Not Enough Calories? What should I add?

Options
Every day, I wind up with way too few calories. I eat healthy, lots of vegetables and fruit, but I'm at about 700 calories a day. What can I eat that's healthy that will get my calories up to 1,200?

--
I am ALWAYS, ALWAYS low on protien. :O I would make my food diary public, but I've no idea how. XD I'm gonna try to figure it out now

--EDIT
It's public now. :3

Replies

• Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    hi, you could try 2 boiled egg with turkey rashers mashed in a cup ? i have that for breakfast some mornings and find it filling,and bumps my cals up

best wishes
    Kirstie xx
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Any type of raw nuts would be a great addition.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I could probably give a better idea of what to add if your diary was public but here are some ideas:
    - Peanut butter
    - Granola
    - Nuts
    - Baked chips
    - Low fat ice cream if you want to treat yourself
    - Maybe some dairy if you don't already have that daily

Think of things that are higher in protein, fiber, etc but are good for you.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    peanut butter?
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Try adding some beans, lentils,whole grains, and low fat dairy like greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Also, you can add some healthy fats by using a bit of oil when you cook your veggies, or add some nuts to grain dishes (something like quinoa pilaf with pine nuts :D) Those will bulk up your diet without increasing your fat intake too much.
  • Jonasutti
    Options
    It is hard to say. Are you missing any nutrients? By your food description it sound that you might need more protein in your diet and I would recommend adding cottage cheese, quorn/lean chicken, beans/lentils. It could also be healthy to add some good fats, for example sprinkle olive oil over your salad.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Have an egg in the morning. Snack on nuts, feta cheese on crackers or peanut butter.

Use butter instead of low fat spread. Not only will that help your calorie total but butter is better for you than those horrible processed fats. Same thing with basically the light version of everything, chose the normal version not the diet. Just stick to portions sizes and you'll be fine.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    You could double up on your favorite veggies :)
  • Emmeez
    Emmeez Posts: 10
    Options
    Just made my food diary public, and thanks for all the replies! So speedy! :) I think it also help to know, that I run on the treadmill for 120 minutes a day at 5 miles per hour.
  • RPerry44
    Options
    I have been eating 6 meals a day and trying to spread them out evenly. I also have had some trouble making my calorie limit. What I have been doing is for my three snacks, mid morning, mid afternoon, then before bed, I have been eating the Special K protein meal bars. I like the chocolate peanut butter and the chocolate chip. They are about 170 - 180 calories and are extremely good. They also have 10 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. Very good stuff! Almost feels like I am cheating. But the weight is coming off easily so I must be doing something right. I also add a piece of fruit in there sometimes. Hope this helps! Good luck!

3680695.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Just made my food diary public, and thanks for all the replies! So speedy! :) I think it also help to know, that I run on the treadmill for 120 minutes a day at 5 miles per hour.

If it's just the exercise that's putting you under I wouldn't worry about hitting your goal every day. Eat more because you need it but given how much you do you'd have to eat a heck of a lot to make that up.

Also don't run everyday your muscles need a rest. Take at least one day off a week so they can recover and build themselves back up.