Just got an Injury - Devastated

Options
Not long discovered MFP and am loving it in terms of tracking my inputs (which was my biggest weakness).

I do a lot of boxing and have a weighin this Tuesday for the halfway mark of a Body Fat goal my trainer has set me, was confident that my recent efforts were going to put me in a good position.

I also play football (soccer) and burn a ton of calories every time we train (especially as its currently preseason), although football was my passion in the past, its taking second place to boxing with football now nothing more than a means to burn extra calories for my my boxing goals. And thats the frustration after yesterdays incident..........

Our first preseason game of the season, coach gave me the green light pregame to add a bit of grunt to my game. He wanted me to hussle and hit the defenders, he wanted me to be an animal out there in our attack................ the role I love to play! All was going great until about the 30th minute when I went for a loose ball in front of goal. I dived for the ball when a solid defender hit me from behind causing me to turn my body unexpectedly and land full wait on my elbow, driving my upper arm into my shoulder. The arm went numb and the pain shot through me............... I couldnt help but give a growl of pain. I tried to get up but my team mates told me to stay down and await a quick substitution. Im not one to leave a pitch through injury, but I knew they were right.

The adrenalin was still pumping so after a twenty minute rest I went back on and played the remainder of the game, albeit the arm was still sore.............. it was bearable.

However, once the adrenalin died down, it was agony. I couldnt even spray deodorant under my arm after the postgame shower. I continued to wake during the night whenever I moved it in my sleep and this morning its still very tender to move. The pain and/or numbness is in my upper arm, elbow and wrist, it has limited strength. I'm thinking I have no choice but visit a doctor.

I cant help but feel a little depressed at present, frustrated that of all the injuries it has to be one that will potentially disrupt my boxing training. It's even making me question whether playing football is worth the risk, that I should take a year off football, a game that I have been playing since I was five years old (27 years in total).

I'm hoping the pain will subside and I'll be training this week, but I cant help but have doubt in the pit of my stomach.

The pain doesnt compare to the emotional disappointment I'm feeling right now. I'm devastated.

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that! I can imagine your disappointment and frustration. Hope the doctors can help heal you up quickly and well!
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Most importantly, get to a doctor, get it looked at and see what's wrong. Rest and rehab can go a long way!! You have youth on your side!!! Only by getting it evaluated can you know what you can and possibly should not do in the future. Physical Therapy, if necessary, can do wonders too!! Don't look at it as insurmountable, it is just an obstacle that can make you stronger, mentally and physically.

Keep eating healthy and excercising, bike, stairstepper, treadmill.

I have a very bad knee, no cartilage, and have had this problem for many years (and I am still pretty young for this problem!). I gave up on exercising because of it and gained 50 pounds, on top of the 30 or so I was already carrying. So you can imagine the increased pain and discomfort on my knee joint. So now I am working with a trainer who helps me to strengthen my knee, takes into account my limitations, and has made me realize that, despite my weak knee, I can stay fit and active. You can too!!
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Cant get an Xray on a Sunday (closed) so need to wait until Monday............. Dr is worried that it may be a fracture and/or ligament damage to the shoulder and elbow. Fingers crossed (excuse the pun) that its only internal muscle damage.
  • digit78
    Options
    Good news, Doctor believes it only soft tissue damage so will only have to rest the arm for about a week.

I've also been on the phone to my Boxing Trainer and he has a few ideas on things we can do to this week so that I can keep up with some form of training.

The only dilemma is my decision about football, I went into this season with a cloud of doubt about whether I wanted to play. Now this injury (albeit not as bad as first thought) has had me thinking that I dont want to risk any more disruptions to my Boxing training.................... after 27 years of playing, am I ready to walk away from the game?
  • digit78
    Options
    Any tips on reducing Bruising as it seems to be getting worse day by day?

175209_10150096224894764_635869763_5946039_4599109_o.jpg

EDIT: how do you attach a picture to the post?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about the emotional part. I have been unable to do my normal cardio workouts for almost three weeks now due to an ankle injury. I, literally, couldn't run. Not as in it hurt to much to run, but as in I physically could not push off at all in more than a staggered limp on my right foot.

After getting so into my six night a week workouts and especially after the huge improvements I'd recently made on the treadmill, the emotional upset at not being able to work out at all was almost worst than the pain of the injury. I actually resented my ankle and would get jealous anytime I saw the lights on in our apartment fitness center because those people got to work out and I didn't.

Tomorrow will be my first night back, taking it lightly of course, so as not to immediately reinjure anything. But having to deal with the emotional stress of not being able to do something I'd grown to love so much was really wearing on me. I'm very grateful to finally be on the mend!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have soft tissue damage, or sore muscles I use Traumeel, and Arnica pellets. Plus I ice for the first day or so and then I do a contrast hydro where I have 2min warm/hot and 1 min cold/cool this increases circulation and helps heal a bit faster as well as resting it.
    After a week or when pain has subsided I usually get a deep tissue massage to help break down any scar tissue and also increase circulation.

Always helps me.
  • digit78
    Options
    Thanks for the help and encouragement guys. :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Good news it's only soft tissue damage, rather than a torn ligament or a fracture.

There are very difficult choices to make when you enjoy and compete in sports where one sport has the potential to cause set backs in the other... Very difficult choices.

I got into triathlon because pure running kept getting me injured, so I added other cross training (initially just to fill the non running days) and eventually found tri.

I guess the question for you is about "full potential". If you have the potential to be a very good boxer, are you holding yourself back by contuing with football. At the same time it's something you enjoyed for a long time and may miss if not taking part.

Hard decisions. :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Any tips on reducing Bruising as it seems to be getting worse day by day?

175209_10150096224894764_635869763_5946039_4599109_o.jpg

EDIT: how do you attach a picture to the post?

You need to copy all the html code for that image, and change the IMG coding at the start and end of the code to lower case, keeping the brackets, and as long as your image has not been moved or deleted, as the one you attempted to put in apparently has been, it should work.

Good luck with your recovery.
  • digit78
    Options
    There are very difficult choices to make when you enjoy and compete in sports where one sport has the potential to cause set backs in the other... Very difficult choices.

I got into triathlon because pure running kept getting me injured, so I added other cross training (initially just to fill the non running days) and eventually found tri.

I guess the question for you is about "full potential". If you have the potential to be a very good boxer, are you holding yourself back by contuing with football. At the same time it's something you enjoyed for a long time and may miss if not taking part.

Hard decisions. :flowerforyou:

Im probably too old to know whether I cam be a good boxer, however am still young enough to have a crack at a few exhibitio fights. However boxing does give me a more rounded approach to my health and fitness. Plus football has become to stressful as you are very much reliant on other people............ Whereas boxing is all down to me, success or failure is a reflection of me and me alone.

The latter is a surprisingly nice and free feeling for someone who has only ever competed in team sports.

However, after so log playing football I can't help but feel sad, it's like I'm breaking up with someone I love, made worse by the fact I still watch football.......... It's like breaking up with someone then seeing them out all the time with their new partner! Ha
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel as last summer I injured my ring finger playing football with my boyfriend on a league. I caught the ball wrong and it jammed my finger. It didn't hurt at first but by the time I got to the emergency room it did. I have what they called a swan neck deformity or mallet finger. It has straightened up 80% but will never be the same. I'm just grateful that's all I injured. I love football but now I jog and hoopdance while everyone else plays ball. Sucks but I need my fingers, I'm a receptionist...=(

Hope you feel better soon!
  • digit78
    Options
    Been kickin along at boxing with only leg and abs work this week (still feels great to work up a sweat). However, I stupidly tried to lift my dog into the hydro-bath at the vet yesterday and my wrist has been agony since.................. not sure whats worse, the return of pain or the fact that it was such an uncool incident that sparked it again! Ha
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    not sure whats worse, the return of pain or the fact that it was such an uncool incident that sparked it again! Ha

I pulled my hip flexor really badly once when holding a box while getting out of a low sports car... stepped into a puddle with leaves in it, slipped and did the splits while holding a big box... :grumble:

Another good one was when I dropped a dumbell on my hand and caused a hairline fracture in my middle finger! :huh:

You're not alone!! :flowerforyou:
  • digit78
    Options
    Ive managed to drop 4.4kg (10lbs) since Jan 6th, the best thing though is that most of that weight loss has come during the time I was injured and training restricted.

Thanks to MFP and the MFP community....... who knows what I'll be dropping once I can start boxing again!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Awesome Congrats!!! Was there a secret to it? what did you do in terms of exercise while you were recovering?
  • digit78
    Options
    Hit my legs and abs hard, working 8 sets of 8 reps with minimal rest periods. Only did that a couple of times a week however where possible I would walk/run home from the train station.

More than anything I just tried to be concious of my inputs, I wasn't too strict (had a few bad days) but just conscious enough to know I had to make up for it at some point.
  • digit78
    Options
    Just wants to give an update for anyone going through injury!

The injury I suffered had me out for two months and then flaired up again that had me out for another month, so a total of 3mths from 6 (with no upper body work - not good if your Boxing!!).

However the injury is well and truly behind me, I'm boxing better than ever and dropped 10kg since January (7kg since using MFP). My heart rate and recovery is one of the most noticeable improvements. Finally, I knocked off 30seconds on my time in the fire exit stair runs at my gym, going from 5m44s down to 5m05s (the record is 4m30s set by one of the trainers).

So if your hurting at the moment, Use It.......... You can come back stronger!