Need opinions good bad or ugly

Options
dlaplume2
dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
Hi everyone.
I am not asking for permission to cheat or anything. I have been doing very well. My husband and I are going to a freinds house for dinner. She is a very good cook, does the whole nine yards with glazes deserts, etc. I have been preparing for this and trying to eat healthy and have even done some added exercises to allow the calories. I really want to be conservative and not overdo it, do you think she would be offended, or even notice if I just took really small portions of everything?

My journal is public so if you think I am being OCD in not taking a night off tell me truthfully. I have worked so hard to keep my calories in line and stay near 1200 and I have not gone over once so far. I kind of want to keep that streak going for as long as I can. I also know that I will SOMEDAY go over on my calories, I just don'e know if I'm ready for it so soon.

Gosh even reading I feel like I am being OCD.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I doubt she would be offended. If she brings it up, just tell her truthfully that it's delicious, you're just trying to watch your portion sizes. No big deal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I know I wouldn't be offended! Heck, I'd be happy to have leftovers! :smile:
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    I'm sure she won't be offended. Explain why you're doing it, and it'll be fine.
    Besides, it's alright to go over your calories once in a while. I allow myself a treat once a week but I try to do an extra awesome workout that morning, too.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    No matter what, log your calories if you have the time. Look at my diary yesterday, wrote down the mcdonald's burger & fries and the subsequent keebler cookies. Its easier to think it didn't happen if you don't write it down and that makes it easier to make mistakes, fall off the healthy path.

If she is offended then she's not that great of a friend, friends should be supportive. If she questions just tell her that she's such a great cook that you want to be able to sample a little of everything but but maintain the healthy track you've been on.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If she's offended, then that's her own issue. Do what's best for you. Eat as much or as little as your body needs. You can't please everyone, just focus on pleasing you.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I doubt she would be offended. If she brings it up, just tell her truthfully that it's delicious, you're just trying to watch your portion sizes. No big deal.

I agree - I think the only thing that might be offensive is if you refused to eat any of it ... I think controlled portions are the best option - and it allows you to taste (and savor) every bite.:happy:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I say just do what you kinda planned - take the smaller portions of everything and savor it. You will probably be over 1200, but one day isn't going to kill everything forever and ever.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Let her know that you are working on your portion sizes. Allow yourself to "cheat" here and there. Of course, the more you follow the plan, the better off you will be, but consider that you are probably eating significantly better than you were before. Additionally, the calorie count that they give you is based on how much you want to lose. One day over may "maintain" your weight for a day, but you can make improvements every other day. I didn't look at your log, but if everything else is picture perfect, allowing yourself a moderate indulgence may be good for your psyche! :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    If she questions just tell her that she's such a great cook that you want to be able to sample a little of everything but but maintain the healthy track you've been on.

Ohhh!!! I love it I will so use it if it come up.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I doubt she'd be offended, but one night won't hurt, either. Especially if you've made sure to exercise a good bit to counteract the calorie consumption. Just drink lots of water!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Two things. If you want to restrain yourself, there are ways of doing it without a lot of drama. You take smaller portions, compliment her on the meal and just say you're not that hungry. No need to go into elaborate explanations of your weight loss efforts, etc, etc.

Second thing: one night is not going to sabotage your program. I'm not saying you have to go crazy, but there is no reason not to relax and enjoy the evening. If that means you go over your calories, it's no big deal. It's not like you are going to gain 5lbs in one night.

We always say to ourselves: this is a lifestyle, not a "diet". Well, part of a normal "lifestyle" often includes going out for dinner. Again, one can manage these situations without raising the tension levels.
  • canucklynn
    canucklynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The thing I just love about this site is that it ISN"T all about calories. It is about energy in and energy out.
    When I have to go eat out or know there is an opportunity to splurge coming up, I exercise a little extra that day or the day before. Technically, you can't "bank" your calories, but if you are 300 under for two days before the splurge day, who cares if you are 500 over one time? For the week, you're still under. Stay under and you keep losing weight. There are 3600 calories in a pound of fat, and the calories don't care if you drown them swimming or sweat them out running. Then why should they care if you take them in on different days?
    Here's an example: This weekend I am running a marathon. That means I get to eat an EXTRA 3652 calories that day. I am going to eat my heart out Sunday, and still be waaaay under.
    You don't have to run a marathon to see the calorie benefit. It all adds up.
    Have fun at your friend's dinner. Just put an extra 15 min on the elliptical the rest of the week BEFORE the dinner. Don't bank calories until you have already done the work out. I think otherwise would be setting yourself up for failure.
    Good luck!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Don’t forget this is a change for the long haul. We have to live and learn to eat when we aren't in control of the menu. Just watch your portion sizes and have a good time.