P90x Weights question

TattooedMommy427
TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys. DH and I are starting p90x together in a couple of weeks and I was wondering what size weights you all recommend for the both of us?
DH is 5'8 and ranges from 130-140lbs, hes a skinny guy but has some pretty nice size arm muscles.
And me, being female, (stats in siggy) I have 3lbs weights right now, should I start with those or something heavier? I obviously want to tone, not bulk up so I dont want to go too heavy. I was thinking of getting 5lbs and 8 lbs? Opinions please. Perferably from people that have done P90x before. Thanks.

Replies

• Jo_Bird
    Jo_Bird Posts: 38 Member
    If you can afford to do so I would try getting a set with several different weights. I would say the 3lbs is a good start for you but, there will be exercises that 3lbs will just be too easy for you and you'll want to grab heavier weights to get the best results. The girl in the video goes up to 10lbs. And, the men go from I think 10lbs - 25lbs. But, they grab less and more weights throughout the whole video depending on the exercise. Resistant bands are nice to have around too in case you get to tuckered out and feel like you might drop a weight if you do anymore they have someone always using the resistant bands to show you how with them. :happy: Welcome to p90x.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 237 Member
    I just started P90X, and I have 5,8,10's. I know I'll have to increase eventually, but at the moment I need to build my strength up.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Thank you both. I went and got some 8's, my mom has some 5's she doesnt use, I'm gonna see if she will let me have them. DH got some 15's. He's cheap and didnt want to buy more. We also got a pull up bar. I know I wont be using it for a LONG time. He can get on it and bust out a ton. lol
  • My DH and I use anywhere from 3#-35#. it all depends on the video. i use 5-20# on all the excercises. don't be scared to pull the weight. you won't "bulk up" really. it's all about feeling the burn. they recommend either 8-10 reps for guys and 12-15 for women as long as the last 3 are where you feel some real burn. it's all about finding your 'failure' point and then pushing that line. same goes for pushups and pullups. go for max reps and you have to WORK at it! Good luck! My DH is on his 3rd round of P90X and I'm just starting again. I'm on the Lean program and he's on doubles!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Target carries Reebok Speed pac adjustable weights. It comes in two different weight levels. I have the 5-25 pound weight pack. My husband uses the resistance bands for all of his exercises. I use the resistance bands for back workouts.
This discussion has been closed.