Are quaker oats steel cut?

Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I've heard to buy steel cut oats but I can't find them! Are they the old fashioned quaker oats in that canister thing? It doesn't say steel cut on it. Just wondering. Thanks!

Replies

• Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Steel cut oats are a special type I can get them at the local health food store--I have to admit I haven't tried them yet but I want to soon!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Steel cut oats can be found at a Natural Food store. I can find Steel Cut Oats in my upscale grocery store in the Natural Foods section. I do not believe Quaker Oats Old Fashion Oats are steel cut. Most steel cut oats that I find say STEEL CUT on the packaging.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Nope, Quaker is not. I think the most common brand at grocery stores is McCann's Irish Oats. They come in a tin and they are kind of pricey. They look quite different from regular oats. Sort of more pellet shaped and hard and dense. If you have a whole foods or some place that has those bulk food bins, they often have steel cut oats there, and it's way cheaper than the McCann's.

Another thing to be aware is that it takes about 45 minutes to cook up a batch of steel cut, vs just a couple of minutes with regular. So yummy though.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Pretty sure those are rolled oats. Steel cut oats will be labeled as such.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Steel cut oats look different than your quaker, or other brands, of oatmeal. It cooks up much like cream of wheat texture, a bit more textured, but similar. Tastes WAY better than either cream of wheat or regular oatmeal, IMHO. :0) The Fred Meyer down the street sells it, surely grocery stores have it, just ask.
  • Tuckersn
    Steel cut oats look different than your quaker, or other brands, of oatmeal. It cooks up much like cream of wheat texture, a bit more textured, but similar. Tastes WAY better than either cream of wheat or regular oatmeal, IMHO. :0) The Fred Meyer down the street sells it, surely grocery stores have it, just ask.

Oh, and it costs a pretty penny more, just a warning.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    I use McCaans Steel cut. but there are other brands. Im not sure if Quaker sells them. You will know when you open it. It doesnt look like oatmeal. It looks like grain. Because thats what it is.

Steel cut oats are exactly that oats that have been cut in half. Oatmeal like you normally see it is Rolled flat and crushed. Steel cut oats dont get rolled.

Its a completely different flavor and SOOO good. Regular oatmeal tastes like a cheap imitation now.
  • Tuckersn
    Nope, Quaker is not. I think the most common brand at grocery stores is McCann's Irish Oats. They come in a tin and they are kind of pricey. They look quite different from regular oats. Sort of more pellet shaped and hard and dense. If you have a whole foods or some place that has those bulk food bins, they often have steel cut oats there, and it's way cheaper than the McCann's.

Another thing to be aware is that it takes about 45 minutes to cook up a batch of steel cut, vs just a couple of minutes with regular. So yummy though.

I must have a quick cook kind, mine cook up in 5-8 minutes . . .
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    you can buy steel cut oatmeal at walmart.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Trader Joe's has a quick cooking variety of steel cut oats if there's one near you.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    They are harder to find, and it will say steal cut on the box. They take like forever to cook but I really like the texture,warning it is nothing like normal oatmeal and some people can't stand it.

Oh, I tried this tip from hungery girl today(for normal oat meal) use twice as much liquid and cook it twice as long, then let sit to thicken, you end up with twice as much oatmeal for the same cals..it actually worked quite well, the texture was a little different, but not terrible! I will deffinately do it again, so thats a good sign lol :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I don't know where they came from, Costco probably, but I came home one day to find Coach's Oats which are steel cut.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    Another note*

They do take longer to cook like was mentioned. What I do is boil water...dump in the oats....Cook for 5 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. *Before bed*

In the morning its cooked to perfection. Add a little heat and your all set!
  • taso42_DELETED

I must have a quick cook kind, mine cook up in 5-8 minutes . . .

Good point. I've seen those. I think they're called "instant steel cut oats". Maybe I'll try those out next time.
  • As all the previous posters have stated, they are not the same thing. However, it is my understanding that the "Old Fashioned Oats" are still better for you than "Instant Oatmeal" but steel cut is supposed to be the best & most filling. . .I've never tried it myself though, I eat the old-fashioned oats.
  • Look for steel cut oats in the bulk section of your local health food section or health store. They are much cheaper in bulk.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    My store (hyvee) has a health food section in their store and they sell them there. The oats I bought (bob's red mill) came in a big bag and were about $3.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Another note*

They do take longer to cook like was mentioned. What I do is boil water...dump in the oats....Cook for 5 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. *Before bed*

In the morning its cooked to perfection. Add a little heat and your all set!

Nice. This is similar to the crock pot method. You can do them in a crock pot over night and add in all sorts of dried fruit. By the morning the fruit has plumped up from absorbing water. It's kind of magical. :love:
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    I heard about them on this site and gave them a try and am HOOKED. I have them almost every day for breakfast now. Like others have said, they can be found in bulk at some places or Walmart has them, but at Wally world they are pricier. As for cooking them, I boil 4 cups of water at night before I go to bed, add 1 cup of the oats, then turn off the burner, cover the oats, and let them set overnight. By morning they are done and I have breakfast for the next 4 days :smile:
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    oops
This discussion has been closed.