training for a marathon

grizzlymaze
grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone, Up here in Wisconsin it is cold and snowy, but there is a marathon on May 2nd that I would like to run in. This will be my first marathon experiance, but I am a seasoned runner, except during winter. I would like to start training for this upcoming event, but don't like to run on treadmills and am afraid of running in the winter because of ice and blistering cold conditions. Anyone else have this issue?

I would like to live in an area where I wouldn't have to deal with this but that won't happen. I just don't want to have to wait till March or April to beable to start running outside and not give myself enough time to be ready. This marathon is not about winning but about finishing. My goal time is under 5 hours.

Replies

• jpartlow
    jpartlow Posts: 1 Member
    Have you considered snowshoe running? A lot of people do that here (maine/northern new hampshire) in the off season. It gets you off the road and it's quite the workout so you do get pretty warm while doing it. Keep in mind though that you probably only go about half the distance of a summer workout in the same amount of time.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    I live in New Hampshire which is also cold and snowy and I have run 5 marathons in the past 3 years and 2 of them have been May marathons. I use an 18 week Hal Higdon training schedule that starts off at 25 miles a week in which you run Monday off, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 5, Thursday 3, Friday Off, Saturday 5, Sunday 10. That is the basic pattern and the milage progresses each week topping out at 3 - 50 mile weeks that have 20 mile Sunday long runs. The point is that the first month and a half there are quite a few shorter runs of 5 miles or less that I can run on the treadmill. So I do my winter running as a combination of running in the gym for the shorter runs and outside on the longer runs. I try to be flexible and switch days around based on weather forecast as needed. Sometimes you have no choice and have to run a long run when its cold and windy so be sure to have the proper cold weather running gear. I have a good pair of CWX Insulator Performance tights that are awesome for cold weather and I also have some Under Armor tops. Dress in layers, thats the key. You also need to be sure to drink as much fluid as you would during the summer months. I find running in the Winter to be great once your used to it.
    http://cw-x.com/ExploreProducts.aspx?product=tights&by=activity&gender=mens
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    jpartlow---I have been thinking about maybe trying cross ****ry sking. My folks have a set that they bought new but havn't used much and they are getting to old in the joints to use them so I was thinking maybe asking if I could use them rather than collect dust.

bigdawg---Thats a good routine. Maybe it's all in my head as how cold it is, and I have some under armor gear that I enjoy wearing. maybe some snow cleats will help on ice.

thanks.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    You can also make yourself some screw shoes:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

This works great!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    I walk/jog almost every day in all the kinds of winter weather Illinois can dish out. If the snow is deep then I'm mostly walking but it's added effort. If it's icy then I put my Yaktrax on my shoes and go for it. I bundle up, and am usually too warm before I get home. However, I do see runners out from time to time in lots less clothes than I am wearing.

I usually make my way to a parking garage that is not busy before 7am and "run" it. Good incline work, the only drawback is that running in my winter boots is not good for my knees!
This discussion has been closed.