Cooking Challenge: Eggplant

Options
2»

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    As per usual, I have to cop out of this one again. I even BOUGHT the eggplant but my weekends are way too busy and I haven't had time over the last two days. No time to eat anything I make, so it would just be a waste. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to seeing all the recipes! :heart:
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe. :)

DSCN2183small.jpg

Grilled Mozzarella Eggplant Rolls

Ingredients:
    Generic - Sliced Eggplant - Grilled With Skin, 2 eggplant unpeeled (approx 1-1/4 lb)
    Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese - Mozzarella 2% Milk Reduced Fat, 0.5 cup
    Classico - Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)

Directions:
    1. Thinly slice eggplant. Place eggplant in a strainer and cover with salt. Let set 20 mins. Then rinse.
    2. Heat George Forman Grill until hot.
    4. Grill eggplant for 3 mins on each side. (you will have to turn it because they are too small)
    5. Now spread the tomato pesto on each slice of grilled eggplant.
    6. sprinkle a little 2% mozzarella cheese ontop of the pesto on each slice.
    7. Fold each filled eggplant in half.
    8. Grill again until mozzarella cheese is just melted.

Total per serving: (one serving is 4 - 5 rolls)
    Calories 91, Fat 5g, Fiber 2g, Protien 4g, Carbs 8g, Sugar 4g

We had this tonight and my whole family loved it!! Even the 7 year old and the teen. I fixed it for everyone and no one said anything bad. My teen said it was beast!! lol. We used it as the main dish but you could also use it as a side dish.

I add a picture so I hope it shows up. I'm new at that. :)
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Time to vote... http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

!!! Voting ends Wednesday February 16th at 5PM PST.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I made this "low calorie Mousaka" http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1725,152165-236205,00.html. I brushed my eggplant slices with a bit of olive oil and baked them for a while. It actually turned out to be pretty good.

There are no nutrient values on the site nor here,... not good at figuring, do you have the values?
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I dont salt mine because i dont like salt at all!! I dont use any salt as it makes me sick!!

She said to rinse off the salt, so you actually don't have to consume it.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I just had this absolutely delicious burrito this weekend, and it had big chunks of eggplant and mashed beans in it! I wish I had tried it sooner so I could try to replicate it at home for this challenge :tongue:
  • xerinx2011
    Options
    I dont salt mine because i dont like salt at all!! I dont use any salt as it makes me sick!!

She said to rinse off the salt, so you actually don't have to consume it.

I can still taste it! Rinsing may remove the actual salt but its the taste i hate!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome combination of Baba Ganoush and Regular Hummus. It is fantastic as a dip, or spread on some brown bread or a wholemeal pitta with spinach and sundried tomatoes.It's truly beautifull .....

Aubergine Hummus
    Serves: 8

1 aubergine
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2g cumin
    200g chickpeas, dried
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken/veggie stock cube

Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
    Then cook them in the same water with the stock cube added in for 20 mins.
    Roast the aubergine until the skin is blackened. When it is cooled you can just peel off the skin and the flesh will be mostly mashable.
    Mash the aubergine with the crushed garlic, salt, cumin, lemon juice and olive oil.
    Drain the chick peas but reserve the water.
    Add the chickpeas to the aubergine mixture with a little of the reserved water and blitz with a hand blender. Add a little more water if it is too thick, but not too much.

It makes 8 large (100g) portions, but you could stretch it out further.

123 calories per serving, 3.4g F, 0.4g SF, 19.1 C, 4.1g S, 6.4g Fb, 5.6g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Aubergine
  • MMK72
    MMK72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is really lazy of me I'm not going to cook it, but I feel I should share it.

It's the tastiest eggplant I've ever eaten - I tried it when traveling there..

I don't know if this is the exact dish but it comes up when you google "Georgian eggplant dish" - how many can there be??

I don't think it's too healthy if you deep fry the eggplant though, try charcoal grilling or baking in the oven instead - I'm sure the dish I tried was grilled eggplant.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000258342

And I just found this website! Classic!

http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a day late, but congratulations to melkneec and her Grilled Mozzarella Eggplant Rolls for winning the challenge!
  • rachelshawnacole
    Options
    1-eggplant sliced into 8 rounds (skin-on)
    1/4 cup -FF Mayo (spread in a thin layer on both sides of the eggplant.)
    Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder sprinkled on both sides of the eggplant.
    1/4-1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.

Lay the eggplants out on nonstick foil on cookie sheets. Sprinkle with spices and Parmesan cheese. Pre-heat oven to 425. Bake for 25-30 min until eggplants are soft and cheese is melted.