Sore Ankles!!!

Options
I am on my second week of Insanity and my ankles are so sore. They hurt to touch and I have lost a lot of flexibility in them. Anyone else having any toubles like this, and what do you reccomend. I can feel the difference in my strength already and really don't want to have to take a break since I am finally motivated to do this program (Ihave had it since the end of summer). Please any advice welcome.

Replies

• StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bumping.....
    the back of my ankle/heel is so sore...... I was told to stretch it more..... which I have been doing.... but still so sore!!!! any advice would be wonderful!! =)
  • leastwood
    Options
    I have seen several people talking about "Insanity". What is it?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have tendonitis in my ankles and yeah, any jumping or running causes flare ups. Yesterday I had 550 double under skips to do in my WOD and I could barely walk.
    I bought those freezable/microwaveable packs at the drugstore - I iced my ankles each for about 15-20 minutes, and took some Naproxen (or Aleve) and I'm feeling much better today.
    I suggest you do this after every workout especially if you don't want to take a break from your training program. My physical therapist said it's that or 10 days off.
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    Hi... I did the whole insanity program... Omg my everything was sore girl lol..... I know that it gets easier tho... i would jus try and soak atleast that's what I did ... i'm actually gonna start Insanity back up on Mon.. Best of luck to ya:)
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Well you have a right to be concerned. If they hurt to the touch you should really get checked out by a good physical therapist. Although they may tell you to ice and lay off which is not what you want to hear. Continuing with pain like that in the lower half of your body can cause your medial glutes (lateral side of the glute muscles) to start shutting down which is BAD and will cause you problems that may make you discontinue exercise even longer. I danced with horrible tendonitis and various foot pain for my whole career and am having to go in for regular glute activation therapy all the time. I hope you don't delay!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Being sore is somewhat normal but can lead to injury if you don't attend to it. Get yourself a heating pad and "warm" your joints up for about 15 minutes before you start the DVD. Just lay the heatin pad over/under the joint and let the blood flow start before you start. This will help your pre stretch really get the joint ready to move in the more stresssful way. Then ICE after you finish. At least 15 minutes with nothing more than a thin towel between your skin and the bag (nothing is better if your skin can handle it.) If you are particularlly sore, raise your ankle while icing. You may want to look at your shoes. Ankles are heavily impacted by incorrect, over worn footwear. If you start to get pain in your heel or the back of the ankle, see a doc. If they start swelling see a doc. If this continues and you have taken the proper steps, see a doc. maybe as easy as a brace or shoe insert but better safe than sorry. I have no medical degree but I have worked as an athletic trainer and have used these methods myself over a very long athletic career so I know they will make you feel better. :) Hope this helps.
  • kimkimchi
    Options
    I agree you shouldn't be in this much pain!

I have bad knees so I'm wearing knee braces while I do Insanity and it has helped a ton. My ankles are also sore from doing Insanity, so I think the jumping, jumping, jumping is the culprit! Have you considered ankle braces? I might invest in some.