Discouraged...

Options
So I've been eating better and exercising now for a month. I've lost 13lbs, but I see no results. No loss in inches (at all) pants aren't any looser,etc. I'm miserable and I just want to throw in the towel because if I'm not going to see ANYTHING!!! then what's the point? ugh.

Replies

• cindaroses
    Options
    That happens sometimes...but you HAVE lost, and that counts for something. Sometimes it is just 5 more pounds and then you can really see the difference in your clothes.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It is hard at times, but just keep pushing and it will happen.
  • nkoval
    Options
    Don't get discouuraged ... believe me I know it sucks when you don't see the results you want but keep pushing on towards your goal. When your finally at your goal YOU WILL SEE the results !!! :)
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    But you lost 13 pounds! That's something....and in one month?? That's amazing! Sometimes we don't see the progress we want right away. Some people lose a small amount of pounds but lots of inches and sometimes there a drop in pounds but the inches don't change. Don't give up! Trust me, I was stuck at a plateau of losing and gaining the same 5-10 pounds for almost 6 months but I think I'm finally moving through that but if I had just given up I know I would have gained back 20+ pounds. This needs to be a lifestyle change not a quick fix.
  • hulkpirate
    hulkpirate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    first off, congrats on the 13 lbs that is a good accomplishment. second, cindaroses is right this does happen sometimes but you have to pull through. keep doing what you are doing and in no time you will look back on this moment and wonder why you questioned yourself in the first place.

i have faith in you, i know you can do it you already have shown that you can.
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I've dropped 20 and no inches are lost. It just takes time for your body to readjust to the change.
  • Babybran
    Options
    I'm with ya! It's difficult, we just have to push thru it! I'm in a blah mode and need to find a goal pusher too!
  • grlaurie
    grlaurie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just put one day in front of the other. As the days of proper eating and exercise add up you will feel the differences and then see the difference. Don't quit you and everyone can do this. It does not happen overnight you need to work it!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Why would you give up? It takes time and patience! That's why ppl don't see results is bc they give up too easily. I've lost 75lbs and have kept it off for over 2 years. I am still seeing results slowly, but they are still there. Like I am slowly gaining definition in my arms and back. Yea, it takes time, years. Don't give up! It's worth the fight!!!!!!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    You poor thing!
    It is so hard not to be discouraged when you're not visually seeing the results of your hard work! Please don't stop doing everything you can to be fit and lose weight though, because, after all if you just quit or slack off when you feel the lowest, you're just going to regret all of your lost progress when you regress into your bad habits aren't you? So you'll get the double whammy. We are tested emotionally when we reach our lows and how we face them tells us what kind of person we are. If you have some decent introspective conversations with yourself, I think you'll find that moving on and staying on the straight and narrow and tweaking things to figure out what works best is going to make you happier than just giving up.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't notice the difference in my clothing until I was down almost 25 (I lost 9lbs before MFP)... I attributed it to the fact that I'm curvy. I have large thighs and hips, so where my 20 jeans were lose on my waist, they still fit my legs/hips.

Don't get discouraged!! Keep at it... :flowerforyou:
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Go to your nearest store that sells weights. Hold 13 pounds in your arms and you will feel how much weight you have lost. Sometimes the heavier you are, the more weight it takes to really see a difference. I have lost a fair amount so far, but because I was already well on the "fluffy" side, it is going to take longer for others to see it. I think I had to lose about 25 pounds before I noticed my pants feeling looser. Most people (other than my mother) still don't notice that I've lost weight, or at least they haven't said anything.

Hang in there!!! It will happen!!
  • cindy48
    cindy48 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can certainly inderstand .But then for myself I think what's the alternative "do nothing" then I would get absolutely nowhere and be back where I started and probably more. Hang in there you are off to a great start. It has to happen and it will.
  • racheyanne1
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I tried on dresses last week and let's just say it was all bad. Had a complete meltdown, especially since I've been working out for four weeks already. But then my best friend told me this:

"It didnt take you 4 wks to put on the weight, so it will take more than 4 wks to take off the weight."

Good insight. Don't get discouraged. Just keep doing it and have the end result in mind. this is a long, life changing process, not an easy solution. Best of luck!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Aww, try to cheer up and pat yourself on the back. I've lost the same amount as you, and was close to the same starting weight as you were, and I think since we have so much to lose it seems like 13 is nothing. But it is!! It's a terrific start on a journey to losing what makes us miserable. If you're like me, your pants are so tight that you shove yourself into them everyday just to prove you still can LOL so after 13 lbs lost you might not notice yet that they're zipping up easier. Try to be good to yourself and stay on the path, you've done great in a month so at least give it another month and you'll see a big diff. By the way, you're very pretty!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am your future. I am 50 years old and obese ... 232 lbs.

I threw in the towel, too. Every. Single. Time.
    Why?

Impatience. My inability to trust the process. My refusal to accept that perhaps it would take me longer than some and that I COULD get to my goal but that it just might take me longer than MY timetable.

If I had lost one pound each month for all the years I "dieted", I'd be air right now.

Please, don't become me. Don't be 50 years old and still trying to win this battle.
    Be PATIENT.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Ha that is funny. And I'm not meaning to be laughing at you.... All week long ive been complaining about the fact that overall ive averaged 1450 net cals, and worked out 300 minutes per week for the past five weeks and only lost 4 lbs in the first two weeks of my doing it. I'm definitely slimming down, my waist line hasn't been this "thin" in five plus years, but I'm not seeing it on the scale!!

So you're seeing on the scale but not anywhere else, and I'm seeing it in my body but not on the scale!!! Can't we combine us two??? Lol.
  • Slabach
    Options
    Thirteen pounds is a great!!!!!!! It is a discouraging process though we all know that. Keep your head up and your heart in the game. The results will come. Never as quickly as we would like them to but, it will happen you just have to hang in there. I also know that the last person to see results is offten times you. I remember the first time I got down to my "ideal" weight. I did not see any difference and it did not seem to change the way my clothes fit I was ready to give up and all of a sudden everyone I knew was just raving about how much weight I had lost and how great I looked. I did not see it but everyone else did. I might encourage you to find a "cheerleader." Some one to help pshyc you up and encourage you. But the best cheerleader you can have is you. Find the little things to celebrate: You had a good day, you worked out 5 min longer than you planned, you undershot your calorie intake by 5, you stayed on track. It doesn't matter what it is but find little things to celebrate and rejoice over. While you do need to stay focused on the "big picture" sometimes we are to worried about that to see all the great little things that we were able to do.

Anyway I say all of this to say, don't get discouraged keep your head in the game. It can be a long hard road but you can make it. One day at a time.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am your future. I am 50 years old and obese ... 232 lbs.

I threw in the towel, too. Every. Single. Time.
    Why?

Impatience. My inability to trust the process. My refusal to accept that perhaps it would take me longer than some and that I COULD get to my goal but that it just might take me longer than MY timetable.

If I had lost one pound each month for all the years I "dieted", I'd be air right now.

Please, don't become me. Don't be 50 years old and still trying to win this battle.
    Be PATIENT.

OMG me too...if only I had continued on the countless times I have lost a load but not quite seen the difference I had hoped for.....13lbs is brilliant, be patient & keep it up...you are 13lbs healthier than you were because thise lbs of fat obviously were internal fat that could have been pressing on vital organs. C'mon you can do it.
  • testepp
    Options
    Everyone's body types are different, too ... while 13 lbs is a LOT, you probably lost a tiny bit everywhere - so you don't see any difference yet, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Just give it time. If you quit so soon you won't lose at all; it needs to be a lifestyle change and something you can live with so that you keep the pounds off. You can do it. (: I bet you have places with slightly more definition and you don't even realise it yet!