Disgraceful verdict by jury

Options
Thomasm198
Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
This is my big big rant. I heard today that a lovely member of society that killed a police officer in 2009 by driving a car over the Officer was found "not guilty" of the officers manslaughter by a jury.

The judge told the jury that they weren't to let the fact that it was only a police officer that was killed influence their decision.

Well thank you very much Mr. Nice Judge and Wonderful members of the jury. It is so nice to know that the lives of Police Officers count for so little in your eyes.

Would you like to come to the next funeral of a Police Officer killed on duty and explain to their family why their life was so unimportant in your eyes? Will you carry the coffin into the church? Will you march behind the funeral cortege as it makes its way to the graveyard? Will you try to explain to a young child why their mother or father will never be coming home again? Will you explain to a grieving mother or father why their son or daughter was so unimportant in your opinion?

As a serving Police Officer who has buried friends and co-workers it is so nice to know that the Judges and some members of the public think our lives are so unimportant.

End of angry rant. My apologies to anyone who may have felt that reading this was a waste of their time.

Replies

• myladyelliott
    Options
    Don't apologize!! You are absolutely right, and I'm with you 110%!
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thats horrible. One of my friends (Sheriff Deputy) was just murdered last year and it was absolutely devastating. These people don't realize the passion they have for the work, the hours they work and away from their families to keep YOUR families safe. Ugh this makes me so damn mad! Once I lose some more weight I am going to start testing to become a police officer and it would be nice to know if I am killed in the line of duty my life represents for something and the person that did it would pay... I bet the person that ran him over would have no problem calling 911 if they felt unsafe or needed assistance. What a shame, what a waste of life :(
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    HUGS
  • PST0622
    PST0622 Posts: 115
    Options
    No apologies needed.....

And, I agree with you completely!
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    While I completely agree that the person should have been rightly convicted if he were drunk or he did this purposefully/maliciously, I do find myself asking some questions.

Firstly, was this an accident? In other words, was it just a freak happening and did the driver completely not mean to run over the officer?

Because, it really does not matter if he were a civilian or an officer if this was a horrific mistake.

That being said, my dad was killed by a drunk driver.

I am a child who knows what it's like to have another person take your father away because of a stupid mistake. However, I do not hate the man who did it and I've moved on because at the end of the day, there's nothing else to do. Nothing will bring my father back, no amount of cursing, screaming, and crying will.

BUT, I can honor his memory, each and every day. I can think about him and how he watches over my mom, my three sisters, and I from heaven.

So, I will pray for your fellow officer's family, and I know that he'll be watching over his family as well.

And, thank you for your service to your state and your community. It is a very brave job to serve.
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    Daisy89, to answer your question: it was not an accident. He was driving a stolen car and mounted the footpath (sidewalk - whatever it is called in different countries) and drove over the police officer. The police officer wasn't in a vehicle and was standing on the footpath.

10 years ago I went through the exact same thing were a guy in a stolen car mounted the footpath and drove at me. The only difference was that I managed to get clear in time and only suffered bruising to my leg.
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    Just a link to a Facebook page explaining about the case and calling for the prosecution to appeal the verdict to the Court of Criminal Appeals
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Garda-McCallion/184485081591433?v=info