Protein shakes etc - confused ?

countdowntotarget
countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi - just wondered if someone could clear up some confusion:

At the moment I am running/training and in all the fitness magazines they are advertising proteinshakes or whey shakes to promote muscle repair - but:

1 - are they really needed or is it just a sales pitch

2. - if they are needed WHEN do I drink them ?? from what I can figure out I drink AFTER a workout ??

3. - again if they are needed which is best protein or whey - or OTHER ?? and which brand ??

Ive googled and asked in the fitness suplement shop but all Im getting is conflicting information ???

I DONT UNDERSTAND !!!!! lol x

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    1. It depends on your goals. Some need them if they work out really vigorously or can be used if someone is doing high protein diet. It can be a sales pitch too though as some drink them thinking it will just overall help lose weight.

2. After a workout is best. Protein after a workout and carbs before is the "ideal"

3. I use the Weider 90% protein. It's 116 cals for one scoop (chocolate flavored). 1g fat, 2g carbs, 25g protein. I mix mine with milk and ice which increases the calorie level, but you can add it to water. I don't drink them all the time. I more often drink them if I did both cardio and strength training in one day.

ETA: I bought the Weider brand at Superstore and have seen it at different grocery stores.

And i forgot to mention that if you don't want the extra calories from a shake, just eat a protein snack after working out. There's been a few recent studies saying a glass of chocolate milk of all things is a great replenishment.
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    You'll probably get conflicting info on here too. It seems to be a personal preference area, i've used search to find out about protein shakes and looked through loads of threads and i still don't know what would be best for me. Also i found some people saying protein shakes are not neccesary and to just eat a protein rich snack after a workout (cottage cheese was one i remember being mentioned). Good luck with your search :smile:
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    I drink a super delicious whey isolate protein powder called ALLMAX ISOFLEX in the peanut butter chocolate chip flavor no more then 45minutes after my workouts. Its not hype, if you are training hard your body needs protein!! :flowerforyou:
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Keep in mind, almost all magazines are basically catalogs for supplements. Don't believe much you read there. However, whey protein is good as a supplement. If you are getting enough protein from your daily food (think 1g of protein per pound of lean bodymass as a minimum goal) then you certainly don't need any. If you need to get more protein in your day to get up to that goal, but can't handle another chicken breast, then try whey.

The other common misconception is that your muscles are broken down during lifting and repair after the workout. This is kind of true, but doesn't have to be. Try sipping one scoop whey during your workout. The BCAA's will help build muscle even when you're in the gym, then slam a second scoop right after your workout to help recharge.

Steve
    KnightFit.com
    Get your macro nutrients right and everything else is easy!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    1 - are they really needed or is it just a sales pitch

Strictly speaking, they are not needed.Think of it basically as a convenience factor. Ideally you should get all your nutrition from real whole foods. But realistically, it is often quite difficult to prepare that much food every day, especially if you follow the 5 or 6 meals a day philosophy. This is where protein supplements come in handy. They are a useful TOOL for providing yourself enough protein.

Also, yes it is a sales pitch. There's way too much marketing around these products.
    2. - if they are needed WHEN do I drink them ?? from what I can figure out I drink AFTER a workout ??

After a workout take both protein and carbs. Your body will use the protein to rebuild the muscle, and use the carbs to replenish the glycogen stores that you've just depleted. Many experts say that you can even take a high glycemic index carb right after the workout. It's the one time of day that it's "ok" to do that, they say. Not exactly sure why - presumably because it enters the blood faster.
    3. - again if they are needed which is best protein or whey - or OTHER ?? and which brand ??

Just go with whatever reputable brand you can get your hands on the cheapest, and that you can tolerate the taste of. Keep a very close eye on the ingredients. Most use artificial sweeteners which is a deal breaker for some folks. On the other hand, if they contain sugar that could also be a deal breaker. Go with what you're comfortable putting in your body.

Also be aware that some of them are protein+carbs, essentially making them a meal replacement. And others are close to 100% protein. Again, different tools for different scenarios. You can use the protein+carb type of drink after a workout or as a meal replacement. You can use the protein-only drink before bedtime, or as a base to your own homemade meal replacement.

Hope that helps a bit. It's a rather confusing area, ESPECIALLY with all the marketing.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    I had gastric bypass and need 50 to 60 grams of protein a day. I use the shakes on occasion to supplement my protein intake. If I have a vigorous workout I drink one during it. If I have a moderate workout I drink on afterwards. Carbs before workout and protein after is what my nutrionist and trainer recommend. I use UNJURY products. You can only get them at UNJURY.com. They have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, unflavored and a chicken soup. I use the unflavored in puddings. This is the protein supplement recommended by 3 nutrionists that I know.

If you want to cut calories use skim or soy milk and add ice to make the shakes. Hope this info is helpful.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I second the comment that they are a convenience, not a necessity. It's the protein that is important thing, not the way it is ingested. Shakes can be a quick, easy, and sometimes even economical way to get in a few extra grams of protein.

Personally, I prefer food. I tried a big bag of protein powder from Costco this past month. On one hand it was a lot cheaper than Greek yogurt (at $0.42 for 27g protein). On the other, it seemed an easy way to add a lot of calories, even when I offset the calories in the drink with reductions in other foods. This month, I am going back to greek yogurt and see if it makes any difference.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Personally, I like it. I've only been drinking protein shakes for about 2 weeks now, but I've really felt a difference in appetite suppression. I drink one as soon as I get home from the gym, and It keeps me from raiding the fridge / cupboards until I can prepare myself a suitable dinner. Also, I just wasn't getting enough protein before.

And this is totally anecdotal, but I swear my muscles are responding well to the increase in protein as well.

I add 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey to 8oz of fat free milk. It is a few extra calories, but on the bright side, I made room for it by giving up the 1oz bag of Doritos I was having for my snack every day (which was doing nothing for me). So that's another positive ...
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    brilliant - thank you for all of your advice - Im still approx 3 stone overweight and am determined to take part in the Liverpool Marathon in October (1st time its back in 18 years so its gotta be done !!) and I dont want to waste time doing one thing when I should be doing another thing for optimum results - if you know what I mean !!?? - at the moment I dont have anything before hand - run with a low cal sports drink and then have a banana afterwards so by the looks of it I need to tweek my before/after a bit

Thanks for all your help x
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I do protein for convience - it's a really quick way to get my protein in the morning. I'm going into a nutrition store recommended by a friend so who knows what I'll come home with.

One thing for an easy recovery drink - and cheap - is a glass of chocolate milk. It has the right balance of carbs and proteins to help your muscles recover.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    bump
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    I drink a super delicious whey isolate protein powder called ALLMAX ISOFLEX in the peanut butter chocolate chip flavor no more then 45minutes after my workouts. Its not hype, if you are training hard your body needs protein!! :flowerforyou:
    \

I gotta try this peanut butter chocolate next time I need whey powder.
  • All the really serious tri-athletes I know use them, but they train for up to 8 hours in one go...! I've always reckoned they're probably useful for body builders etc who break down a lot of muscle regularly and want to rebuild it fast. without having to consume tons of food. Book I read recently is an eye-opener........ advocates that the 'western diet (read obesity)' and 'western diseases' are a direct result of our loss of touch with real food - i.e. unprocessed fresh local seasonal foods. I'm now very into the idea that anything that claims to have added supplements/health benefits is a waste of time - did you know that bread has already had it's natural omega 3 removed????? Diversity is where it's at.....!!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    If you're going to use protein supplements, just be conscious of the quality of protein you're getting. If you use whey, whey protein isolate is best. It has more protein and less fat and lactose compared to whey concentrate.

Also, protein supplements are designed to ADD muscle weight for bodybuilders, weight trainers and professional athletes, so be conscious of caloric intake if you mix them with cow's milk.

If you're lactose-intolerant, soy protein products are also available.

They are a great convenience, and an easy way to add essential protein to your diet.
  • I attribute my 12kg weight loss to meal replacement protein shake for brekky. I used to not make time to eat breakfast or have cereal at work, and have since found that the increase in protein in my diet has made me drop fat % and inches, whilst increasing my lean muscle mass.

I have since had friends ask me how I lost weight and they have replicated the same nutrition and exercise program I did with fantastic results. A work colleague of mine has now lost 14kgs over 4 months and fits into size 10 (Australian sizing) jeans for the first time in her life! I would strongly recommend the shakes I tried, but would warn people to be aware of the different brands and nutritional info before getting into them as can vary significantly between brands. Quick, convenient and a craving killer - I owe my protein/meal replacement shakes a lot!
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    If you are getting enough protein from your daily food (think 1g of protein per pound of lean bodymass as a minimum goal) then you certainly don't need any. If you need to get more protein in your day to get up to that goal, but can't handle another chicken breast, then try whey.
    I thought that the nutritional guideline for protein for a male (FDA) was .84g per 1kg body weight not per lb.

As the body does not store protein (amino acids) if you take excess and can not use it (such as for muscle fibre building, cellular repair etc) then the amino acids will be converted (depending on which amino acid) to either fat for storage or to glucose for use ( or then for storage).
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    If you are getting enough protein from your daily food (think 1g of protein per pound of lean bodymass as a minimum goal) then you certainly don't need any. If you need to get more protein in your day to get up to that goal, but can't handle another chicken breast, then try whey.
    I thought that the nutritional guideline for protein for a male (FDA) was .84g per 1kg body weight not per lb.

As the body does not store protein (amino acids) if you take excess and can not use it (such as for muscle fibre building, cellular repair etc) then the amino acids will be converted (depending on which amino acid) to either fat for storage or to glucose for use ( or then for storage).

I believe you're right, but it also depends on ones goals. Runners will need less protein than bodybuilders. I've read in a lot of forums where bodybuilders will aim for 1 to 2 grams per pound of lean mass.There may be a mis- translationin there where it is supposed to be kilograms, but if I aim for 2 grams per kg. Of actual bodyweight, it works out the same as 1 gram per lb. Of lean mass.
This discussion has been closed.