Snacks

Options
I work in a office and everyday around 3 I am starving. I have my lunch at 12:45. the question is I am looking for new snack ideas. I always eat a yogurt, or vegies and low fat dip or low fat chips but getting sick of eating the same ol same ol. any ideas would be great.

Replies

• jnicole018
    jnicole018 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered these Pretzel Crisps.. They are 110 calories for 11 crisps & they are delicous!
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    String cheese! Just pay attention to the labels..try the cottage cheese doubles..100 cals for on container and they come with fruit..try pudding snack packs as well:)
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Salsa--If you rine them enough, they are really good!!

1 can Black Beans--rinsed and drained REALLY well
    1 can of rotel chili's
    Fresh Garlic (I don't like the taste of raw garlic, so I brown mine in a cast iron skillet w/olive oil cooking spray
    Fresh Lemon (about a half)
    Cilantro (how ever much you like, prob about 1/4c)
    Onion

Make this the night before so it can marinate. But, mix all of this together and refrigerate before serving. 1/2c per serving and you'll get about 5 servings. I can't remember what the exact amount of cal's are, but I do know its less than 100.

Also, popcorn is really good, and you can eat the good stuff and split it in half! Wheat thins are really good too.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    try a protein and carb item maybe. walnuts/sunflower seeds with blueberries or a small fruit cup. cheese with an apple or pear. hummus on a tortilla with greens, tomato and cucumber, turkey and cheese rollup with avocado.
  • Shell521
    Shell521 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered these Pretzel Crisps.. They are 110 calories for 11 crisps & they are delicous!

I agree those pretzel crisps are gooood! Their by pepridge farm! I also like apple cinnamon rice cakes, almonds, popcorn, and any of the 100 calorie packs really.
  • liquey2007
    Options
    My mom got me started on sesame sticks. I'm not sure the exact nutritional value at this exact moment but we've been doing 1/3 of a cup. It makes for a good snack!
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I make my own tortilla chips for when I need "crunch". super low in fat if that is a concern.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I love almonds or any type of nuts, just pre-portion instead of our of the bag! Make sure you're eating enough protein and fiber at lunch, that's a pretty short time to be hungry! Good job getting good snacks ready!!!
  • jpmajors
    Options
    frozen grapes
    Low Fat yogurt and fruit
    Pistachios
    Rice Cakes
    Apple or celery with peanut butter
    Cheerios
    triscuits
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I have the same type of schedule and really try to avoid the snacks that are available at work around the time that I get hungry int he afternoon. I try not to have too many snacks available because then I end up overeating them while not paying attention througout the day. I usually restock my bag with a few snack choices every day. I usually have a few apples at my desk and some different flavored rice cakes that everyone in the office likes to snack on.
    Then I pack special K bars (the chocolate pretzel ones are so great for cravings), the babybell cheese wheels, almonds or other nuts, carrots, cauliflower and a laughing cow cheese wedge, homemade trail mix or granola, half a peanut butter sandwich....
    The options are much more open if you have access to a fridge. I dont usually use the fridge but sometimes bring yogurt or cottage cheese and cut up fruit. I have recently started mixing up a half can tuna with a laughing cow cheese wedge (any flavor) instead of mayo and bringing a few whole wheat crackers.

Good luck and I am looking forward to some other interesting ideas!!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    popcorn is good -- plus you can have a ton of it for not too many calories. i know some people don't think too highly of microwave popcorn, but i really love the popSecret 100 calorie bags.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    try to have a mix of protein and carb. That protein will go a lot further than the carb. Maybe some nuts? But you definitely want to eat every 2-3 hours, so good idea about the snack. Hopefully you have a mid morning snack too?
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Have you tried those Jello sugar free 60 calorie puddings? Those are really good and you can't tell they're sugar free. There are also reduced sodium cheese and of course fruits are good too.
  • chopper91
    Options
    thank you all for the great ideas and how do you make homemade tortilla chips and what is a healthy thing to dip them in?
  • tarrox
    tarrox Posts: 47
    Options
    thank you all for the great ideas and how do you make homemade tortilla chips and what is a healthy thing to dip them in?

I get Joseph's Pitas at walmart (only 60 calories each) and slice them in half and then slice them into triangles with a pizza cutter. Mist a baking sheet and the chips with olive oil. Sprinkle on some sea salt, chili powder, and cumin. Bake at 350 for about 7-8 minutes. Very good!
  • chopper91
    Options
    That sounds really I am going to have to try them..maybe tonight I will try and make them.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Salsa--If you rine them enough, they are really good!!

1 can Black Beans--rinsed and drained REALLY well
    1 can of rotel chili's
    Fresh Garlic (I don't like the taste of raw garlic, so I brown mine in a cast iron skillet w/olive oil cooking spray
    Fresh Lemon (about a half)
    Cilantro (how ever much you like, prob about 1/4c)
    Onion

Make this the night before so it can marinate. But, mix all of this together and refrigerate before serving. 1/2c per serving and you'll get about 5 servings. I can't remember what the exact amount of cal's are, but I do know its less than 100.

I just entered this in the recipe builder: Per Serving: 77 cals, 20 carbs, 0 fat, 6 protein and 5 fiber. This may be my new snack!!
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options

the pita bread (without the seasoning, just oil) and the salsa listed above. Yumm.