Belly fat

Options
So, I'm 21, 5'6 and 119.2 pounds. I have lost nearly 125 pounds over the last few months. However, I still have a decent amount of belly fat. I don't have much left to lose, so I'm not sure how that belly fat will go away. Do you have any suggestions on how to finally get it gone?

Thanks,

-K

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i recommend strength training. and not just doing 100 sit ups. but using heavy weights for 8 to 10 reps
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    I agree. Lots of strength training. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Rowanboat82
    Options
    I had a baby 15 months ago and I too am struggling to shift the baby tummy, only have a little to go but its just not shifting. Am doing a lot of cardio workouts but nothing is working? Any advice?
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    all i can recommend is lots of cardio! i've heard that doing any sort of ab exercises are pointless until the fat is gone because the muscle will just be building UNDER the fat which will make your stomach look even bigger. though, i am not sure how true this is. :\ so don't quote me! i have the same trouble though. i've lost 33 lbs but i still see this jiggly stomach.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

You may want to read this. It is long but excellent thread. You at your height and weight cannot afford to lose any more weight so you can try shifting to weight training and hope that you burn fat and gain muscle. You might actually gain weight per the scale but look better. One cannot spot reduce fat other than by liposuction though which of course I am not recommending.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I agree. Lots of strength training. Congrats on the weight loss!

yes this too - congrats!!

To add onto the strength training, the wonderful thing about doing strength training exercises such as squats and lunges is you use the abdominal muscles to steady yourself. So while you may be doing a day working your legs, you're still working out your ab muscles
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    According to some of the recent literature I have read, reducing sugar and carb intake, and eating MUFA's (mono-unsaturated fatty acids) with every meal is helpful in reducing belly fat. Prevention magazine has a program called "Flat Belly Diet." I have had good luck with their publications in the past. Google flat belly diet and you will get lots of links that will tell you more. It looks like a fairly easy program to follow, and crunches are NOT mandatory to achieve success.

Good luck.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    HIIT (high intensity interval training). Don't waste your time with endless hours of 'cardio'. Read up on HIIT and get that into your routine, a lot less time and far more effective. Combine this with some strength training and you should be fine.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Strength training in women does not add bulk. Even in men strength training the abs only firms and adds slight size. You can do crunches till your blue in the face and be fine. Building muscle while losing weight is almost impossible, you can tone, strengthen but you won't add bulk.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Wondering if doing one of those 8 min stomach things could help too?

Though I'm fat, fat DID shift when I did this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Abs-Meghan-White/dp/B000B5XPFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296942711&sr=8-1
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Heavy Weight Lifting and a slight caloric deficit with minimal High GI Carbs outside of breakfast and before/after exercising.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned HIIT. I was curious, so I googled, and the info on the link below is very straightforward and addresses the OP's question:

http://www.notyouraveragefitnesstips.com/best-workout-routines/best-cardio-for-weight-loss-hiit-workout-routine