Walk the dog

Tarkine
Tarkine Posts: 8 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a 4 month old puppy and have been walking him every day until he had his toe broken from being trod on. Feel aweful, and now he has to rest.
:cry:

So exercise this week is not looking good! However, the weather is beautiful and gardening has been fun. I didn't realise how many calories you could burn in the garden. The dog is also happy to dig holes and rummage in weeds. :smile:

Just have to try and cut back on those beers now and all will be good again.

Replies

• CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    aww, poor pup. i sympathize...my pup has had a few medical problems and i haven't been able to walk her as much. not that she doesn't want to go outside, or to the dog park, she drives me nuts with wanting to go in fact. but luckily for her, and for my exercise, the 2 of us are back to being able to go walking.
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Poor pup.

At four months walking isn't a biggie - but socializing is. Can pup be carried somewhere there are other dogs to play with? or do you have friends with nice dogs pup can mix with?

When you get back to walking - remember for the first year, only walk 5 minutes per month old the pup is. So at 4 months, pup should be walked for a max of 20 minutes a day or you can risk damaging the growing joints. Good guide for small breeds, important rule for large breeds.

I've got three dogs - so someone always wants walking!! Old dog is a bit slow these days, but the youngsters can set quite a pace!!
This discussion has been closed.