HRM Question

daryls
daryls Posts: 260
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
For those of you who have been using a HRM - are the (exercise - cardio) calories on MFP accurate for you, compared to your HRM?

I'm on the smaller side, so I'm really interested in hearing from those who are focusing on toning vs. losing weight.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    I find some of them are closer to the range I do, but others are way off! I go by my HRM for sure! I was on the elliptical this morning for 42 minutes, and MFP told me I burned 502 calories. My heart rate monitor said 355. I go with what is strapped to my body.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Thanks! I know our treadmill calorie counter is way off - it is almost double the calories of MFP.

I generally air on the side of caution and report less minutes than I actually do - if it's an hour class, I only put in 45 minutes.

I may have to go ahead and buy an HRM if I want to be more accurate.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I started using an HRM a few weeks ago, and MFP gave me a lot more calories burned than my monitor does for my cardiovascular workouts like high-impact aerobics, snowshoeing, or kickboxing. MFP also seriously underestimated my calories burned for strength training.

Sometimes the calories I burn when running are pretty comparable.

I am fairly heavy for my height (5'2" and 145 lbs), focusing on toning AND losing weight.

I basically think my HRM was one of the best $100 investments I have ever made. I had been stuck at a plateau, but since using it regularly I have started losing weight again.

Hope that helps!!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    I have just been cursing my HRM (santa claus brought it for me and it is a super super bit of kit BUT a perfect example is today when I cycled to work my HRM awarded me 129 cals MFP over 350!!!!!! but I gotta say since april 2010 i have been eating the cals given by mfp and I have lost steadily...... so I just dont know! I am continuing to use my hrm of course coz i believe it is more accurate BUT I am hungrier at the moment!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    I use a cybex arc and the arc showed 30% more calories then I actually burned on my HRM. I mean when you think you do 1,000 and you only do 700 thats alot but especially if your only 10 or 15 pounds from goal weight it would be killer to be that far off.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I never rely on the calorie count that MFP calculates for me. I've found it to be almost double what my HRM calculates... so I like to err on the side of reporting too few calories rather than too many.
This discussion has been closed.