Super bowl!!

Options
super bowl is upon us!!!! Anybody come up with any healthier junk food ides?? I plan on munching on some homemade hummus and pita chips... Fresh veggies.. I'm making a mini Mexican fiesta for the family... Milanesa meat marinating for tacos.. On corn tortillas... Gonna make up a pot of pinto beans.. Some I'll mash thick to stuff in wraps... Others I'll blend with some of their juices to put over tostitos, along with some deer meat season with my own taco seasoning.. Sliced fresh jalapeños and fresh shredded cheese... Then pop it in the oven until it's all gooey and bubbly! Homemade salsa maybe? Guac? I'm not sure what else I will do... I'm having a hard time not going all out like I usually do!!!

But I'm already planning on eating stuff I normally wouldn't.. So I'm just gonna be extra good during the day... Afterall, the Packets are playing!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!

Replies

• KokomoJoe
    Options
    I am making a clean version of devilled eggs, I also made a raw chocolate mousse.
    http://www.rawmazing.com/recipes/raw-chocolate-mousse/
    That recipe is amazing but do not eat the whole thing by yourself. I work it out to be very high calorie. It is my treat for the week.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Just another excuse to throw caution to the wind. I never got it. Healthy Junk food does not exsit. Just make healthy choices. Over eating is over eating whether it is healthy or not. Just my own personal thoughts on a Football game parties
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Sounds delicious....I love making homemade hummus. Bought some Special K cracker chips Sea Salt flavor to try w/my hummus. I usually go for the pita chips. Someone did rave reviews on the SK Cracker Chips so I thought I would try them@110 calories for 30.....I also picked up sour cream and onion. My other favorite Snack is making a dip with Laughing cow cheese wedges. I just Sprinkle of some flavoring and stir to make a quick dip.....That might be pricey if you make a batch for a large crowd.
  • Teran0612
    Options
    Just another excuse to throw caution to the wind. I never got it. Healthy Junk food does not exsit. Just make healthy choices. Over eating is over eating whether it is healthy or not. Just my own personal thoughts on a Football game parties

I'm sorry.. I missed where I said anything about over eating?? And I believe I stated the munchies/junk food that were "healthier choices"..

It's a day of fun and excitement for most.. And usually includes eating all the wrong things for many... Hence this post, to give others inspiration and ideas to not go too far over board... So feel free to keep your negative connotations to yourself and notary and rain on everyone elses parade!!
  • Teran0612
    Options
    That sounds good!! I made some lemon pepper "pita chips" out of some tandoori bread I had... Yum!!! Not having the big party this year... Just my family of 7 :-)
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo, Go Pack! I'm a huge Packer fan and I would do like you said and not sweat it too much since the Packers are playing after all. lol. I thought of something that might be good seeing as you have kids. You could make fruit skewers using yellow and green fruit (pineapple, kiwi, honeydew, grapes...) you could even add colored marshmallows--for the kiddos of course :)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Original poster -your menu sounds amazing and very clean! Just watch your portion size and you should be fine with what you are eating. I will probably make chili. I have been making a white chili for years that is just chicken, great northern beans, cumin, salsa and monterey jack cheese. I can use the minimal amount of cheese and a fresh salsa to keep it pretty clean. Also I buy the Garden of Eatin or Food should Taste Good chips to go with it - I have to watch how many of those I eat!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Um, let's see. Last year, we had
    Shrimp Cocktail (mine minus the high sodium sauces - I do like a light dressing with them though.)
    Turkey & Bean Chilli (from scratch - less sodium) - mine with ff cheese & greek yogurt instead of sour cream
    Crab Dip (homemade again)
    Veggie Tray (mine minus the ranch)

This year will probably be something similar as Hubs went to the grocers yesterday - I know he brought back chips & dip (that's for him - I won't have any - chips I can do without, mostly, but if it's sweet, look out!) I know he bought shrimp & crab legs...yum!

Hope your day is filled with fun, fun, fun!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options

healthy junk food is definitely an oxymoron but I think what she meant was a healthy version of typical snack/party food. Looking at her menu it looks like she has some good choices as long as she watches portions
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just my family this year but I plan on making hungry girl's pulled chicken and pototao skins! Maybe some of her jalapeno poppers
  • KokomoJoe
    Options

I don't believe anyone here so throw caution to the wind. I love certain foods and still eat them. Instead of deep fried chicken wings have chili, instead of some pretend dip full of things you can't pronounce use hummus, I offered a treat which is all raw, made from 6 ingredients (sorry Michael Pollin I believe you like only 5) and complete with a warning to not make this and eat it all yourself. The fat in here is good fat from avocados and nuts.

If your trying to eat 2,000 calories and go for 4,000 during the day, it's a problem. Even if you stay at 2,000 and eat edible foodlike substances it can be a problem because you won't get your nutrition.

Let us enjoy the day.
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    super bowl is upon us!!!! Anybody come up with any healthier junk food ides?? I plan on munching on some homemade hummus and pita chips... Fresh veggies.. I'm making a mini Mexican fiesta for the family... Milanesa meat marinating for tacos.. On corn tortillas... Gonna make up a pot of pinto beans.. Some I'll mash thick to stuff in wraps... Others I'll blend with some of their juices to put over tostitos, along with some deer meat season with my own taco seasoning.. Sliced fresh jalapeños and fresh shredded cheese... Then pop it in the oven until it's all gooey and bubbly! Homemade salsa maybe? Guac? I'm not sure what else I will do... I'm having a hard time not going all out like I usually do!!!

But I'm already planning on eating stuff I normally wouldn't.. So I'm just gonna be extra good during the day... Afterall, the Packets are playing!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!

I'm salivating...hey since I see that you are a deer meat eater I'd like to pass this new tip on to you. This year at deer camp a visitor/guest was doing the commune cooking and made the best deer I'd ever eaten. Of course he fried his but I think it would grill just as well...he marinated the deer meat in
    pace Picante sauce! I know, right, but it totally takes out any wild taste! He did warn us however, more than once,( I think it was the beer, just not remembering) not to leave in the marinade more than two hours!!! I think you'd be surprised...I was!
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    We are going to a friend's house for the party and the menu is set and it's Italian...my favorite,but would like to have some low cal, healthy ideas, cause believe me no one over there will be leaving the cheese out of anything or substituting yogurt for sour cream.

I love the hummus dips and will fix a veggie plate for that, the fruit kabobs are an excellent idea too, but I need some Italian FOOD
    Suggestions! Anybody!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I was looking up recipes last night and I came across "edamole.". It's basically guacamole, but instead of avocados, it's mashed up edamame. I can't imagine it would be as good as guacamole, but maybe if you did like half avocado and half edamame, it could be a bit healthier. I know avocados are good, but not if you eat to much of it. I personally love edamame, so I think it would be good. If you've never had it, you should try it. Very tasty.
    I saw u were making guacamole, so I thought I'd pass on this tip!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i am definatly not going to even attempt to eat healthy tomorrow night.
    super bowl is like a holiday lol
    our menu is hot wings, fried pickles, pigs in a blanket & chips n dip and BEER BEER BEER.

of course i am going to exercise that morning & eat very clean up until game time. :)

i hope everyone makes awesome choices and has a GREAT superbowwwwwwllllll!

Go Packers =D
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I'm sorry.. I missed where I said anything about over eating?? And I believe I stated the munchies/junk food that were "healthier choices"..

It's a day of fun and excitement for most.. And usually includes eating all the wrong things for many... Hence this post, to give others inspiration and ideas to not go too far over board... So feel free to keep your negative connotations to yourself and notary and rain on everyone elses parade!!

You go girl !
  • chbubblz
    Options
    People always think that they have to eat just clean healthy foods. To me it is harder if you deprive yourselves of the things you love especially when it Super bowl time. What I try to do is log every single thing that goes in my mouth. Have a small healthy breakfast, then eat what you want in moderation at the party. By the end of the day all ya have to do is work out. Take it from me I have lost over 40 lbs not depriving me of the things I love. On days like a football party ya pretty much plan on working out. Oh by the way....Go steelers!!! ha! Good look to the packs too. It should be an awesome game.
  • chbubblz
    Options

You go girl !

Exactly what I was thinking. If ya don't watch football, why are you even reading a post with the Topic of Super Bowl. Some people are just ignorant.
  • Kaylasmom
    Kaylasmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Go Pack, Go Pack, Go Pack!!!! I am so fired up for this game....I'm making fruit pizza with kiwi and bananas for the proper color scheme and also plan to have hormel chili with lo fat cheddar dip with baked tortillas chips. I will do better the next day, But this is The Super Bowl!!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Terrible Towel Time :smile: altho, I'd perfer the Cowboys @ Cowboy stadium...

SuperBowl is going have to be a SuperFree day for me....I'll just put extra jalapeno on everything...that usually keeps me in check:devil: