Busy job = Exercise?

RedVelvetCurls
RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I work in a cafe over the weekends, and it gets very busy, especially on a Saturday. I rush around making snacks and drinks and serve them on tables, so my feet are in agony at the end of the day! Would you say this is exercise? I work 7:30am-5pm on Saturdays and by the end of the day, I can barely keep my eyes open.

Replies

• vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Definitely...if it's only 1 day a week. I work Hallmark part time. I count about 100 calories per hour of retail worked in order to make sure I'm eating enough on those days. Now if that was your reg. 5 day a week job, I'd say no, because your body was used to the activity level.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    it also depends on how you set you job activity up to begin with if you said your job was active then that would already be reflected in your calories allowance if you said your job was mainly sat on your bum then it would count as exercise cals. I set mine to low activity level as I do alot of school runs but I also spend alot of the time sat on the floor or at a table doing activities with the children I look after while I find my job to be quite physically and mentally exhausting I don't log it as exercise x
  • I would say yes, but I have a couple of suggestions.

First of all, wear a pedometer. Track the steps that you are walking around on your feet all day. There are free online programs to tell you how many minutes (roughly) that you walked and you can track them here.

If you are bussing tables too, there are some arm exercises you can incorporate into your day that you can do while doing those same things.

Also, and you may be doing this already, do squats or lunges. That would break up the routine and help stretch your muscles a little bit more.

By the end of the day, you are good on the exercise front. Just don't forget to eat.

Hope that helps.
  • bstiver
    bstiver Posts: 57 Member
    I would say yes. Fridays is my worst diet day, I always go way over, but I almost lose the most when I weigh in the next day (I weigh myself every day). On friday I work at a school 7-3 (I am student teaching) then go to my normal job 330-11. Especially because Fridays are test days and I am circling the room alllllll day and never sit down. lol
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    it also depends on how you set you job activity up to begin with if you said your job was active then that would already be reflected in your calories allowance if you said your job was mainly sat on your bum then it would count as exercise cals. I set mine to low activity level as I do alot of school runs but I also spend alot of the time sat on the floor or at a table doing activities with the children I look after while I find my job to be quite physically and mentally exhausting I don't log it as exercise x

Great advice, thank you!!

Thanks for your responses everyone! I love my job now, haha! :D
  • i have my activity at sedentry cos that is my life most of the week but for 3 hours a day over the weekend i do intense cleaning of a wedding venue i count it
This discussion has been closed.