TRAIL MIX! Healthy or just binge eating waiting to happen?

Options
The other day I bought a healthy trail mix without too many nuts. It was delicious and it felt like I was doing good things for my body BUT there can be a lot of calories! How can one eat trail mix in a healthy manner? Is it all about the portion size OR about the contents?

It just doesn't make sense to me that trail mix can be a bad idea.

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It's both. Watch your portion size, and what's in it. I tend to make my own (or just eat some raw almonds and dried cherries). Check the nutrition label. Is there a lot of sodium, fat, and sugar? Are there chocolate pieces in it? I usually cut the serving size in half (or even thirds).
  • LizGogol
    LizGogol Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh My Goodness I wouldn't care get trail mix with chocolate! haha. It might have to stay out of my diet plan because I just can't control myself around the stuff!

I try to stay away from too many nuts in them as well. I just didn't get how dried fruit and seeds could be bad for you.
  • mfergie889
    Options
    "Nuts about Raspberries" from trader joes is amazing. I measure EVERYTHING. If I want trail mix, I get 1/4 cup. Once you log it into your MFP and see how much of your daily fat/sodium allowance it just took from you, you might not want as much anyway.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As soon as we get home, I measure it out into individual serving size packages. Otherwise my hubby will eat an entire container! LOL
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    store bought trial mix is evil in my opinion, I have no control lol..I like boiled egg whites as a snack
  • s_waser
    Options
    I know you said that you try not to get trail mix with nuts but nuts are good for you and provide you with protein. One of the best nuts to eat is almond, they are really healthy. You could eat them with dried cranberries (craisins) or raisins. I like craisins because they are sweet. I eat about 23 almonds and 1/4 cup of craisins. If you eat them slow and not by the handful it can be really satisfying. I am one who could get a container of trail mix from the store and eat it in one setting. So I now measure everything out and pace myself! You could also add no butter or light butter popcorn to the mix which is healthy too!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of making your own. We bought a dehydrator so we could add our own fruits without the added sugars. We also use raw nuts that have no added salts.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    As soon as we get home, I measure it out into individual serving size packages. Otherwise my hubby will eat an entire container! LOL

This is what I would suggest, too. I'm better at portion control now, but at first I had a really difficult time with it. You could even get small tupperware containers for your trail mix. They also sell 100 calorie packs of nuts and trail mixes. I've seen them at the grocery store and Costco.