Reading "Why We Get Fat" by Taubes

Options
I am almost through "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About it" by Gary Taubes. It's a very good book and is worth a read. The first few chapters are a bit repetitive but then it flows and gets into the issues. Anyone else read it? If you have been obese most of your life like me or even became overweight later in life it is very validating and helpful. He supports his book throughout with medical research. I have read other books with his theories of insulin being the cause over fat storage but the science behind it in this book was very interesting to me.

Replies

• ssswalsh
    ssswalsh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your ticker and I have to say it LOOKS GREAT! Very happy to see that u are gaining control of life. Each day becomes more enjoyable. Good luck.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I am almost through "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About it" by Gary Taubes. It's a very good book and is worth a read. The first few chapters are a bit repetitive but then it flows and gets into the issues. Anyone else read it? If you have been obese most of your life like me or even became overweight later in life it is very validating and helpful. He supports his book throughout with medical research. I have read other books with his theories of insulin being the cause over fat storage but the science behind it in this book was very interesting to me.
    I have read some of this, but I found Mindless Eating ( by Brian Wansink) a better book related to the impact of the foods around us and how we do not realize the calories we eat, that helped me get eating under control.

Having read quite a bit (IMHO) I believe in food balance and portion control rather than the absence of a food category (ie balance between carbs, protein and fats aligned with good micro nutrients).

Also congratulations on your weight loss so far, it looks like you have found what works for you - well done

However there are lessons to be learnt through reading widely and not just taking one viewpoint, so it is always good to do ones own research
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that book but wanted to congratulate you on your incredible weight loss so far! WOW! :) Keep up the great work!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the nice comments.:flowerforyou: And as to the absence of a food category I have not removed any macro nutrient from my diet rather limited it. Instead of the fattening 300g a day suggested by the food pyramid mine is more in the 100g a day of carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits. Some people are lucky and can eat anything they want in moderation others like me cannot since are bodies are predisposed to depositing fat. And, I have read every book on the market I believe about diet- being that I have been obese my entire life not just a few weeks, months, or years like many people. This book actually backs up a study I was part of in 1979 (I was 4 turning 5) at the NIH in Bethesda, MD. They found I was hyperinsulinemic and needed to follow a lower carb diet to lose weight. So I was glad a book like this was published with the research to back it up not just the beliefs of the author.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks for the nice comments.:flowerforyou: And as to the absence of a food category I have not removed any macro nutrient from my diet rather limited it. Instead of the fattening 300g a day suggested by the food pyramid mine is more in the 100g a day of carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits. Some people are lucky and can eat anything they want in moderation others like me cannot since are bodies are predisposed to depositing fat. And, I have read every book on the market I believe about diet- being that I have been obese my entire life not just a few weeks, months, or years like many people. This book actually backs up a study I was part of in 1979 (I was 4 turning 5) at the NIH in Bethesda, MD. They found I was hyperinsulinemic and needed to follow a lower carb diet to lose weight. So I was glad a book like this was published with the research to back it up not just the beliefs of the author.
    It is wonderful that you found a lifestyle (I prefer that word to diet) that suits you, and it does work for you. Also I congratulate you for reading widely and getting the knowledge you need. It means you are armed to deal with what the food world throws at you.

I know different ideas resonate with different people, and that is what makes the world a great place..
  • johnnya2
    Options
    Taubes and all the Atkin disciples types are not only frauds, but dangerous to people's health.
    You were overweight. DId you get that way from too much fruit and vegetables? I doubt it. The other issue I take is losing weight is NOT the only goal of the foods you eat. It is to get all the proper nutrients. The fact he believes you are "born" or "predisposed" to be fat goes against all logic. Why hasn't this happened for centuries?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I read the article in Readers Digest the other month. One of the things I had an issue with is that his argument against calorie counting is that for example being over 20 calories a day for a decade would make you gain 20 lbs over 10 years. He says it's too close a margin to have any control over - but, that's to say you counted for 10 years with no adjustment whatsoever as you slowly gained weight. I know the argument is that a little bit off adds up, but 20 calories (or even 1000) over here and there, and under other days and watching the scale and the tape measure over time with adjustments up or down as needed, and this "suddenly 10 years later you've gained 20 lbs even though you were counting calories" argument is down the drain. I do think that different diets work for different people. Personally, even if low/no carb totally worked for me, I like carbs too much to completely cut them out (plus I can afford them!) :)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Taubes and all the Atkin disciples types are not only frauds, but dangerous to people's health.
    You were overweight. DId you get that way from too much fruit and vegetables? I doubt it. The other issue I take is losing weight is NOT the only goal of the foods you eat. It is to get all the proper nutrients. The fact he believes you are "born" or "predisposed" to be fat goes against all logic. Why hasn't this happened for centuries?

The response would be that compared to - say - the 1950s, not only have we started to eat more calories, but within that excess more carbohydrates, while we've reduced fats and proteins. Research like Taubes' also suggests that heart disease may be partly caused by a response to high blood glucose and insulin levels.The same seems to be true for certain types of cancers.

One other thing I want to add is that research shows that babies with a very low weight at birth are indeed predisposed to becoming overweight adults. And they are at a higher risk of developing insulin related disorders. Of course, in former centuries, such children mostly died at or shortly after birth, but not anymore.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/24/12/2035.full.pdf
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    To those who had constructive things to say thanks!:flowerforyou: No need to add to this thread I will not be coming back to it I really do not want to see the hateful comments some people are leaving.