Ice fishing

akalei
akalei Posts: 34
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So does ice fishing really burn that many calories?
Like Im going tomorrow for the 1st time. (First time for ice fishing not first time for fishing)
And I played around and entered in 3 hours cause thats how long we're going for roughly. I just wanted to see how much it would say for when I really enter it in tomorrow.. It gave a result of over 700 and over 500 for 2 hours.

Im kinda new to this or maybe I am dumb I don't know. But can someone explain to me how me sitting on a cooler inside an ice hut with a fishing line burns so many calories?

Replies

• Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Ice fishing in Manitoba is sitting in a chair, drinking a beer or other alcoholic beverage, unless you are drilling through the ice with a manual auger I really wouldn't count it as exercise at all.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    It can be cold. Shivering cases you to heat up. Heating up is calories burning. Not to mention walking through snow to the fishing spot, muscles working to keep you balance on the ice and carrying/pulling gear. And if you are gonna be run & gun fishing you are moving every 10 minutes or so.

I am always way more tired after ice fishing than regular fishing.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I do not wear a HRM... but it does burn a lot calories. A couple of weeks ago I went with a bunch of friends in Maine. I ate like crap and drank like a fish... I still lost 6lbs!

Just your body keeping itself warm burns calories.... we also walked to our spots pulling the sleds full of gear. Have fun! I love ice fishing!
  • akalei
    akalei Posts: 34
    Yah see my husband and his uncle are the ones that are going to be pulling the sled full of gear and the ones going to be using the auger. Maybe I just wont enter it in then.

I hope I have fun. My husband has been going every weekend for the past few weeks and he is excited that we finally got a babysitter for a few hours tomorrow morning so that I can come.
This discussion has been closed.