Work the muscles you barely use...

YassSpartan
YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
... and eliminate shock from the areas don't need it.

Quick post since I came across this product a while ago but I really didn't have anyone to share it with except with my friends on Facebook. Since here everyone is looking for ways to get healthier via fitness I thought it would be a great idea to share it with all of you.

Have anyone of you heard of the Vibram FiveFingers shoes? Or maybe you've seeing it out there but you have no idea how they're called or what's the whole idea behind its funny looks. These are the shoes, or at least one of the models they have.

Vibram-FiveFingers-KSO-Men-Full.jpg

Since I'm not planning on making you read a review written based on the videos I've seen about it, I'll rather save you the time of making you search for reviews and explanations why this shoes are supposed to be amazing for you and post the links to the videos I found with better explanations.

Quick Note: The reason I named this "work the muscles you barely use" is because we don't work enough certain muscles of our legs and feet because of how we walk and the shoes we wear. You'll see what I mean on the videos.

Reviews
Hot Summer Gear: Vibram FiveFingers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7mELaYQ-uI

Field Test: Vibram Five Fingers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3L02zR84M

Medical explanations about barefoot running, including one specifically talking about this shoes.
Indianapolis Chiropractor - Vibram Five Fingers - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z40z1Z6q9N0&feature=related

Running Analysis of Heel Strike versus Forefoot Strike (Same runner, 2 weeks apart)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo&feature=related

The Vibram FiveFingers official website
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com

Replies

• I love my Virbrams :).
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    I run strictly barefoot (but it's on my treadmill). This spring when I venture outdoors, I will have to figure out what to do. The Vibrams are tempting, but man oh man, if anybody I know sees me in those things I'm going to catch a lot of ridicule for it! :blushing:
  • They look alright, a bit like a wetsuit for yer feet. Bet they're pretty comfy/fun to run in.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    A friend of mine has them and she loves them. My biggest problem is that you can't wear socks! My feet are always so cold except during the hottest part of summer, and they dont' really make a warm version.
  • YassSpartan
    The Vibrams are tempting, but man oh man, if anybody I know sees me in those things I'm going to catch a lot of ridicule for it!

LOL tell me about it, I would definitely use only when wearing some sports outfit that people know I'm working out hahahaaa :bigsmile:
    Bet they're pretty comfy/fun to run in.

So I've heard
    My biggest problem is that you can't wear socks! My feet are always so cold except during the hottest part of summer, and they dont' really make a warm version.

I guess that's really an issue :frown:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    My old trainer recomended them to me once,I keep meaning to get some.
  • FearAnLoathing
    :huh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    A friend of mine has them and she loves them. My biggest problem is that you can't wear socks! My feet are always so cold except during the hottest part of summer, and they dont' really make a warm version.

you could find a pair of those socks with toes in them
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    I don't think they would be very good for my flat feet.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I love my Vibram KSOs. I use them for off road running only though. I wouldn't get away with using them for road running.

They really helped me change my gait from being a heavy heel striker to becoming a fore-to-midfoot runner, and I have been much less injury prone since.
  • YassSpartan
    I keep meaning to get some.

Me too, but I will as soon as I have the $85 to spend on them
    I don't think they would be very good for my flat feet.

Honestly, I have no idea :grumble: although personally I'm just going to use them during the time I'm working out, and maybe it will help with my knees issue and get back to running.
  • YassSpartan
    I love my Vibram KSOs. I use them for off road running only though. I wouldn't get away with using them for road running.

They really helped me change my gait from being a heavy heel striker to becoming a fore-midfoot runner, and I have been much less injury prone since.

That's exactly what I'm expecting "backinthenines", I'm hoping to get some stress off my knees once I force myself to use the fore-mid foot because of the feeling of being barefoot :smile:
  • taso42_DELETED
    Honestly, I have no idea :grumble: although personally I'm just going to use them during the time I'm working out, and maybe it will help with my knees issue and get back to running.

Your mileage may vary of course, but for me, the barefoot thing has worked wonders on my knee. Back in my first round of getting fit (while I was still running in sneakers), I ran into a IT band injury right around my right knee. The last thing I needed was an excuse to stop running, as I was just getting used to it, but the pain was really bad and I had to stop for literally many months. Fast forward to now, and I've been injury free for several months now *knock on wood*. I have to admit, there's also something kind of bad-*kitten* about doing it barefoot :happy:
  • taso42_DELETED

Can you please elaborate on this? Is it because the hardness of the pavement would be a bit too rough?
  • bump
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member

I believe they now make a womens version with wool uppers. The only thing is that they are just for indoor use.

I've had my eye on the Vibrams for a while and would really like a pair. I want to be able to use them for trail walking/running. Any suggestions on the different models for women? I think I am leaning more towards the style with the velcro closure and not the slip ons. Also, would these be appropriate for wearing during Warrior Dash when Im in and out of the water/mud? Can I make it over obsticle walls in them?

Jules
  • backinthenines

Can you please elaborate on this? Is it because the hardness of the pavement would be a bit too rough?

Simply because of my mechanics. I pronate severely. I use Vibrams to strengthen various small muscles in the foot and my gait has become a lot more stable in the process. But I just don't think that away from soft ground such as grass, sand or trail, my knees would like the impact very much on a long run on concrete.

I have seen someone race a very fast Half Mara in Vibrams and I know someone who does all his training miles in Vibrams, but he's a neutral runner not a pronator like me. I think what you get away with largely depends on your mechanics.
  • backinthenines
    I've had my eye on the Vibrams for a while and would really like a pair. I want to be able to use them for trail walking/running. Any suggestions on the different models for women? I think I am leaning more towards the style with the velcro closure and not the slip ons. Also, would these be appropriate for wearing during Warrior Dash when Im in and out of the water/mud? Can I make it over obsticle walls in them?

Jules

I love the KSOs. Stands for "keep stuff out" apparently. I had a pair of Sprints before, but forever got little stones inside, but the KSOs do keep stuff out. :smile:
  • I don't run but I've been looking at getting them for weight training. Just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    i hope you have orthotics.
This discussion has been closed.