Science Fair Project?

KaylatheChristian
KaylatheChristian Posts: 112
edited September 23 in Chit-Chat
OK my MFP community, my 8 year old daughter is doing a science fair project..HELP! We need ideas that demonstrate the scientific method...

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Oh how I do not miss school. What is she interested in? She must have hobbies she can base a project around.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    A popular one in our neck of the woods is to see how soda affects teeth (or pennies). Put one in each type of soda you want to test (coke or pepsi, mountain dew, root beer, sprite or 7up are good choices). Record how the soda affects them over a few days. It's easy to do, and easy to replicate if you need to do a demonstration for a science fair. I am trying to talk my daughter into doing that this year herself so she can see the effects of soda and maybe not want to drink it so much. (Which of course is largely my fault, because I would share mine with her til I gave them up.) Double benefit, more health concsiousness AND a good science fair project!
    Good luck!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    oh I have a great one!!!! I got in the top 5 in my grade(8th) for a progect I did night before it was due haha.

well mine was a alot more complicated, but here is an easy version:

materials:
    stop watched
    alkaseltzer
    water
    cup

procedure: fill cup with hot water (measure temp if you want) and but in the alkaseltzer and time how long it take to dizzsolve, then do the same thing with cold water, and room temp water

be sure to record what it looks like, teachers love charts

water temp time observations

hot 20 sec it bubbled alot and dissovled quickly

sample hypothesis: The alkaseltzer will desolve faster in the hot water.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    I was a science fair judge for about 15 years. We had a "points" sheet to complete on each project. About 1/3 of the points awarded were for originality of thought. About half of the remaining points were awarded for the student's ability to verbally describe the project. In other words, "mommy and daddy told me to do this" wouldn't get much merit.
    Neither is a sci fair project a model-building contest. Some of my highest rated projects involved 100% theory.
    Projects to avoid -- ones that show up year after year -- the effect of (rock, country, classical, etc.) music on plant growth, anything about the damage caused by smoking, chemical luminescence, any "kit" project sold by Radio Shack.
    Look for something your child has an interest in -- a hobby or sports activity. Say she is interested in soccer. She could examine the effect of different shoe construction or curvature of the toe of the shoe versus the trajectory of a kicked ball.
    Just about anything where a hypothesis could be assumed, then scientific principles are applied to prove or disprove the hypothesis.
    Also, very important, is the fact that the project NEED NOT BE SUCCESSFUL. It's the research that matters. Of course, it would be great if the REASON for the failure could be determined.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Having been through science fairs with three kids, I can think of a few too!

Which paper towel is more absorbent?
    use different kinds and make a chart and use examples at the fair.

Will mold grow on x factor? How long does it take?
    again, make a chart, log the day started, the item and see
    which item grows mold in certain conditions.
    a piece of bread in a plastic baggie, and not, etc.

I even had a kid who hypothesized: What would happen if you watered plants with different liquids?

so we go some seeds, and he watered on regularly, one with milk, one with orange pop, and something else can't remember, but once again, you can chart what happens on day one, etc. Bring the plant to school with your poster board showing the changes in the different plants.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
This discussion has been closed.