, for example, drop your left foot behind you and to the right in a "curtsy" fashion only you go deep and press back up.

You can do goodmornings

You can do goodmornings with a zercher-style which means the weight of the bar is held in front of you with the bar in the crooks of your elbows and your hands touching your chin (you might want to google this one to get a picture of the right body position).

Finally, try to work your way up to one legged squats or "pistol squats" These are absolute killers. You can do one-legged goodmornings as well. you will be taxing your core doing any of these exercises in a way that you've probably never done so.
  • Awesome, I love this website. Thank you so much everyone!!!!
This discussion has been closed.