Favorite Cardio .. ??

meghan171
meghan171 Posts: 80
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wondering what kind of Cardio everyone does at the gym? I absolutely HATE running, so I usually avoid the treadmill. Lately I've been doing 1 hour on the Elliptical (on the Weight Loss program). However, that usually only burns about 500-550 calories. I'm looking to burn a lot more calories in an hour -- without having to run on a treadmill. What sort of cardio do you do to burn serious calories???

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I can't think of a piece of gym equipment that would burn much more than about 500 an hour but I've heard rowing is quite good and that's probably my favourite.
  • I wasn't sure if 500 is average? My boyfriend runs for an hour and burns 1,000 calories! I've been seeing other peoples updates and they also burn 800-1000 calories in an hour. I'm not sure what machines they're doing, but I need to do it too! Haha. I just hate feeling like my hour workout wasn't good enough.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    swimming-- no question.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    i like swimming for an hr, think it burns around 600-700 cals for general breaststroke... is therea pool at your gym?

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • There's not a pool .. I wish there was. But I could look into the Y or our local high school to see if maybe I can use theirs. Thanks for the ideas!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    The less you weigh and the more in shape you are, the less calories you are going to burn. 500 is pretty darn good for you I think! I know my husband can slack off and still burn almost twice the calories I do going full force.
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    GroupX classes
  • I love spinning, such great cardio! In a 30 min spin class you can burn up to 470, in a 45 min class you can burn up to 750.
  • Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I know I shouldn't compare myself to my 200lb boyfriend. But I always do!
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    From my experience the elliptical and the stairmill will help you burn the most calories per hour but it's not so much the machine as the intensity and inclines that you use combined with you much you currently weigh (since it takes more to move more weight) . I stay between a 12-16 incline and a level 6-8 on the elliptical and burn approx 350 in 30 mins so If I went an hour it would be well over 500 and that's not even having it at the hardest level it could be. So maybe try increasing incline/level or both to see what results you can get?
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    after my back surgeries they had me swimming. i live in a SMALL town, so no pool. but i did go to the local motel that had a pool. they let me swim for as long as i wanted for at a cost of $2. i just had to bring my own towel. maybe this is an option for you
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Don't compare yourself to your boyfriend you will never burn as much as he does! As someone stated earlier the less you weigh etc the less you burn off-this is why someone that is overweight can burn 2-3x more calories doing the same activity as someone that is thinner.

Some of my favorite cardio are:

Zumba--classes at the Y-it doesn't feel like exercise and its so much fun :)
    Running-I hate the treadmill so I use the track at the Y
    Eliptical-Love this thing!

Just find something you enjoy and do it--the less it feels like work and more something you enjoy you will want to work out :)
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    when i visit the gym i usually use the cycling machine for about 20 mins which can loose about 180 calories. i then use the ski-ing machine for 20 mins, and i use the machine which helps you do sit-ups. and a few of the others they have got there. i normally do 30 mins of walking uphill at a good pace on the treadmill aswell. But because i havent been able to visit the gym recently, i have brought myself a excercise bike from argos, which i go on every other day for 20mins! soo its alll good :)
  • Spin class is my favorite :)
  • I did an hour on the Elliptical today (Weight Loss Program) and burned about 570 calories! I was pretty please with the results! Plus, there was a Sex & the City marathon on, so I didn't even notice how hard I was working because I was focused on the show! :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Yeah, no kidding! You don't weigh enough to burn more than that in an hour. I think 500 seems fantastic for an hour!
This discussion has been closed.