Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating right and enough is hard! (P90X == harder!)

OK, so I have been apparently running a huge calorie deficit kind of by accident. I started at about 2K cal/day simply because I was sedentary.

Then I started P90X and sort of had the intention of going up to about 2500 Cal/Day. As it turns out, I am really having difficulty getting up to 2K a day let alone 2500 a day. And, reading the nutrition guide, looking at different sources online, it appears I should be at 3000 Cal/day! Even if I am trying to lose fat, 3K!

Steps I have been taking to date:
1) Stocking my office with fresh fruits, and a bit of canned fruit like pineapple (packed in juice or water, no syrup!)
2) Eliminating almost all refined sugar, and all corn syrups. I ate a salad dry at work the other day because all the dressings available included corn syrup. No sugar cravings here. At all. I allow myself a little sugar in the form of a chocolate creamer on the weekends. Fruits are sweet enough for me. Historically I would always buy 100% fruit juice but cut it with 40%-50% water, so I guess I am predisposed to being lucky that way.
3) Buying only natural peanut butter, applesauce, etc.
4) Squashing any trans-fat bugs I find. Also trying to modulate saturated fats and get them mainly from animal/dairy sources.
5) Desperately trying to find ways to add salads/veggies to everything I do.
6) Eating smaller meals and many snacks where possible, and as many times in the day as I can.

Steps I now realize I have to take:
1) Go from 2K Cal/day to about 3K (due to P90X and due to what looks like an underestimation of my needs in general) -- have no idea how I am going to stuff that much down, I literally feel like I am always picking something up to eat as it is. I am really having difficulty getting to 2K without resorting to nasty food, which I will not do. If I can get up to at least 2700 that's infinitely better than what I have been doing.
2) Stock up on protein. For now, at least, I need to blow right by whatever MFP is telling me, for at least a few weeks. Again because of my particular situation.

I know what I have to do but I keep having difficulty with finding the right stuff to eat, and trying to dial in the right amounts. I've been getting more liberal with my snacking (extra spoonfuls of peanut butter, cramming in another fruit, etc.) Even purposely having a drink here and there, but when I add it all up, still no passing the 2K mark.

Peeps, I am not trying to do a calorie reduction on top of MFP calorie reduction, but I'm at a loss to stay at 2K cal/day, let alone 2500 or 3K....any ideas?

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    The MFP protein setting is stupid low. Go into settings and adjust it up to at least 35% if not higher. The first phase of P90X says 50% Protein / 30% Carbs / 20% Fat. Grilled boneless skinless chicken breast will be your best friend.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    David, P90X nutrition plan does not account for a calorie deficit. Eating 3000 is a lot of food when you are eating healthy.
    Stock up on Walnuts, Almonds, Olive Oil, Avacados and Greek Yogurt. That will help. You may want to try for 2500 depending on your maintenance calorie level.
    Let me know if you need some help. I live in the ATL as well. Cool Beans Bro.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    The MFP protein setting is stupid low. Go into settings and adjust it up to at least 35% if not higher. The first phase of P90X says 50% Protein / 30% Carbs / 20% Fat. Grilled boneless skinless chicken breast will be your best friend.

Steven, nice transformation bro. You look great.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Well, I finally started paying a little attention to the P90X nutrition guide, and managed about 2700 calories yesterday. Got up late today so getting a high count will be a little tougher. Depending, I guess, on superbowl food intake.

I think I got a little wakeup call during exercise yesterday, too. On what was day 1 of week 2 I really struggled. I reached muscle failure on the pushups very quickly, and did fewer reps in many cases. Diamond pushups were completely out., as usual. I can still barely do anything besides on-knee pushups, and saw my numbers retreat in some cases from WK1Day1. The only counter I have is that I started trying to use the "Perfect Pushups" equipment, which some report as giving them fewer rep numbers, but providing in their opinion a more beneficial and thorough workout, pushup for pushup.

On the other hand, my overall endurance seems to be improving noticeably, as weak as it still is. Gonna see how plyo goes today to see if I can really see progress.

Anyway I set myself up here at 2800 cal/day and with the phase 1 fat burner profile as suggested. I figure I will make it my goal to get over 2800, bringing me quite close to 3000 as specified in the book for my level. Already with the 2700 cal yesterday I think I can get back on track (coincidentally after hovering at 234-235 for like a week, I was pleasantly surprised to 233 a day after significantly bumping up my food intake).
    :
    Regarding the "maintenance level" as mentioned P90X states 3000/day -- should I risk 2500 a day or should I just be trying to go for 3000? I last computed my BMI at 28% or some such so I don't know exactly what to do since I am not exactly what the P90X plan targets. Do I undercut to lose fat? Or do I just play in the prescribed fat-shredder range and target 3000?

Thanks for the help, between your advice and the book I have changed my philosophy from one of going after weight loss, to one of eat right, transform fat to muscle, watch but don't worry about the scale.

Any other food suggestions besides the chicken breast? (By the way: I made myself an absolutely killer grilled chicken last night, I was amazed as I have never done chicken on the grill before, and generally am not a grilling expert by any means.)