Exercise make you weight more??

Options
I am interested in finding out whether exercise makes you weight more as muscle weighs more than fat? I know there isnt a general answer to the question but any info will help! :smile:

Replies

• BeckyCote
    Options
    For me personally (some one who is only 5 feet tall but started out at 150lbs) when I began to exercise I noticed a slight drop on the scale then it went back up because I began to build alot more muscle then I had before. Muscle weighs approximately 4 times more then fat does and you need to build muscle first which will burn the fat off. This may not be the best answer but maybe it will point you in the right direction.
  • jill_wa
    Options
    Muscles do not weigh more...a pound is a pound. Building more lean muscle should make you look/feel skinnier though even if you weigh the same.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    For women to build enough muscle to make a noticable difference on the scale you must have pushed some seriously hard weights for at least a month!

If that's not the case then that's not the explanation for any gain.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Depends upon the kind of exercise. Cardio exercise like walking, running, etc. generally burns calories without adding muscle mass. On the other hand, strength (or weight) training exercises build muscles and since muscle weighs more than fat, yes your weight will go up.

My personal trainer is about 5' 10" tall, well toned, not a lick of fat anywhere on his body. He has abs to die for. However, if you put his height and weight into the BMI calculator on this site, he is overweight and just one number away from being obese. Trust me ladies, he is anything but obese.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you have not exercised in a while your musles will retain water to help repair them. This will cause a slight increase in weight at the begginning of a new program. After two weeks your muscles will return to normal.

You CANNOT build muscle in a calories deficit. You can't build a house without wood, your body cannnot build anything if it already doesn't have enough calories to maintain it's present mass. If you are eating in a calorie surlpus it takes weeks of lifting to build muscle. Evolutionally the human body does not like to add muscle. It's caloricly expensinve to maintain, and back in the Captain Cave Man days the body wasn't about to make it need MORE food when it was already scarce.

You're not going to accidently gain muscle. Especially if you are a woman.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Muscles do not weigh more...a pound is a pound. Building more lean muscle should make you look/feel skinnier though even if you weigh the same.

Sorry, the "correct" way to state the muscle weighs more than fat scenario is, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

I stand corrected.
  • tlp8rb
    Options

Sorry, the "correct" way to state the muscle weighs more than fat scenario is, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

I stand corrected.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    a pound is a pound
    however a pound of fat takes up less space then a pound of fat..
    so if you are building muscle it is possible to not see the scale move but the inches will get smaller
  • sniffum35
    sniffum35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. This means that it takes up less space (makes you look skinnier). If two people that were the same height and same weight were put next to eachother, the one with a higher proportion of muscle would look skinnier. So, while you could actually gain weight, it is likely that you would look better.

For 99% of girls, resistance training will change body composition and tone and NOT make them bulky.