Px90, Insanity, or Turbofire?

Options
I have lost 14 lbs yea so far with diet and getting back in shape. I run on the treadmill and alternate with strength training videos on the cable tv. I am ready to step it up and lose the last half with investing in a good 12 week program. These are a lot of money, but I am ready to have a little more guidance and push to get really down to where I want to be.

So which do you like best and why? I am actually frightened of px90! It sounds so hard! I will be working out when my baby #5 sleeps, or at night when hubby is home.

Please share what you like and why, and your successes. Was it worth the money? Thanks! I got the go ahead from hubby, but can't decide which one!!

(And another question? I need a good workout shoe! I have an old pair of NB shoes, but I would like something a little more lightwieight that still cushions with heavy cardio...any thoughts)

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Replies

• cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire is pretty much all cardio. You can do a hybrid of it with another program (like p90x or ChaLean Extreme) but there is only one "weight" workout and it's done with resistance band. I am doing TF right now and really love it.

p90x is tough but is a great weight workout. I did 12 weeks last summer and honestly, I will probably never do it again. My tennis elbow always flares up when I start lifting and by week 8 my arms were screaming at me. Plus, it is a huge time commitment if you work full time (at the time I wasn't). 75 to 90 minutes of exercise aren't really my cup of tea, I'd rather devote 30-45 and be done.

Insanity it is all cardio and is intended only as a 60 day program.

Have you considered ChaLean Extreme? It is a weight/cardio program. I also have done Turbo Jam and it is a lot of fun, there are a few workouts that include weights/resistance bands.
  • simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have turbofire and p90x. I Love them both! I made my own hybrid schedule because they're both great programs! I LOVE turbofire because it's fun and it's a great calorie burner! I LOVE P90X because of the weight training. I would do both if you have the opportunity! Turbofire does have strength training sections that use a resistance band and p90x has cardio sections (which i loath.. seriously...they suck, not fun at all). :) If you can only choose one however, my whole vote is for TurboFire. Chalene Johnson is such an inspiration! I can email you the hybrid schedule if you're interested, just msg me.

Hope this helps!

Nila
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with the other programs, but P90X is HARDCORE!!!
    I only lasted 17 days before I switched to the 30 day shred. Shorter & less intense but still great results!
    ....However, my husband is on day 25 of P90X & has already lost 12lbs & he didn't have much to lose to start with! Oh yeah, and we borrowed it from a friend so free was a nice price!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!:flowerforyou:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've only done P90X of the work outs that you mentioned but I HIGHLY recommend it. You get amazing results and each work out is an hour long except yoga which is an hour and a half. There are different levels of the exercises that are shown so you can work at your own level. I no longer use the videos but I do the work outs at my gym 2x a week as a hybrid training plan with my marathon training. P90X has a mix of cardio, lifting, abs, and stretching which I feel is the ideal program for over all weight loss. Totally worth it!

As for the shoes, I'm a runner so I'd suggest going to a running shoe store and they will fit you for a shoe that meets your fitness needs and your body.

Good luck!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    All three programs are worth the money. I have done P90X and Insanity. Insanity is pure cardio with push-ups. P90X is an over all program with cardio DVD's, two stretch DVD's, and a few weight lifting DVD's. P90X does have a lean version within the same program that many people opt to do. Turbo Fire is kickboxing moves with great music and a lot of people LOVE this workout. The program that is most intimidating is Insanity. All programs would help to step up your game.
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have read some posts about hybrids...do you have to buy both then? And you just tailor the workouts of both? Maybe after I go through a round of one I will look into that...
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    i am in my 2nd P90X and Insanity hybrid right now. Yes, you would buy both programs to do the hybrid unless you can borrow it. I'm hearing from several people that their local libraries are starting to carry the 12 P90X DVD's. P90X really isn't that difficult. my next purchase is going to be Turbo Fire. With that, I want to do a P90X / Turbo Fire hybrid.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I have done both Insanity and Turbo Fire so I'll speak to those. Insanity is a 60 day total body program that uses your own body weight as resistance. The workouts are all between 35 and 50 minutes long and you will SWEAT like you've never sweated before! It is hard but what program that guarantees results in such a short amount of time wouldn't be hard. As Shaun T says, it's not for the weak. If you're serious about committing to the entire program then you will get results.

Turbo Fire is my soulmate workout. It is a 90 day program and you can purchase an advanced series to extend the program another 60 days. Turbo Fire combines high intensity interval training (HIIT) with long intense cardio (combining kickboxing, plyometrics/jump training, and calisthenics to create the routines). The workouts run between 30 and 60 minutes long. The program does include strength training, ab/core work, and stretching/yoga workouts to make it a well rounded program. The music is awesome and totally pumps you up. Your cardio endurance will skyrocket as you progress through the series.

You can't go wrong with any of these programs. People get REAL RESULTS from using them if they fully commit to the workout and nutrition.

Sharon
  • tamnjer
    tamnjer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I picked up NB Walking shoes and they are working nicely for me. They are light weight and have cushion!
  • tamnjer
    tamnjer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    R u talking about Jillian Michaels 30 day shred? I have that one and I really like it! My hubby signed me up at the gym for 1 year since he has a membership already. He's my workout buddy and inspiration - he pushes me when I need it!