In need of different exercises!

Options
I live in an apartment complex that has a TINY gym that consists of a treadmill, an all in one weight machine, and an elliptimill (not an elliptical and it is MUCH harder on the legs than an elliptical!) There is barely room to walk around the equipment. I walk/jog on the treadmill for about 40 minutes, weights for about 15, and the elliptimill for about 10 minutes (that is all my legs can handle with that thing!) 6 days a week. I am very greatful for the gym, especially since it is too cold outside for any outdoor activities. Also, I am a broke college student so I don't have extra money to spend on workout DVD's. :( But i just really need to shake it up some! any ideas?? Thanks everybody!!

Replies

• NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Try doing some upper body stuff while you'e on the treadmill. I have added this just to save time. BE CAREFUL...make sure you're at a comfortable walking pace, not to fast or you might lose your balance. I use 2 lb weights and do bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, punches (concentrating on my abs), lift your hands straight in the air and do slight side bends to work on obliques, over head presses, shoulder raises (with your arms straight out to the sides), etc. Hope this helps.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have lots of magazine workouts but one that is really fun is intervals. The one I am currently doing is picking 5 exercises and doing as many as I can for one minute and then switching. Complete the circuit 3 - 5 times and its awesome. jumping squats, lunges, pushups, pop ups, globe jump squats (4 squats in a square = 1), front kicks, high knees, etc. GOOD LUCK
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    So you are currently a college student? are you doing actually classes in a class room or online? Some colleges offer workout classes
  • sybil1106
    Options
    If you have internet there are some yoga and workout routines on hulu.com. Try the wellness page to see what other type of exercise ideas they have. This may help you with exercise routines for small rooms and no equipment. Hope this helps. I forgot to mention Hulu.com exercises are free.
    Sybil
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Buy a skipping rope, it's probably the cheapest piece of equipment! You also burn heaps of calories doing this.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you have cable service on your TV,check to see their On Demand (or equivalent) section. Many of the larger ones have Excercise TV options.. for free.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    check out your university library for dvds - you may be surprised how big their selection is. i remember really getting into bollywood movies, and i was shocked and thrilled to find out that upenn's library had almost 1000 of them! your college probably has a varied assortment of exercise dvds.