Fruit Questions- Help!

Options
Hello everyone! I am a newer member of mfp but so far I love it. It's been a real help with my attempt to alter my diet. I am having a problem with counting the serving size of fruit though. I work at a hotel and my job provides me breakfast and I select a fresh fruit plate and it's so yummy. My only issue comes when I'm trying to accept for my calorie intake later. It is similar to a fruit salad with strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, honeydew, cantaloup and pineapple usually but it's all freshly sliced and not cubed in syrup.

Any idea on how many pieces are equal to a cup? I usually use about 3.5 cups but that doesn't seem to reflect enough as it's
enough that I feel like I've just had a meal, not a snack- and it's only about 160 calories. Are there not a great number of calories in fruit? I'm sorry I my questions are kinda dumb but I've never really paid attention to it before now. Also I know there is sugar- but it's not corn or cane sugar so is it okay to have so much everyday? Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply!

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    what i would do is buy cheap measuring cups and spoons and keep them with u..it keeps me really honest..hope that helps!
  • kzskstir
    Options
    A cup is slightly smaller than your fist, just kinda eyeball it and see how it goes. Fruit does contain a lot of natural sugar so you need to watch and not eat it all the time, but if it is fresh and not in syrup, you are way ahead of the game.
  • Pange33
    Options
    Three and a half cups I would say is a meal size. Once you factor in all the fluid in fruit, you should feel like you've eaten a meal. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the calories though. It seems a little low, but I could be wrong!
  • active0health
    active0health Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good info and suggestions guys!