New Vegetarian!

Options
Hello everybody! I'm new to this message board thing. Kinda just a reader, never a poster. But I need help...I'm trying to cut out meat and need friends to inspire me along the way. I'm married with 3 kids and there is no way the husband is going to go along with it. I've gone vegetarian before and I just cook my meals along with theirs but that is so tiring. The family has reluctantly agreed to go one night a week without meat, so that is a start.

I would love to read your updates on how your diet is going and the food choices you are making. I need to find interesting ways to slowing incorporate veggie foods into their lives.

Thanks and happy dieting!
Jody

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Hi! I'm nearly vegan - 'nearly' because I do occasionally eat fish if I go out for a meal, and I wear leather and wool. Normal day to day eating is animal-free though.

I have a hubby and 3 kids who eat meat. Add me if you like.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a vegetarian, have been for 2 years. You can do it! I know it can be exhausting with a family but make it a goal. You will feel amazing! Good luck!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! I'm so excited to reply to this, because I feel like our journey is kind of the same. (Except I don't have any kids yet!!)

I saw way too many horrific videos where animals were skinned alive and I just couldn't carry that burden anymore. My husband pretty much thought I was insane I was going vegetarian, but it didn't come to a shock because I had been talking about it for months before I finally bit the bullet.

I went totally cold turkey and made a commitment. The husband, although no way in heck he was going vegetarian, was starting to support my decision.

Wait - it gets better.

So for the first few months I was vegetarian, I would make dinners that were easy to alter. For example, if I made tacos, I would put beef in his, and avocado in mine. If I made pasta, I would put shrimp in his, and sundried tomatoes in mine. I LOVE to cook, but I agree, this got tiring. I think making meals that are easy to alter was the ticket.

Then it happened. All of a sudden, the husband said to me - "hey, I'm not saying I won't eat meat outside the house, because I probably will, but you won't have to make special meals for me anymore." This is coming from the kid who used to survive on Wawa Hot Dogs and iced tea. He was probably just grateful I cooked for him.

So this went on for several more months. We'd go to chick-fil-a - I'd get a side salad and some fries. He'd get a chicken sandwich. But still, he happily ate everything I made from fake meats (he loved those) to meatless chili, to meatless lasagna.

Eventually my husband decided to become a full-fledged vegetarian. I was super surprised and he's been vegetarian for like 5 months now at least.

I'm not saying it will happen to your husband (fingers crossed though) but if you got a little deep on him and explained why, you might be surprised that although he may not agree with you, he may support you. Even when I was a meat eater, I never ate meat for dinner every night. You can probably get away with several veggie meals a week.

If you want recipe ideas, etc, please friend me! I'd be glad to help.

xo and good luck.
  • modernfemme
    Options
    Hi! I'm nearly vegan - 'nearly' because I do occasionally eat fish if I go out for a meal, and I wear leather and wool. Normal day to day eating is animal-free though.

LOL!. Sorry I just find this really funny. I'm a vegetarian and I don't wear real leather. A VEGAN wouldn't be caught wearing leather, nor would they eat fish. Now, if you said you were nearly Vegan but you had milk every now and again, it wouldn't so Lol'able.
  • adimercurio
    Options
    Hello -

I am also "nearly - vegan" because I do eat honey and occasional dairy when I got out to restaurants. I have been eating this way for about two years now and my husband wouldn't eat beans, tofu, or tempeh when I started. So it does take time but now he eats all those things and even decided to try the month of February as a vegetarian!! I spent a lot of time research how to "veganize" his favorite recipes and trying out meat replacements. I also took some vegan cooking classes! Good luck and keep up the great work.
  • modernfemme
    Options
    Hello -
    I spent a lot of time research how to "veganize" his favorite recipes and trying out meat replacements. I also took some vegan cooking classes! Good luck and keep up the great work.

Yeah - I made my DH chipped "beef" - something his grandma makes and I think it finally won him over. I still think fake bacon tastes like overly salty dog food, but I really dig the texture.
  • imfit2
    Options
    Hope this goes well I am a lacto vegetarian...love my pizza and nacho's! My husband is a meat eater...a lot of times we have some sort of stir fry or vegi dish and he has his chicken or shrimp or fish on the side. Really very easy and you might find some recipes they won't mind going meatless...but make sure you are getting protein in the meatless meals through beans, tempeh etc...good luck!
  • jfink3
    jfink3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just joined the site a week ago so I could track my eating habits. I have recently decided that I want to tone up and maybe shed 10 pounds. I have been a vegetarian (exception of fish) for 18 years now (6th grade). Over the years the hardest thing has been making healthy choices, especially when eating out with my husband who doesn't eat many veggies. I think that the veggie hotdogs can be very good and have fooled my family members. Making small substitutions in recipes can be good, adding meatless crumbles into meals that have ground beef. I think that sometimes flavors can be lacking in vegetarian foods so looking into foods that can be spiced up or garlic added can help. I was at A. C. Moore the other day and they had a vegetarian cookbook for $3 and I bought it just to change up my own foods. I am looking into the Veganist cookbook by Kathy Freston after last weeks Oprah looking for new suggestions for substitutions and new recipes as well. Good luck with the family and keep it interesting!
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm gonna work real hard to eat right to inspire my family to do the same. I'm hoping that they notice how much better I feel (and look.)

As for the book The Veganist, I'm reading it now, but it is not a cookbook :(

Jody
  • KokomoJoe
    Options

LOL!. Sorry I just find this really funny. I'm a vegetarian and I don't wear real leather. A VEGAN wouldn't be caught wearing leather, nor would they eat fish. Now, if you said you were nearly Vegan but you had milk every now and again, it wouldn't so Lol'able.

5 years ago I did the same thing. I am a fisherman and still ate fish. I absolutely love leather and do and still wear it. During that time I ate vegan except for fish. Even tho I have gone back to a meat eating diet, I still do not eat dairy at all and rarely have red meat. I still believe it is the healthiest way to eat.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like the recipes on fatfreevegan.com

Even the non vegetarians in my family like the red beans and rice and the veggie lasagna.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options

That was kind of rude.

She did clarify what she meant, and it makes about as much sense as saying "I'm a pescetarian who avoids eating dairy and other animal products."
  • sammie14jayne
    Options
    Hey I have been a veggie all my life (23 years).My parents are so they bought me up on it,for moral reasons.I always feel that if your a veggie and eat the right foods you cant go wrong!My boyfriend is a meat eater and I am pretty sure when we move in he'll be ok with less meat based dinners. He loves the quorn spag bol i have made him before!
    good luck
    sam

2054243.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • modernfemme
    Options
    She did clarify what she meant, and it makes about as much sense as saying "I'm a pescetarian who avoids eating dairy and other animal products."

Not if you consider fish to be animals - which they are. But we could debate about that all day. I just don't get the label if you clearly aren't something - why call yourself it? It just makes it way more confusing for the rest of us who are strict to our diet.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    Vegetarian 2 years and counting! Add me if you like, I'm always coming up with delicious meat free meals and have even gotten my 13 year old brother to love some of my vegetarian foods! (he prefers veg buffalo wings to real chicken *gasp!*)

Good luck!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options

Not if you consider fish to be animals - which they are. But we could debate about that all day. I just don't get the label if you clearly aren't something - why call yourself it? It just makes it way more confusing for the rest of us who are strict to our diet.

I'm with you! I've run into several people that call themselves vegetarian but eat fish and/or chicken! That doesn't make you a vegetarian, that makes you a picky eater. Idk why its annoying it just is.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm "nearly vegan" as well. I really have diffculty with all the labels out their, and the implications of using any of them. I do not eat meat or fish, but occaisionally indulge in dairy.
    I also have a carnivorous husband and 2 children. I often cook meals that involve one main dish we can all enjoy and then meat on the side. about once a week I make an all vegan dinner for the family, and occasionally I cook one of their favourites and something completely different for me.
    Planning ahead is really helpful, and I love getting new recipes, although I mostly cook without following them. cleaneatingmag.com has some great ones!
    best of luck!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For fear of backlash if I use the wrong term, I guess I would call myself a meat/dairy restrictor. Though I do eat meat and dairy here and there, I would say about 80% of my meals are vegan, 90% vegetarian. I read a wonderful book by Rip Esselstyn who suggests a plant strong diet. Though he is pretty much Vegan, he discusses that even if you can't commit to the lifestyle 100%, you can make a major impact on your health, the environment, and the welfare of animals.

Don't let names bog you down. Do what feels right for you and keep your eyes peeled on here. I have seen tons of vegetarians, vegans, etc.! I will send you a friend request! :)
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Forgot to include the name of the book! Engine 2 Diet!
  • jimmymonkey
    Options
    For fear of backlash if I use the wrong term, I guess I would call myself a meat/dairy restrictor. Though I do eat meat and dairy here and there, I would say about 80% of my meals are vegan, 90% vegetarian. I read a wonderful book by Rip Esselstyn who suggests a plant strong diet. Though he is pretty much Vegan, he discusses that even if you can't commit to the lifestyle 100%, you can make a major impact on your health, the environment, and the welfare of animals.

Don't let names bog you down. Do what feels right for you and keep your eyes peeled on here. I have seen tons of vegetarians, vegans, etc.! I will send you a friend request! :)

haha...Good decion acknan ! and moving on, let me just say that I am seriously considering "cutting meat from my diet". My husband is game to go along with it, and uncertain if I can do it totally...tried before but I do get a craving for meat once in awhile, but I will check out the book you mention. Thanks.